Archived on 6/5/2022

Where to buy Christmas trees

Estelle_Lauren
10 Nov '20

At the risk of being more divisive than a marmite wrapped Brexit vote, I’m going there!

Does anyone know when Christmas trees will come into stock at the garden centre or the spot next to the station?

I’m usually an early December decorator but who knows in 2020!

ForestHull
10 Nov '20

I’m not sure about the other place, but @Shannonsgc are apparently expecting their first delivery of 1,000 trees sometime next week (w/c 16th), if that helps :christmas_tree: :christmas_tree: :christmas_tree:

Estelle_Lauren
10 Nov '20

Thank you!! This is great news!

ForestHull
15 Nov '20

Looks like the potted Christmas trees are already in, though it sounds like you need a bit of outside space to keep them ideal until you are ready for Christmas (assuming you aren’t ready for it already!):

GotDeletedOnce
20 Nov '20

The spot next to the station is opening this weekend with plenty of trees coming. Free local delivery and wrapping as usual.

Clair
20 Nov '20

Altogether now kids! Trees are in at @Shannonsgc

O Christmas tree,
O Christmas tree
Your leaves are so unchanging
O Christmas tree,
O Christmas tree

Not only green when
Summer’s here
But also when it’s cold and drear
O Christmas tree,
O Christmas tree

O Christmas tree,
O Christmas tree
Much pleasure you do give me
O Christmas tree,
O Christmas tree

How often has the Christmas tree
Given me the greatest glee
O Christmas tree,
O Christmas tree

From top to bottom
You’re so bright
There’s only splendor for the sight
O Christmas tree,
O Christmas tree
Your lights are shining brightly

O Christmas tree,
O Christmas tree
Your lights are shining brightly

Beige
20 Nov '20

On first glance, I thought this was a poll. Would have voted for ‘Christmas tree,’

se23blue
21 Nov '20

No doubt you will be fly posting all over Forest Hill as per usual, Lewisham council seem to let you do it with impunity.

GotDeletedOnce
21 Nov '20

You’re digging out the wrong person here.

Clair
22 Nov '20

Popped in @Shannonsgc earlier to pick up a birthday present. Lots of beautiful Xmas trees filling the aisles outside.
One of the ladies working outside commented that her feet were lovely & warm to her colleague. I asked her, her secret, we all laughed when she said rubber shoes😉.
Friendly service & a giggle :+1:

ForestHull
26 Nov '20

They have a hypnotic video of the Christmas trees on their Twitter too - watching this, is it just me or can anyone else actually can smell them while watching this?!

ForestHull
28 Nov '20

The fly posters have gone up, so the place next to the station must also be open. I spotted this down at the Stondon Park junction:

For anyone considering a visit to @Shannonsgc, note the Stansted Road entrance is closed so head round to Malham Road instead (enter via the carpark which is open):

ChrisR
28 Nov '20

Just seen a similar poster on thr railings outside Sainsbury’s!

Swagger
28 Nov '20

This has been one of the most enjoyable aspects of coming to London. You don’t see this in anywhere near as much regularity on the south coast. Everyone I know in Chichester and surrounding areas has a fake tree that they dig out of the loft every year. I don’t care how much mess they make I’ll never, ever have a fake tree again as long as I live. I just love how much nicer my one bedroom rabbit hutch smells this time of year.

se23blue
28 Nov '20

Will the council manage to remove this illegal fly posting and prosecute the perpetrators this year,it has been going on for at least the last 20 years maybe it’s time for a FOI request to Lewisham council ?
Would any Forest Hill councillors like to comment ?

ForestHull
29 Nov '20

Another place to buy Christmas trees is at St David Coffee House:

(And they are also still selling Square Mile coffee if that’s your thing)

HillLife
29 Nov '20

And I spotted one next to the Tesco petrol station lights on Honor Oak Road.

This is like an Easter egg hunt…

Joeschmo
29 Nov '20

I don’t get in their cabs, buy their trees and i ignore their signs.

se23blue
29 Nov '20

Just like Lewisham council !!

Beige
1 Dec '20

I found one Perry Rise Baptist Church (in Perry Village), and one on the corner of Perry Hill and Houston Road.

Kudos to whoever finds the one furthest from it’s source.

ForestHull
2 Dec '20

If you report the signs as fly posting on Love Clean Streets there is a chance they will get removed - some of the ones around the centre of Forest Hill have apparently been removed in that way already e.g. here, here and here.

starman
2 Dec '20

Given the number and frequency of these signs, hopefully someone in LBC will have a word.

Emak5
3 Dec '20

Thanks for suggesting this! I reported two signs for the trees on Dartmouth rd and they’ve been removed in less than 24hr. What a great service

clausy
3 Dec '20

They’re actually locking them to railings with bike locks to make them harder to remove. Good to see Clean Streets working so efficiently.

anonymous14
3 Dec '20

I do hope the bike locks are being angle ground and fines issued :cowboy_hat_face:.

ForestHull
3 Dec '20

They looks like pretty cheap cable bike locks, so a pair of bolt cutters should do it easily, as evidenced by a cleanly sliced-off lock I saw on Queenswood Road the other day :frowning:

Hopefully their Christmas trees are better quality than their signs!

ForestHull
6 Dec '20

Initially I thought these signs were like Pokémon popping up everywhere to be captured in the Love Lewisham app, but now I notice that it’s turned into whack-a-mole as some of the signs have come back!

The council should be clearing up these tacky signs and issuing fixed penalty notices at £75 a pop. That would pay for a few more Christmas lights on the high street.

oakr
6 Dec '20

We got ours from @Shannonsgc today - always nice to see the team in there and have a quick chat, as well as coming away with a great tree of course!