Archived on 6/5/2022

Air conditioned spaces

Else_Simpson
25 Jul '19

Hello!

Does anyone have suggestions of good air conditioned pubs or cafes in SE23 (with wifi if possible but not a deal breaker) to go and sit in this afternoon? It is so hot!

Billie
25 Jul '19

I’m spinning out my trips to Sainsbury’s to take advantage of its cool.

georgiakateb
25 Jul '19

The Great Exhibition in East Dulwich is very nicely air conned. Been assured it was lovey and cold last night.

weepy
25 Jul '19

Costa is cold

Pea
25 Jul '19

Chandos was cool yesterday.

ForestHull
25 Jul '19

The Hill seems to be getting recommended over on the Twitter thread:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SE23life/status/1154413891935453184

Pauline
25 Jul '19

If you keep all curtains and blinds closed and just open all windows about an inch or two open home should be cold and cool, has worked for me, but boy it was hot when I left home today.

oakr
25 Jul '19

We did this though had most Windows shut. Wouldn’t say it was cool, but was definitely a lot cooler than outside!

Going to try and see if anyone does those external blinds they have in Spain, where you can lower them from inside the house but they pull down outside. Good security but also really keeps the house cool as the sun does not hit the windows at all, and good for leaving windows open at night without worrying anyone can get in.

Pauline
25 Jul '19

You have to open all windows to let the breeze flow in all directions, does work but you have to be at home really to keep all windows open.

Beige
25 Jul '19

I’m with @oakr, if the air outside is hotter than inside then keep windows shut to keep it out. If you want a breeze you could use a fan.

I hung a couple of survival blankets outside the big south facing windows too.

But tbh, none of this compares to AC.

ForestHull
26 Jul '19

Yes it’s true. I got home at about 18:00 and opened the windows and it got hotter going from about 28 up to 30°C :hot_face:

Beige
26 Jul '19

What’s that graph from? A nest, or similar?

ForestHull
26 Jul '19

Yes, it’s a screenshot from the Hive thermometer :slight_smile:

Estelle_Lauren
10 Aug '20

Any more air conned spots locally? If they’re doing eat out to help out, all the better!

clausy
10 Aug '20

Now that’s a good idea to revive the thread - get some recommendations in. As an aside, I noticed that if you walk in Sydenham Wood, then there’s a load of cool air blowing out of the old railway tunnel. Free a/c but finding a restaurant/pub with a/c/ is a better idea :slight_smile: