Archived on 6/5/2022

7.5 tonne weight restrictions

AndyS
28 Jul '16

Mr Google isn’t proving much help on this but perhaps knowledgeable SE23 lifers can assist.

I’m trying to find out if a 7.5 tonne weight restriction on a road applies only to goods vehicles and if coaches (eg, Clarkes of London) are exempt.

Thanks!

armadillo
28 Jul '16

I think it very much depends on if the limit for the specific road is in place for environmental or structural reasons,

You can contact the council about possible exemptions to the weight limits on a specific roads - contact details can be found at the end of: https://www.lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/parking/carparks/Pages/lorries-abnormal-loads.aspx

AndyS
28 Jul '16

Thank you Armadillo. I have email someone in Lewisham traffic (haven’t heard yet - it was only yesterday) but as it’s a traffic sign and therefore a Highway Code issue, the regulations must surely be consistent across the country, unless there are specific signs permitting/forbidding coaches, etc.

Jon_Robinson
28 Jul '16

a weight limit is a weight limit - regardless of vehicle type.
they are structural (or at least all the ones in Hackney are over bridges)

I’d guess that most coaches over 7.5 tonnes even when empty

… also depends on if the signage mentions goods vehicles or is just simply a weight limit.

AndyS
28 Jul '16

At this Highway Code website, the weight restriction sign is described as saying “No goods vehicles over maximum gross weight shown (in tonnes) except for loading and unloading”. Is a coach a goods vehicle???

Jon_Robinson
28 Jul '16

it has a goods vehicle on the sign - the Highway Code definition specifies goods vehicles, therefore coaches, which are not goods vehicles, are exempt from the weight restriction, so therefore are allowed.

AndyS
28 Jul '16

Thanks Jon - Exactly the answer I feared. Curse those Clarkes of London coaches!