Archived on 6/5/2022

Allotments available?

StDavid
22 Aug '17

Hello

I am on an allotment list. Currently number 66, I am desperate to have one & have been no 66 for about 5 years! I wonder if anyone on here knows of any allotments going? Or if anyone is wanting to get rid of theirs? Do let me know & my green fingers can’t wait another 5 years!

Best

Sian

Foresthillnick
22 Aug '17

It is incredibly hard to get a plot in London but there are ways and means to better your chances. However you can’t just take over someone else’s plot - if someone wants to let go of theirs then it goes to the next on the list.
You might, if you are lucky, find someone to share theirs but even then many sites will frown on this as it bypasses the list but it is essentially how I got mine.
Lewisham requires you to apply for specific sites (three max I think) and frankly it is almost pointless for most of them - My wife applied for one near us and the list was years long. One Tree Hill is pointless for example but you may find a site with a shorter list - you need to do some research on what plots have long lists.
Bromley plots however are all self managed and seem not to worry too much about where you live and Bromley starts at the back of Bell Green and you can apply to all of them if you want!. If you are willing to travel a bit there are several plots that are pretty local - a mate just walked on to one a few years back. Check here but forget about Kent House Leisure Gardens - massively over subbed.
Then there are a few privately managed sites like Barriedale Allotments (my site and I am on the committe) - we do have a waiting list a few years long and we never even advertise it. There may be others in the area.

StDavid
22 Aug '17

Yes I applied via lewisham for 3 and 66 is my best position I’m no 123 & 186 for the others!! :sweat_smile: I will have a look into your suggestions thanks x

Jon_Robinson
22 Aug '17

isn’t there some legislation that says that if enough people request an allotment then the local council has an obligation to provide the necessary land? probably not going to happen in London, but might be worth looking into.

Foresthillnick
22 Aug '17

Completely toothless unfortunately. This probably explains it better than I can but basically there is no time limit in which the council or parish has to act and the wording of the act is pretty woolly.

oakr
22 Aug '17

I just applied last week via Lewisham - how did you find out which position you were on for the ones you applied for? I only found a link to positions for 2015 plots.

I’ve also joined the waiting list for a few in Bromley - not Kent House Leisure Gardens - was going to but maybe not based on ForestHillNick’s post.

kat.standlake.point
22 Aug '17

Hello everyone in the thread.

I have an allotment on Kent House lane, the one opposit the coach garage. It is not far from Forest hill, 356 bus goes straight there. I will find out how to register with them, to put the name on the list. We got it quite easy but it was long time ago, we went there on Sunday, filled up the forms and got it within one month. Therre are always allotment clearance every year cause people get one and find it hard to maintain (it is hard work). The management has to remove those people to let those on the list have opportunity to get a patch. Alternatively, come on Sunday between 10am and 1pm, one of the committee member should be there, ask them how to put your name on the list.

Foresthillnick
22 Aug '17

You can contact them here

kat.standlake.point
22 Aug '17

I dont need an allotment, i have one. But you are not from ours cause i dont remember you (if it is your photo on profile). My guess, you are from the opposite site, there is another allotment site across the road from ours, but i dont know anything about that one though.

kat.standlake.point
22 Aug '17

From my experience, the best way to visit an allotment site, speak to the committee members and go from there. Applying through councils channels is a waste of time.

StDavid
22 Aug '17

I just emailed them and they sent me my position

StDavid
22 Aug '17

Oh this is great!

StDavid
22 Aug '17

Thank you

StDavid
22 Aug '17

Yes I think it’s best for me to turn up I’m working Sunday so can’t come but perhaps the following Sunday?

kat.standlake.point
22 Aug '17

Pls come yourself, tell them that the plot holder from 52a recommended the allotment site. I must admit, it is a good one, we have water, shop where u can get seeds and rent is very reasonable. It is the one by Integra and couch company, NOT the opposite to them site, at the end of the dead end road pass the football ground. The gates are usually open on Sundsays to walk in. You can pay for tractor service and they will plough the soil, saves digging by hand, can rent grass trimmer for £2 to trim the grass, it is all optional.

StDavid
22 Aug '17

This is great and thank you for saying I can use you as a recommendation! I’ll come one Sunday as soon as xxx

Foresthillnick
22 Aug '17

Sorry replied to the wrong post but as I say above I am on the committee at an entirely different site.
My wife though is on the list for the Kent House Road site.

Bromley are all self managed aren’t they so you can’t go through the council anyway.

kat.standlake.point
22 Aug '17

No problem))). I hope it will work out for you.))

oakr
22 Aug '17

I applied this way and gt a response so I think that works.

voyageurdumonde
29 Aug '17

Hi there, I have a garden which I hardly use, full of brambles. You can use it free for a year as long as you keep it neat and clean, share some of the produce with me would be great! Contact me for a chat if you are interested. Regards Macy

oakr
23 Sep '17

So for anyone else looking at this thread, here is what I found:

Applied through Lewisham for the max 3 sites as allowed

Blythe Hill - 186 on the waiting list
Hurstbourne Road - 79 on the waiting list
Priestfield Road - 63 on list

I also applied for 2 private allotments in Lewisham.

I then applied for a variety of allotments in Bromley through http://balgf.org/ as well as a couple of in Southwark (Dulwich really).

Most are fairly non-committal on waiting list times \ list other then saying no chance this year (this is not a criticism by the way. I’m sure people have better things to do with their time, like looking after their allotments!).

Anyway, I decided I would apply for any within a 15-20 minutes drive. Most sites were full, but some suggested they may have space next year and some of their waiting lists clear quickly, and better than that I was offered a half-plot on one site within 2 days of applying. Now it’s a small side and the other end of the scale to something like Kent House Leisure Gardens, but I can start and learn tomorrow. I’ve got it on a 1 year trial basis due to the distance, which suits everyone - worse case for the allotment I’ll clear the plot for them (or someone else) and best case I’ll be there for years. I’d ideally like a bigger plot closer to me, so will see if anything else comes up next year once I have some experience under my belt.

Dorset Road which looks amazing I made it to 20 on the waiting list, which I thought was surprisingly low for such an amazing looking site.

Anyway, I guess Lewisham looks diffcult, Bromley if you are prepared (or can) travel a bit seems a better bet for the short-term. The private Lewisham sites may be better but I don’t really know.

Good luck anyone else - hope the above helps a bit!

Cara
23 Sep '17

I applied in early June and am 71 for hurstbourne and 60 for Priestfield so seems a lot of applicants over the summer. Also applied to one in Bromley that would be on my route home from work but didn’t want to go too far so it would be easier to maintain regularily should I get one.

oakr
23 Sep '17

I guess allotments look nice in summer, full of produce, nice and warm to walk around - I suspect the waiting lists go up less quickly in Winter!

I think the Lewisham ones I’ve applied for will be 3-4 years at a minimum (the initial post here is not that promising!) so I’m prepared to put in the extra time until anything comes up (and it could be longer of course) - but I want to get stuff growing for my 2 young children and I think it will be good for all of us to spend a few hours there each weekend (or just me if it’s raining \ they are bored senselless!)

Good luck with your applications!

Cara
23 Sep '17

Thank you - good thing is as most will have applied for multiple sites when someone gets one other lists they are on will free up a space. Have a small garden so growing smaller crops for now so the wait will hopefully help me get a bit more practise.

kat.standlake.point
10 Dec '17

Just came back from our allotment site (rent day) and asked managers how new members can apply. They said new people need to go on our website https://e-voice.org.uk/kha/ and fill in the application form https://e-voice.org.uk/kha/form/application-for-a-plot/

Probably the best time now to apply, they can see now who wants to carry on with thier patches and who gave up.

fran
10 Dec '17

I imagine there are lots of people who would be interested in this sort of sharing!

voyageurdumonde
11 Dec '17

Not really :slight_smile: perhaps there are too many plant killers like me :). Are you interested?

oakr
21 Jan '18

I applied in the summer and have just been offered a plot - not sure which size yet but will find out this weekend. Looking forward to being on a big site with a store, toilets and a bbq it appears, as well as some people who can give me some advice!

Foresthillnick
22 Jan '18

My wife got one at KHLA yesterday. A really nice site and the people we met were really friendly. As you say the facilities are also really good so she is looking forward to getting stuck in. Plenty of advice available there as well and just holler on here if you need anything specific

kat.standlake.point
22 Jan '18

Wonderful! It is a nice place in many ways - from available and very reasonably priced seeds and allotment equipment, fertilisers, machinery to the very friendly management, plot holders and the peace you get when you are there.

Yes, we do have barbecue and competitions, including plot competition and onion, pumpkin competition. But I just like my patch for that relaxing and peaceful environment I get when I am there. Good luck to all who applied!

oakr
22 Jan '18

Thanks @Foresthillnick - is that site the Kent House Leisure Gardens? If so I went to the open day and it does look amazing, but it’s not the site I’ve been offered.

I will hopefully get one at Kent House Road Allotments, which I think is the one @kat.standlake.point is at, which I’ve not visited before.

Am looking forward to it. I have a small plot now on another site, but it’s shaded and has lots of couch grass, though I’ve cleared a couple of beds out, though have a much better understanding of the work involved now. It would feel better to be clearing a site out that will not be shaded however (hopefully!)

Foresthillnick
22 Jan '18

It’s the Kent House Road Allotments where she has got a plot (or will have next week). We went over to look yesterday and were shown round. A really good setup - nice site hut, area for BBQs, Site shop, car park onsite and nice plots too with actual soil (my site is a clay mine!). The lady who showed us around was lovely and we met a few of the committee who insisted we have a cup of tea…
OH is very excited - She has a shed!

oakr
22 Jan '18

Great - sounds excellent - looked at the plot map and it looks good - glad to hear it is! I’ve only been to a few allotments, but everyone I’ve met on them seemed very nice and seem very up for a chat!

oakr
29 Jan '18

I got my plot on Sunday - well I will next Sunday officially. I think I may have passed you and your wife in the car at the entrance by the massive puddle on the somewhat potholed road, as I left and you arrived.

I’ve got a 9 rod plot (plot 1!), right in the corner which has it’s pluses and minuses. One plus is the fact as it’s in the corner it has over 10 mature (mostly plum I am told) trees. The plot is not in bad condition all things considered and looks like it will get a decent amount of sun.

Need to plan the plot now - one thing I wanted to ask you do you grow grapes at all? I’d quite like to grow some or kiwis, if I can fit them into my plan.

I may see you or @kat.standlake.point down there one day!

kat.standlake.point
29 Jan '18

Congratulations! :+1:

oakr
29 Jan '18

Thanks Kat - any tips on what I should or should not grow there (eg is there no point with tomatoes as they get destroyed by blight etc?) - no worries if not, was just wondering if there were anythings that are typically lost causes on this site.

kat.standlake.point
29 Jan '18

What good growing on our patch: beatroot, onion, cucambers, courgettes, carrot, corn, cabbage (any kind), potato, beans, even tomatoes (you just need to treat them regularly and start treatment early, some crops can be saved), kohlrabi… had difficulties with aubergine and peppers, but one small type of aubergine was successful.

Some people buy manure (u can order in the shop on site) and spread it all over the plot. We did once like that and had so much weed, so since then we feed plants only, not all over the patch.

The best practice for us is to pay some money to plough the patch with the tractor. We clean the grass and one of our managers comes on the tractor and turns the ground. Grow your own plant from seeds, it is cheaper and you know what you are growing. Trim the trees if you can to keep their branches at bay. I dont do it ‘professionally’, i just work on the plot because love and enjoy the proccess very much))

oakr
29 Jan '18

Thanks Kat - this is really helpful!

