Archived on 6/5/2022

A man who deserved a medal!

TimLund
16 May '17

So, this Sunday I set off for Cudham to take part in the first Penge CC Time Trial of the year. Get there, take anything off my jacket and anything on the bike which might slow me down, get my start, go round, pick everything up and set off back to SE London - on the way back chatting to some other cyclists about the person who won, the only one wearing a hi tech helmet. I suspect he would have won anyway.

Drop in on my allotments to do a bit of weeding and thinning before coming home for lunch, and my keys are gone. My best bet as to where I might have left them is the car park used as a base for the car park, so I post in the Penge CC FB group to ask if anyone has seen them. Nothing, but a suggestion I might call the pub next door, which I do, and a very helpful guy from the Blacksmiths’ Arms goes out to have look where I think they would be. Again, nothing.

So yesterday morning, in the rain, I head back for my own search. Half way there I stop to check the route, and what do you know, there’s an email with the subject line “Fwd: Keys dropped by Penge Cycle rider”. Somehow they fell out of a pocket and another cyclist, not from Penge CC saw it, tried to catch up with me but couldn’t, so he contacted the club, and one massive inconvenience saved.

As my wife said, that man deserves a medal. Well, I was reunited with my keys yesterday in Camberwell, and an appreciateive tweet is that that man would accept.

There is a certain basic decency in people.

Anotherjohn
16 May '17

You’d’ve done exactly the same thing.

But still, it’s always good to be reminded that there are still a few of us about!

TimLund
16 May '17

Actually, a lot of us would have done the same thing.

To be a bit analytical about it, it helps living in a society where you can expect people to say thank you if you do something like that. If I’d have been in the other guy’s position, and done the same thing, I would have got something of a kick out of doing the right thing anyway, but it would be increased and confirmed by a thank you