Archived on 6/5/2022

Airport transfers

RachaelDunlop
12 Jun '16

In today’s era, thousands of people travel to their dream destination every day. And one of the most preferred means of transport is undoubtedly the airways. It is fast, reliable, and not to mention, a safe mode of transport that helps you reach your desired place promptly. But what to do after arriving at your desired country? Oftentimes, a majority of the people finds it tricky to get a right yet a budget-friendly transport service to reach their mansion or their relative’s palace in an unknown country.

However, no need to worry now as there is a host of Airport transfers service London offered to all the guests coming to this dream country. And you, believe it or not, you just need to book the Gatwick airport taxi services and that’s it! The car will drop you at your desired spot against the clock. The major benefit of opting for these taxi transfer services is that you don’t need to sit at the airport and wait until your relatives and known faces come to pick you. Apart from this, booking a taxi after standing in the long queue is again a tiresome job. Furthermore, after traveling a long way you would rather like to giveyourself some rest than waiting for your turn to come in the line, isn’t it?

What’s more? Of course, as you’re new to the place, you would not want to take any sort of risk associated with an unknown taxi driver, would you? London, commonly considered as the center for the tourists offer multiple airport transfer services to make the journey of the travelers secure and stress-free.

thirstforwine
12 Jun '16

I’ve always used Forest Hill Cars to be honest. You pay 50% premium for the fixed fee to the airport to get the guaranteed bigger car, but never had an issue

I used to use them a LOT when I travelled for work and often had to catch a 7:30 am flight from Stansted.

I can’t remember what the standard charge is, but I’m quite sure it will be less than Addison Lee (always found them expensive)

RachaelDunlop
12 Jun '16

I have a problem with FH cars as I have to watch their drivers pee against the fence in the Perry Vale carpark on a regular basis.

jonfrewin
12 Jun '16

Eugh.

Dave
12 Jun '16

Yeah - I was parking there on Thursday morning and there was a FH Cars car in the corner with a trickle coming from underneath it. While there’s a dispensation for drivers of London public hire cabs to do this (presumably on the basis that they don’t have an office, generally), I am fairly sure there’s nothing for minicab drivers. I know people have complained in the past to the firm about the behaviour of their drivers in that car park, though I don’t believe it’s made any significant difference.

A shame.

On a more positive note, I’ve used Linkway Cars in HOP for airports and as with FH Cars, you can book a larger car (not always as shiny as an Addison Lee) and they’ve never let me down.

anon64893700
12 Jun '16

Not to mention their annoying double parking and parking on corners waiting for a job. Grrr.

Hope you find a solution soon @RachaelDunlop

Gary_Brown
12 Jun '16

We’ve been using British Airport Transfers for a number of years and are happy with the service they provide: http://www.british-airport-transfers.co.uk/

Brett
12 Jun '16

I used to do early morning airport runs on a regular basis. Handy, the original minicab firm, have never let me down. They are now known also as Data Cars and have a pretty good app too.

RachaelDunlop
13 Jun '16

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Gives me some options.

Moto_Hodder
13 Jun '16

I once had a very bad experience with Forest Hill Cars. I booked in advance for two adults and a toddler and some luggage. I was told it would be £40. The driver arrived at 4am in the middle of winter and decided to argue with me about whether it was an ‘estate job’ or not. He had a great big people carrier, so it wasn’t as if he couldn’t take us (and we could easily have fit the luggage and people in a saloon car), but he insisted on a £20 (50%) extra to take us to Heathrow which the office backed him up for at the time. At 4am in the middle of winter with a toddler. I later complained to the office and got nowhere. Suffice to say, I haven’t used them since despite them being five minutes walk from home.

Last time we went to Gatwick, we used the parking facilities there which was roughly £70 for a week. When travelling for work, I usually get the train as it’s normally a change at East Croydon and then you’re pretty much there.

jrothlis
13 Jun '16

I’ve used Uber the last few times I’ve needed to go to the airport – they have a fixed price (£40 to Heathrow from memory). Not sure about getting one of the bigger ones at a fixed price though.

thirstforwine
13 Jun '16

I believe that Uber have recently removed any fixed rates for airports … and I’m not sure how you can ensure you get a car that is big enough

anon5422159
13 Jun '16

There are different car options with Uber that you choose via the app.

UberXL seats six.

More details here: https://www.uber.com/cities/london/

jrothlis
13 Jun '16

Ah that’s a real shame.

starman
16 Jun '16

I too use British Airport Transfers. In fact I’m in one now returning home from LHR.

