Aggressive begging in South Road/Church Rise, Forest Hill

That’s good, great that you have done that and I was thinking that the more times we report these incidents officially, getting a new report number etc the more likely that it gets an assessment / response that there seems strong support for.

3 Likes

I agree with you David.

It would be good to know more about this group - who is on it, how they are elected/appointed, what the agendas of the meetings are and who sets them. Any info would be appreciated - either on this thread or on a new one.

The safer neighbourhood ward panel consists of local police team, councillors, council officers, representatives of a number of neighbourhood watch group, residents associations, or streets.

The agenda is generally; update on local crime issues in the last 3 months, review of crime stats, update on police team changes (if any), update on ward priorities, setting ward priorities for the next three months. Meetings are currently via Zoom / Teams.

Anybody who wishes to join their local ward panel can contact the local police team. In the case of Forest Hill ward, anybody who is interested is welcome to speak to me directly - by direct message on twitter @mjxa or (for those with permission) via PM on this forum.

3 Likes

I think if i get approached I’m going to call 999 as I think that’s the only way to get police to do anything. Although even then I’m not confident they’d come and I would be concerned he’d snatch the phone!

6 Likes

I think calling 999 is a good idea, but I think make sure you are safe first. So get some distance, maybe go into a shop, or call once he has left you alone. This person sounds a bit unhinged, so if unsure I’d say wait and call when it feels safer for you, or maybe ask a shop or someone else to call for you.

2 Likes

Thanks :blush:. Sounds sensible. Although thb now i have read about Violent Peckham Rye man, our beggar sounds positively tame. But in both cases it’s a shame that action can’t be taken both to protect the public and the individuals.

3 Likes

I feel the same way…when he approached me I just wanted to get away as fast as possible to safety-not stand on a dark street in his vicinity calling the cops.

1 Like

Well obviously I’d prefer to take his photo and call the police there and then and stand over him til they arrived but I suspect that wouldn’t be the wisest course of action!!

2 Likes

With all the attention on social media today about women’s safety at night because of the Sarah Everard case, I can’t help feeling extra annoyed that we couldn’t get the police to pay any attention to the Forest Hill aggressive beggar who preys on lone women in particular.

12 Likes

Yep, and it does not exactly help things when you hear that a policeman has been arrested on suspicion of the murder of the poor soul. There are few things worse than a bent copper.

1 Like

A major rumpus today. The home secretary and the chief constable say that women must feel safe on the streets. Fine words indeed. Meanwhile its business as usual for the aggressive beggar who as we know tends to go after women on their own and feels he is untouchable.

4 Likes

Don’t worry, Baroness Jones intends to table a motion to make men obey a curfew starting at 6pm. That will stop him.

2 Likes

It will also stop the male bus and train drivers and cab drivers. How will anyone get home?

1 Like

Who knows?

We do have some female bus, train and cab drivers so sure we’d survive. :wink:

More to the point, Baroness Jones is more about starting a conversation about behaviours. That many many women change their behaviour every time they come home in the dark or late at night and how would men feel if they were being asked to do that?

Personally, I know I do - as do the vast majority of my female friends; it’s one reason this horrible murder has really resonated - and why this beggar makes us so nervous. If I’m walking home at night, I’ve got my keys out and wedged through my knuckles. I’ve taken shoes to change into for the walk from the bus stop in case I need to run. I’ve walked the long way around to avoid a dark or quiet spot. I’ve nipped into shops to escape someone who I felt was too close - some of whom were probably perfect innocent but unaware of how they were making me feel.

Honestly guys, ask your female friends and you might be surprised how common it is for us to think like this - then imagine altering your behaviour every time you came home at night - along residential streets.

I was mugged once upon a time in my driveway. To be honest, part of me was just relieved that he’d taken my bag and not anything worse. The police’s suggestion was that I try not to walk home in the dark - I’m sure my boss would have loved to know that I needed to finish at 3pm in the winter. That’s no more extreme than the ‘suggested’ curfew.

14 Likes

The sad thing is the perception of male on female crime is true only in domestic situations. Far more crime is actually commited against males.

This however shouldn’t lessen the impact of this terrible crime.

Men and women can be terrible people at times.

3 Likes

You speak the truth. I have 3 daughters all in their 30’s now. They have had to put up with all sorts of s**t since they were teenagers walking home from school. It’s been this way for a long time.

3 Likes

Then a curfew should help males stay safe too. < removes tongue from cheek >

4 Likes

My thoughts exactly. I’ve actually tweeted about it today. Women’s (and actually men’s and children’s) safety not important when it comes to the AB and the Peckham Rye man.

Feeling pretty angry. I know from my criminology studies that young men are statistically more likely to be attacked but for me as a short woman with not very strong arms and not so fast a runner as I used to be, a man will always have the advantage. So deep down, you are always on your guard. I think I don’t always realise how in my guard I am until I’m walking with someone else! That’s when I realise the rest of the time I’m primed for fight or flight!

3 Likes