Aircraft Noise over SE23 (2020)

One of the most read threads of 2019 discussed expansion of Heathrow (3rd runway due late 2020’s, flight path redesign due 2025), and expansion of London City airport (their Masterplan proposed to treble current flight numbers low over SE23, flight path redesign also due 2025). Here’s the link to the 2019 thread.

But now with a New Year = a new 2020 thread!

2019 was incredibly busy, with both airports busy planning expansion and issuing numerous, and simultaneous public consultations. Meanwhile many of those overflown by increasingly low and concentrated flightpaths complain about persistent and unreasonable noise, and increasingly about climate concerns.Many London local authorities including Lewisham and many MPs, including our own Ellie Reeves were persuaded to take a clear public position to defend the overflown against the local environmental impacts of further expansion.

Next up in 2019 will be London City publishing its Masterplan ‘consultation’ findings and a new Masterplan. But rather than go into all the detail (which some of you may have seen me do at the Forest Hill Soc AGM) here is a scene setter which looks at aviation expansion from a climate emergency stance. I thought it well worth a read.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2020/01/07/analysis/co2-jet-fuel-soaring-4-times-faster-what-can-save-day

3 Likes

Extinction Rebellion Newham is hosting a peaceful event at one of the main Canadian pension fund backers of London City Airport on 11 Feb. Leading XR spokesman Rupert Read is coming.
Campaign group HACAN East are supporting- we have recently written to key executives in investor organisations pointing out the strong opposition across London to expansion of this airport.
And at the Lewisham Climate Emergency forum this week, Cabinet member Sophie McGeevor confirmed that Lewisham would continue to oppose expansion.

ICCAN (independent aircraft noise body) is interested to hear opinion on how airports consult with their community - short questionnaire here.

https://clicks.redcircledigital.co.uk/view_online/view_online.php?token2=QGIzQpEC6AL5g5dMrOjQiZJo9J7DqdoVlR1QV7a_-VBLjkVp_i5VaZP3bwcrAMydX6liB72yfQExgwObGstauw