Like AddLee you can chose vehicle type to suit. Drivers ar very polite and helpful. But a fraction of the price and compatible with lical car firms. They have an app too.

Londondrz
15 Jul '16

Just gone to pick up a parcel and the driver of a white FH Car was stood watering the plants in the Post Office car park. Not hidden in a corner, oh no. Slap bang in the middle.

djrightmove
15 Jul '16

try minicabit.com

anon5422159
15 Jul '16

Where’s Sgt Gatfield when you need him:

starman
12 Apr '17

Sock puppet alert!

RachaelDunlop
12 Apr '17

Sorted. Thanks for the flags.

AndyS
12 Apr '17

If you have an early-morning departure, we’ve often found a good deal for staying overnight the previous night at (I think) the Gatwick Holiday Inn and getting a parking deal thrown in. Works out very well and avoids the stress of worrying about the M23 first thing in the morning.

Alternatively, Forest Hill platform 2 to East Croydon, then change platforms for the service to Gatport Airwick. Easier with less luggage and fewer kids, admittedly, but it’s another option!

starman
12 Apr '17

@Bolgerp is a fan of this route. But I’ve heard this connection won’t be possible with the proposed Southern route/timetable changes?

AndyS
12 Apr '17

:flushed: Oh wow. Didn’t know!

Bolgerp
13 Apr '17

Agree… if you’re travelling outside of rush hour with minimal luggage, this is really easy… and much faster than getting a taxi/driving…

Hollow
13 Apr '17

You would have to change at Norwood Junction instead which has no step free access. But I think also in the consultation some Thameslink trains would stop at Norwood Junction so it’s still 1 change. Or 2 changes if you want to go to East Croydon.

rbmartin
16 Apr '17

Word is that Southern won’t go ahead with that proposal anyway.

Alisa
17 Apr '17

Thanks to the comments, I’ve just returned from a weekend away and used British Airport Transfers to Gatwick - very pleased. Thanks!

starman
19 Dec '17

For some reason the taxi fare from London City Airport is almost twice the price as the taxi fare to London City Airport. That is certainly the case with AddLee and British Airport Transfers my preferred choices for LHR and LGW.

Anyone have some advice on cheaper pick ups at LCY? Has anyone tried getting an Uber from there?

@RachaelDunlop… can I change the title to just Airport Transfers?

Garfield
19 Dec '17

I used to do this trip on a regular basis, coming back from City airport to Honor Oak in an uber at approx 7.30pm would cost me between £20-25

RachaelDunlop
19 Dec '17

Feel free to change the title @starman

Coming home from London City airport is the one time I’ll use public transport. So quick. But I suppose it depends on the amount of luggage you have and the time of day.

starman
19 Dec '17

Thanks. That’s half of what I’m getting quoted for a timed pick-up. Do you have to wait long?

Bolgerp
19 Dec '17

Because of when you’re arriving and the fact it’s holiday time, I suspect there will be surge pricing too!

starman
19 Dec '17

It’s always been almost twice as much regardless of the time of year or time of arrival.

Bolgerp
19 Dec '17

Weird…

RachaelDunlop
19 Dec '17

Maybe because they are guaranteed to pick up a fare after dropping you off at City, but not the other way round?

starman
19 Dec '17

I think there are much higher parking fees which are added onto the fare. Anyways, I’ll try my hand at an Uber on the day.

Ace
18 Feb '18

I have a problem with Forest Hill Cars as drivers talk hands free on their mobiles most of the time whilst driving. Had a very bad experience recently with a pick up from the airport.

Josh_Brooks
26 Apr '19

Station Cars based in Crystal Palace every time - friendly and reliable. I go to Gatwick, Heathrow and Coty with them regularly and have never had a problem.

I’m very sorry to say that neither friendly nor reliable are words I’d use to describe FH Cars. I wish it were not so because they’re much closer to where I live.

Josh_Brooks
26 Apr '19

that’s City, not Coty…!

starman
21 May '19

I used a new service (to me) for my most recent pick up at Gatwick. Belfry Cars is a local company to Gatwick airport. They charged me £38.60 for a Gatwick to Forest Hill run last week and that seems to be pretty standard for that route with them. That’s about £25-30 cheaper than other quotes I had received. The main difference is it didn’t include a meet and greet in arrivals… I had to go to the pick up zone which, with luggage may not be to everyone’s wishes.

Great website for booking but you must pre-register.