Accident on Woolstone Road / Cranston Road Junction

It looks like there has been a serious collision between cars at the Woolstone / Cranston Road junction with ambulances and fire brigade in attendance:

Let’s hope everyone is okay.

4 Likes

Awful :cry: I’ve complained numerous times to the council and Ellie Reeves about this and they’ve done sweet nothing about it. It’s so dangerous to cross as a pedestrian and because there are 4 directions of traffic it’s hard for the drivers to cross too. Al it takes is one of the speeding drivers :rage:

3 Likes

Not usual to see so many cases of beer at the site of a road accident!

Woolstone looks to have reopened to heavy traffic, but Houston Road is closed.

1 Like

agree it’s still a dangerous junction. Years ago after the continuing series of accidents, local pressure led the council to install a raised area over the whole junction to slow everything down but it’s not been enough.

3 Likes

Ha - it does nothing. :rage:

I’ve seen it cause a minor accident where a car decided not to pull out and then rolled back off the raised section and into the car behind… I don’t like crossing behind cars there, or crossing there at all really :frowning:

Ditto. And drivers get angry if you’re crossing as they are having to watch in all directions for cars, plus a pedestrian/s to look out for. Something needs doing @Lewisham_Councillors

3 Likes

I always thought a mini roundabout would be better in that spot.

2 Likes

Been coming for a while. Visibility from Cranston is terrible (hedges) so cars creep over the line, and/or think they have right of way and just carry on. Then add driving too fast from the mini-roundabout by Perry Vale, plus no pedestrian crossing assistance. Hope nobody is badly hurt, and that it wakes up @Lewisham_Councillors to review this urgently.

2 Likes

A mini-roundabout may also be a bit difficult for the bus to navigate - unless it’s one of those rubbish painted on roundabouts which everyone will drive straight over anyway :frowning:

1 Like

The ‘rubbish’ ones are not supposed to be driven around, they’re there to indicate that roundabout priority traffic rules apply. It’s a visual cue, not an obstacle, at least that’s what I always assumed the point of them was.

I wonder how we find out the outcome of this, so we can challenge Lewisham / etc. on what happened vs. all complaints we’ve made about it.

It’s possible to put a FOI in, but we need to ask a specific question about some records the council is likely to hold - otherwise it’s a waste of time.

1 Like

I live very nearby. The fire brigade had to cut the roof off the car.
I think there was one person trapped and it took about an hour to get them out.

I think there is an old post on this forum (or another local one) where someone had started a petition to the local councillor. They mention a child had been killed at that junction in the past. Horrific, but even worse a tragedy like that didn’t lead to any real changes being made to safety. And the roads seem to be getting busier.

4 Likes

We shouldn’t need petitions for this kind of thing. We’re not supposed to discuss politics on this forum, but the poor representation does point to the need for a forum to discuss.

2 Likes

There was a petition in 2016 after a series of accidents at that junction. Clearly it’s not seen as important/dangerous enough to do anything about.

1 Like

A child died at this junction many years ago and pedestrian refuges were installed to provide protection for pedestrians crossing the road and to slow down traffic. However, drivers parked their cars too close to the crossings and buses just could not get through. So the pedestrian refuges were removed!

1 Like

I think this is part of the problem - it’s unclear how the junction can be improved given the limited space available and given that the 75 route goes down Woolstone Road and so needs a path though.

Traffic lights might be one fix, but they don’t really fit the residential street-scape and may suffer the problem that if the cycle was too slow pedestrians would try and cross dangerously anyway. They could also cause queuing traffic in the residential area which isn’t nice either.

Lowering the hedge at the corner of Woolstone / Cranston would help visibility, but I’m not sure the council has powers to force that.

1 Like

Same issue with Sunderland road where it meets the south circular. The speed bumps are too shallow as the kerb is low and markings too faint on the junction to have any impact.