Archived on 6/5/2022

Advice on Floor Sanders for hire?

starman
26 Apr '17

The old oak deck needs some love and attention. So weather permitting I’m going to sand the face of the old dear.

Any recommendations on a local firm that hires belt sanders? They will need to deliver.

Post note… despite the alternative advice below I’m still looking for advice for a local place to hire a belt sander.

Dave
26 Apr '17

Have you considered jetwashing it? Might surprise you how much of a difference it would make and it’s a bit less destructive than sanding.

RachaelDunlop
26 Apr '17

I’ve added a question mark to the title so it’s clear you are asking rather than offering.

Londondrz
26 Apr '17

Try a deck cleaner and then, as suggested, a jet wash or good scrub.

starman
26 Apr '17

Nope. I need a sander. The deck hasn’t been looked after so has not only dirt and grease, but a layer of algae on part of it. I used my pressure washer and some of the top layer of the wood came off with it leaving raised and rough grain.

So only a sander will do. Probably best anyways to renew the deck (it is solid oak) and then coat it well so it will live long into the future. I’ve renewed wood floors at two homes so shouldn’t be too hard a job.

Thanks for the alternate advice though.

Londondrz
26 Apr '17

Problem.with pressure washing as you have discovered is it raises the grain. A cleaner and stiff bristled bush is bloody hard work but a good option, especially as it is Oak. Bank holiday coming up, go for it.

RachaelDunlop
26 Apr '17

There are cleaners you can spray on, wait for it to work, then rinse, scrub and oil. Used one last year on my ancient but venerable swing seat and it’s like new.

starman
26 Apr '17

Or I could sand the wood back a couple of millimeters, apply a protective wood finish and then a top coat of non-slip decking oil. It’ll stop this from happening in the future especially the blackening due to water penetration.

LAronberg
27 Apr '17

There’s a great company called Floor Sander Renal in Catford I used about 6 years ago for my wood floors. They deliver and show you how to use it. http://www.floorsanderrental.co.uk/. I got varnish from them as well and was much better than the products you get in B&Q etc - still looks shiny 6 years later.

FaeryCatmother
27 Apr '17

I was stuffed around by Floorsanderrental, but then again that was for them to do the work so they may be fine if you’re just hiring.