Archived on 6/5/2022

Air Pollution checker at addresses

applespider
18 Mar '21

I read a report in The Guardian that suggested 25% of UK households live in an area affected by pollution that is higher than WHO recommendations. Admittedly this is based off computer modelling by Imperial College but I thought people might be interested to see - as we’ve had a few threads recently about local pollution levels.

Address Checker

I found mine interesting as I live close to the South Circular on Wood Vale. The distance from it (200m or so) has obviously been taken into account as those numbers closer to the road have a 4 rather than a 3 number. Still a tad depressing as with the trees and greenery around, I’d never considered it as particularly bad.

oakr
18 Mar '21

We are a 3 also, actually thought we might be a 4 so I am almost pleased…

ForestHull
18 Mar '21

Interesting ‘manifesto’ on that site:

applespider
18 Mar '21

Yes, I saw that after I’d posted as I hadn’t clicked on the Demand Action bit… so I didn’t but thought the information itself was interesting.

ForestHull
18 Mar '21

Yes - it’s all interesting :slight_smile: I’m also a 3, and I thought the ‘Demand Action’ link would be to contact the council, MPs, www.mumsforlungs.org or something - not estate agents!!

I guess it’s an interesting angle, trying to make pollution more visible to people - a bit like energy efficiency ratings in home buyers packs. But at the same time I though most would already be aware that living in a metropolis or by a busy road has downsides such as pollution and noise.

I’m not exactly sure that demanding action of Rightmove or Zoopla would be effective in actually tackling pollution either, though raising awareness is always a good thing.

divya_m
18 Mar '21

We are also near the S.Circular so I got an Awair air pollution monitor. What I found interesting was that when I leave windows open the air pollution monitor on most days shows very good air quality.

The highest spikes for VOCs and PM2.5 is when I am cooking and a few hours after that and also when my neighbours has building work going on. It has made me aware that I need to ventilate in the flat in the mornings (CO2 build up at night) and also when I am cooking.

JohnH1
19 Mar '21

99,000 deaths per year just from breathing; kinda puts COVID into perspective.