Archived on 6/5/2022

A “new vision” for the centre of Forest Hill

anon5422159
13 Mar '17

Intriguing…

‪http://www.discourse-architecture.com/‬

anon5422159
13 Mar '17

It seems Discourse Architecture is brand new. Yet Forest Hill town centre regeneration sounds like a major project.

Does anyone know the people behind Discourse Architecture?

Any links to anyone in public office? (have to ask, these days, sadly)

Michael
13 Mar '17

They are a group of architects based in Kirkdale (and Milan) who have taken this on as an unpaid project to help develop a strategy for Forest Hill town centre. I have met with them to review the findings from the 2014 design workshop and to help them focus their project.

The latest I have heard from them is:

Our plan is to complete the Forest Hill urban renewal strategy in March and launch after Easter.

Whether the plans are achievable is another matter, but I have been trying to develop a 10-20 year plan for radically improving the town centre, and this will definitely help to explore more of the options.

Brett
13 Mar '17

Looks lovely without all the cars. Looking forward to seeing how that is done :slight_smile:

starman
13 Mar '17

Architects often take up speculative work. Creates a name for the agency as well as a potential source of revenue down the road. Big architects love this. For instance Fosters + Partners have done redesigns for Elephant & Castle in the past, and work on the Thames Estuary Airport was all self-financed before a need identified.

Great idea… and I hope they get somewhere with it. Unfortunately this stuff need real political vision.

Timmo44
13 Mar '17

By the time this gets off the ground, so will cars be - because we’ll all be driving flying ones.

Michael
13 Mar '17

The problem is people said that 20 years ago and it still isn’t true!

anon5422159
13 Mar '17
starman
13 Mar '17

From @ChrisBeach’s tweet and referring to SE23.life.

It’s a goldmine of local movers & shakers

Gosh.

Londondrz
13 Mar '17

Dont forget Tim’s “Hipsters”!

FH rocks, who knew?

Timmo44
13 Mar '17

Yes I think the pedestrianisation of Forest Hill centre, bearing in mind it is part of the A205 South Circular Road will be unlikely to happen in the next 20, 30 or 50 years. Unless of course they invent a cheap safe way of tunnelling underneath the ‘Hill’ itself.

Londondrz
13 Mar '17

That has been the subject of many a post on similar threads elsewhere, I dont think it is likely.

anon64893700
30 Aug '17

Only just seen these images, thanks to Chris pointing me in the right direction.
Sad to see such a lovely idea seems to have no future. That station sure could do with some love lol