Archived on 6/5/2022

A fair vote for mural designs

anon5422159
18 Nov '17

I’m quite keen on ensuring the mural vote is fair. Some things to ponder:

• do we restrict to verified members in order to ensure it’s local residents who are voting, and that we get one vote per person? (no sock puppets)
  • how do we set up the poll if one artist submits two colour options for the same design, but other artists submit just one option? (what if 30% vote for Lionel’s blue design, 30% for the Lionel’s burgundy, and 40% for another artist’s design? That’s 60% for Lionel, but he loses)
anon5422159
18 Nov '17

To answer my second question, I think we ought to do two rounds of voting. One round to choose the design, and a second to choose the colour scheme (if there are multiple options)

armadillo
18 Nov '17

Re. Verified members - what’s the % of be rified vs. non verified members. Worried about how many we would exclude in what is quite a public topic.

Re. The colours/designs question, since the colour is intrinsic in the design, I would say not to treat the 2 as separate, but offer people a 1st and 2nd choice (assuming we have enough proposals).

Once the voting is over, cut the list to the top 2 and then add in the 2nd choice preference of those who’s 1st choice was not in the top 2. Winner is the most votes after that process … or simply offer up a second vote for the final 2

anon5422159
18 Nov '17

We have about 300 trust-level-3 members and 1,800 members in total. So probably about 15%.

We may be able to do something like this, as we can offer multiple votes on a poll.

I think a second preference vote would be fairer, but would still disadvantage an artist for submitting two colour choices?

If we were to do two rounds, perhaps we vote on the colour choices first (for all artists, whittling down to one design per artist) and then we do a final poll to choose design?

armadillo
18 Nov '17

So at those numbers, I think it should be open to all - you may find that as news gets about it even drives more people to come to the site just to have a vote.

Regarding the method, I think to a certain extent we need to see how many options we are talking about. If its only 3 or 4, then a straight shoot out is probably best. Or add an extra option where multiple colour choices have been proposed of ‘any of this design’

Nadia
18 Nov '17

I agree on the two vote system: design first, colour option second.
Would Lionel be up for a more personalised version of his signature sign, adding a quirky, Forest Hill, element to it, something like @armadillo visualised? I quite liked that juxtaposition… might not be something he wants to do, but just a thought.
Or could just see what comes from the other submissions…

Joe
18 Nov '17

Great work in moving this forward Chris, really exciting and a great contribution to creating a sense of place in Forest Hill. Will be donating.

Pauline
18 Nov '17

@Lionel has helped us straight from the start on this with many things. Including giving Network Rail Contacts, discount on his work, and more.

Personally I think it would be very unfair not to have him do our mural, especially as I think he was an inspiration to the start of all of this :slight_smile:

Audrey_Finch
19 Nov '17

Agree. And he clearly had the talent and experience. going with an unknown could be risky.

applespider
19 Nov '17

Will the vote be purely on the design? Or will you give people a bit more info (e.g. cost/experience of artist etc) to help them make an informed decision?

anon5422159
19 Nov '17

Yes, I think we should include the cost and maybe a bio for each artist. Good idea.