Today the second phase of the 2018 timetable consultation on Southern services has been launched. (@mods: I felt that this warrants a new thread for better readability but please feel free to combine with the old one if you prefer.)
Everyone relying on a daily commute by train, or even if only using it for a weekend day out, may want to set a bit of time aside to look at the detailed proposals and respond to the consultation:
A brief summary of what I’ve found at a first glance…
Firstly, the consultation report for the first phase shows that responses from people living on both the Forest Hill and the Catford Loop lines appear to have made a big impact. Forest Hill even made it into the Top 10 of station responses out of the whole Thameslink area stretching all the way from Brighton to Cambridge which I think is a great result.
In terms of the proposals, it looks like this has meant that at least some of them have been changed to our benefit:
- Six trains between 8 and 9am from Forest Hill to London Bridge as opposed to the previously planned reduction to four
- Direct trains to East Croydon stay albeit not during peak hours.
- Four trains per hour from Crofton Park to Blackfriars are still part of the plan.
Some sticky issues with the old plan remain unchanged and have been explained as not resolvable i.e. we will see:
- No more fast trains from New Cross Gate to East Croydon at all, and no Thameslink service.
- Only four fast trains every hour between Norwood Junction to London Bridge, fewer than today.
- No trains from Forest Hill to East Croydon during peak hours
On top of that, the journey checker tool reveals a few rather nasty surprises:
- No trains at all between Norwood Junction and East Croydon between 7 and 8.30am!! And only two every hour late afternoon.
- Journeys look like they will take longer on many routes, with some trains taking 12(!) minutes from New Cross Gate to London Bridge.
- The first train from Forest Hill to London Bridge (5.27) and the last train back (00.36) look like they’ll disappear, although it says that there will be a separate consultation on “late night trains”
- Trains from Catford/Crofton Park aren’t evenly spaced, but instead every 10/20 minutes.
I might have a bit more detailed look over next few weeks but any other finds in here, please!
Just for completion, here the thread for the previous consultation: