Archived on 6/5/2022

Adzy’s Big Breakfast: Breakfast Reviews in SE23 - Two Spoons

wineisallforme
28 Apr '17

Here you go guys. One of two reviews of cafes in the SE23 area, with a few more to come soon:

All in good fun. Not affiliated with any of these places, we just love breakfasts

anon22025233
28 Apr '17

Rocket with a fried breakfast!? Now I’ve seen everything.

wineisallforme
28 Apr '17

It’s a topsy turvy world we’re now living in

natalieh101
28 Apr '17

I think your review is pretty harsh - it’s not expensive for the quality, portion is decent and the presentation is good (as is the toast). I’d agree about the rocket because it’s random (and horrible)…

Adz
28 Apr '17

I wouldn’t say it was harsh - the sausage and bacon were absolutely top notch and were duly raved about. The rest of the plate paled in comparison and while I think that the meat products should be the flagship of any good breakfast plate I don’t think it should be at the detriment to the other ingredients and the poor beans, slightly undercooked eggs and bizarre addition of rocket led me to the score I gave it.

Value wise it is very good for the quality of sausage and bacon on offer but that little extra push could turn the plate into something special because with those sausages they have the makings of an astonishing breakfast.

Like I say at the end - stick to the classics and you won’t go far wrong.

fran
28 Apr '17

Try breakfast at Norris & Knight on Forest Hill Road, delicious!

wineisallforme
28 Apr '17

Top tip, we’ll keep it in mind!

wineisallforme
28 Apr '17

We’d love to have some more recommendations. Any places in the Se23 area we will visit and review. Any suggestions?

starman
28 Apr '17

Canvas and Cream
Capitol
BB and Friends

Foresthillnick
29 Apr '17

http://maggiesrestaurant.co.uk - Not quite in SE23 but highly rated…

wineisallforme
2 May '17

Big fan of BB & Friends. The only thing letting them down is their sausages.

Canvas and Cream, now there’s one I never think to go to. @Adz, fancy doing this one at some point for ABB?

Capitol, I’m not sure about. A Wetherspoons breakfast pretty much stays the same no matter where you go. Nice pub, default breakfast.

Brett
2 May '17

Am not quite sure why. It is a good, but not spectacular fry up, Used to go there sometimes when I lived locally. Fine though it is, would not make a special trip for it.

Closer to home, the Honor Oak Café (48 Honor Oak Park) should surely be on the review list.

Stephen
2 May '17

Big Breakfast Cafe on Perry Vale? Looks a no-nonsense greasy spoon but appears to have a 5* hygiene inspection rating which looks to be a bonus as I’m always a bit wary of random cafes though not as wary as I am of places with repeatedly low hygiene scores.

starman
2 May '17

It may be part of a national chain, but if your objective is to review breakfasts in SE23 and find the best and worst, then I think you can’t do the whole job without reviewing this major local destination for a fry up. Plus you can get a pint!

anon86223367
2 May '17

Inces on Wastdale Road is the best breakfast in town.

wineisallforme
2 May '17

We’ll be visiting the Honor Oak Cafe sometime soon I think

wineisallforme
2 May '17

Understand your concern about hygiene ratings, but if we have to we’ll go where we’re needed to sample a breakfast. We’ll take the hit so you don’t have to.

wineisallforme
2 May '17

It’s starting in SE23, and we want to get as many done in our local area as possible. But we’ll be branching out as well.

This is already a big undertaking that’s not exactly going to do our arteries any favours, so to include every Wetherspoons we come across may mean our final video is a memorial one

wineisallforme
2 May '17

Now here’s a cafe that’s right up our street.

Not literally unfortunately, but it’s only a 13 minute walk away. Absolutely ideal. It’s on the list

Foresthillnick
2 May '17

Cafe At No 1 - near the Co-Op on the South Circ used to be a firm favourite a few years back. A traditional no nonsense fry up with a decent enough cup of coffee.

anon86223367
2 May '17

Unfortunately it’s about a 10-15 minute from both my home and workplace. Fortunately it’s bang in the middle of both so that’s breakfast sorted at least once a week. You won’t go wrong with a sausage sandwich.

Adz
3 May '17

There’s a couple of places I’m curious about that haven’t been mentioned:

Johnnies 2 Cafe on the South Circular - looks like a classic spit and sawdust greasy spoon, strange name intrigues me
Village Cafe in Ladywell - have high expectations this one will be good

We visited Star Cafe in Crofton Park when it was in transition to it’s new name Crofton Park Cafe - the breakfast was good but it took far too long to cook - would like a revisit under the new name.

