Aldi to take on former Toys 'R Us store in Bell Green [Opening in 2019]

I misunderstood… you want to get rid of Sainsbry’s as well and build on the entire site? Blimey…that would be some development, and some congestion too

Terminating a lease depends on the terms of the lease. Also if the lease is within the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954, it may be renewed at the end of the lease.

Thanks for that. I think it’s irrelevant, though, as it’s never going to happen (fortunately in my view)

A drive-through takeaway’s generated litter and the air we breathe are entirely unrelated issues. So it is odd that you wrote this.

An Aldi will not bring swarms of new traffic to the area as there is already another one less than 2 miles away in Catford not to mention two Lidl stores within a few hundred metres of the proposed new one. Instead it will mean everyone who does live round Sydenham and Bell Green won’t have to drive two additional polluting miles across Catford to get to an Aldi if they want to as there will be one nearby. A nearby one that is also close to several other retail park type shops that they may or may not shop at in the same visit (unlike Catford Aldi.) Or does the rest of Lewisham not matter as far as pollution goes?

1 Like

I’d rather it was Lidl way better than Aldi IMHO

I will either walk there or catch the bus.

Planners announced their decision today:

It looks like the locals on se26 dot life are less than happy about the possibility of Aldi taking over the store due to its likely negative effect on local traffic. I feel slightly bad because I am overwhelmingly excited about it! Head to Aldi, sneaky double cheeseburger at MCDonalds, pick up some new sneaks at Sports Direct then pet some bunnies at Pets at Home all before jumping in my pollution mobile and driving back to se23.

8 Likes

Given this application has now been granted and there is more A1 grocery retailing in Bell Green, it would be incredible for the planning inspector to allow more A1 grocery retailing next door. Certainly the cumulative impact on high streets would be even more detrimental and goes against national planning guidance. However, it would be wrong to assume that the correct decision will be made or that the inspector takes account of changing local realities when considering this application in isolation.

There are so many better uses for this site than a third supermarket within spitting distance.

Does anyone have any further information as to the timeline, here? What’s “next steps”?

I have no objection to Aldi adding to the supermarket competition, which currently consists of the Sainsbury’s megastore and the nearest competition consisting of 2 Lidl stores on Southend End and Sydenham Road.
I turned 50 this year and I saw the former Gas Works site at Bell Green turned from derelict industrial site to the current, and ongoing, commercial site together with new housing on the same site and recently linking through to Lower Sydenham station.
Guess what? When you build new homes - people need more food supplies!
Therefore, when some folk post that the Toys R Us site should be given over to more housing stock , then my response is clear - how do manage to supply them with a reasonable choice of food supplies?
Bring on Aldi and any other food supply competition to keep prices reasonable.

2 Likes

Update from Aldi on Twitter: the Sydenham /bell green store will be opening in October 2019.

3 Likes

Brilliant. Can’t wait.

1 Like

The sign is up.

3 Likes

I think it’s great that Aldi is opening up - and still in the ‘keeping it friendly’ mode, I still agree that Sainsbury’s prices need the competition! I’ve just popped into Pets at Home next door, asking when the Aldi will be opening, as it all looks so close to opening day. The assistant said it was planned for a September opening but rumours were that it won’t be until November now as they’re having trouble recruiting! Rumours or true? I don’t know. However, if anyone needs a local job in retail - Aldi appear to be in need. :smiley:

1 Like

We’re discussing this over on SE26.life and the last report suggested an October 3rd opening date.

1 Like