Unfortunately, my favourite cafe - Aroma is out of action for the foreseeable - which is a huge shame as for my money that was the best fry in the SE23 and surrounding areas. We did do a video of it but the audio was unusable.

GillB
3 May '17

Breakfast in the Honor Oak Cafe takes some beating!

wineisallforme
4 May '17

I went there not too long ago. Odd atmosphere, tasty fry up

Foresthillnick
4 May '17

Yeah - That’s the place!

wineisallforme
5 May '17

My eggs were fine, but it looked like someone had blown their nose all over Adzys. Undercooked and swimming in mucus

Londondrz
5 May '17

The Eggs Royale at The Archie Parker on a Saturday take some beating. Also, a bit off patch, The Jasmine Cafe in Kirkdale is great. Lovely owners. Also, as mentioned, The Fig and Pistachio is great.

Adz
5 May '17

What @wineisallforme said, the quality of the eggs themselves was not in question - they were quite undercooked which was the issue - as I say in the video, the yolk was nice and runny which in some way made up for that. A little bit of attention to detail would have sorted this in 30 seconds.

Adz
5 May '17

Jasmine Cafe looks well within our remit - good shout

https://www.zomato.com/id/london/cafe-jasmine-sydenham/menu#tabtop

likestea
6 May '17

161 brunch worth a mention too me thinks

Chris
6 May '17

Star Cafe or Crofton Park Cafe as it is now is great. Friendly staff, excellent portion sizes and a great range of milkshakes.

wineisallforme
7 May '17

Had a trip to Johnnies 2 Cafe today. Highly recommended. Coming up in a new episode soon.

starman
7 May '17

Oh yum. I’ll be making my own version of that in a moment.

Sidebar conversation. Why do so many greasy spoons like Johnnies have these ridiculous fixed place seating. Small kids can’t get close to the food. Big kids (waves) squeeze in. If I see a caff with this style of seating I walk on by.

jmoney
7 May '17

Second the call for a review of Big Breakfast on Perry Vale. 5/5 hygiene rating not to be sniffed at, and we had a top notch lasagna there today.

Pauline
8 May '17

BB & friends (formally Big Breakfast) on Dartmouth Road is very popular.

FowlMouths
8 May '17

I LOVE BB & Friends. So consistent.

wineisallforme
8 May '17

Lots of people requesting BB & Friends as a potential venue. Thoughts @Adz?

ThorNogson
8 May '17

Plus one for Big Breakfast inPerry Vale while Westbourne Cafe in Waldron Park Road is also an excellent cafe.

anon5422159
8 May '17

A post was split to a new topic: Adzy’s Big Breakfast: Breakfast Reviews in SE23: Westbourne Cafe

Adz
8 May '17

I’m game for BB & Friends

LukeSlatford
8 May '17

No no and no!!

Its all about the Gym Cafe / Kava Kitchen - good portion sizes and decent ingredients (not those nasty sausages made up of entrails and god knows what!) .

Pauline
8 May '17

Agree, Kava Kitchen (previously Gym Cafe) on Dartmouth Road opposite the pools is fab & the owner Konrad is a great bloke.

Defo worth a visit, plus you get 10% discount if you have a “Friends of Forest Hill Library” card :slight_smile:

wineisallforme
8 May '17

Fully in on Kava Kitchen. Went there when it was the gym. Top fry job, and it’s on the list to try out. Watch this space guys!

Pauline
8 May '17

Same owner, just name change. So still top notch fry up :slight_smile:

wineisallforme
8 May '17

absolute music to my ears. I loved it in there last time. The TV was playing MMA best of videos which was really confusing. Not sure if this improved the Breakfast experience

Pauline
8 May '17

Just say if you don’t like the telly experience, sure the fab customer service will take note :slight_smile:

starman
8 May '17

Its because he gets free shots with his full english at 10am on a Sunday.

Pauline
8 May '17

Hahaha @LukeSlatford you’ve been rumbled :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nice one if you can get it though :+1:

Still stick with my comment & surely that’s customer service at its best :heart_eyes:

LukeSlatford
8 May '17

I can’t believe he tucked me up like that!! @starman promised me it would be ‘our little secret’ :sob::sob:

starman
8 May '17

Our? I ain’t never got no shot. :thinking:

wineisallforme
9 May '17

Why did The Gym have a name change? It was the perfect cover if anyone asked where I was going

anon5422159
10 May '17

With permission from @Adz via PM, his post was split to a new topic: Canvas and Cream