I also didn’t realise there was a tractor! Not sure how it would get to my corner though without taking out half the plots on the way there!

kat.standlake.point
29 Jan '18

You are welcome))),

have a chat with our managers in the shop about the tractor, alternatively you can hire, for few pounds, a hand-held ‘plougher’(- i have not tried that one yet)) and do it yourself.

kat.standlake.point
29 Jan '18

Foresthillnick
30 Jan '18

We arrived at around 10:45 on Sunday and I waved at someone leaving going in the opposite direction so maybe that was you.
My wife’s plot is number 83a which is down along the bottom edge directly down from the site hut - i think it is about 7.5 poles. The soil look amazing and we haven’t hit any clay yet so I hope that we can grow some stuff that simply won’t grow on my little plot.
Grapes - no. Although given the right variety I don’t see why not - someone grows then quite well on my plot but I think they do require a certain amount of attention and knowledge to grow.
Kiwis - I have killed two so far! While they are hardy then don’t seem to like an exposed site but they have enormous potential. They are quick to grow and given a few years can produced hundreds of fruit.

We are not going to take up the offer to plough the plot. Although it may save a lot of time I think that it is good to get intimate with your soil and to find out where to weeds are. We have found quite a lot of couch grass roots so far! Also the soil is so nice on our plot that you can pull the weeds out really easily and it doesnt need much doing to it.

I am looking forward to being able to grow sweede, celeriac, carrots and a few other crops that will not grow on clay. We met one lady down there who had grown some sweedes as big as my head - well jelly.

I have a system of sorts in that everything is grown in modules. I sow seeds in a pot or trays and then pot up into small square pots and then I only actually plant them out when they are big enough to survive the slugs! I very rarely sow direct into the soil but some things like carrots and parsnips are the exception.

@kat.standlake.point Your plot looks amazing and very productive. Hopefully we can do as well as you are doing!

Hope to see you both down there!

kat.standlake.point
30 Jan '18

:+1:

My plot is 52a. Will be pleased to meet you all there.

Re. Plot looks nice - photos were take at its best look and time))) Interestingly, the plot performance is never the same. Sometimes we work really hard and the results are not as good as expected. The year before the last, we hardly worked on it and the results were amazing, we had like 30-40 kilos of cucambers, lovely cabbage. The last year we started really well but the ending of the season was not as good as the start. Very temperamental hobby))

oakr
30 Jan '18

@Foresthillnick you’ve killed 2 kiwi trees!? :smile: I have one in the garden that produces some fruit but they never fully grow or ripen - it is against a fence mind you but as I am end of plot I can maybe shelter some better there than in the middle, though I have the trees all around already. I think it is called ‘Jenny’ and is self fertile, but I think needs more room and possibly would do better with some other plants.

Thanks for the other advice - I would like to try carrots as well as I’ve never been able to grow then either (though in my case this is down to me not the soil!)

@kat.standlake.point I agree with Nick - you have laid down the marker! If I do half as well as you this year I will be delighted!

Cara
4 Feb '18

Went to view one this morning. Will get keys next week. Very excited and a little daunted

kat.standlake.point
4 Feb '18

Congratulations! But it is hard work)))) I remember when we started our patch, the first year was very hard to clean, i used to fall asleep on the step of our shed… It felt that weed and turning the ground would never end (the first year we dug the ground by hand, then we decided that we would not play heros and got the tractor to do it). First two years were hard, then it got easier - less weed, softer ground, better understanding what and when to do things.

oakr
4 Feb '18

Hi Cara

I viewed mine last week and got the keys today. Everything I’ve read and been told is to not try and do it all at once, and attack it in blocks, and then get something growing in those blocks you’ve cleared, it looks like you have some areas you have worked, so tackle those first, decide what you want to plant there, and then start tackling the rest. It’s a marathon not a sprint I think is apt!

Here’s mine below, As you can see I’ve only cleared a small section today (and I’ve only really tuned the earth over) - there is lots to do - I doubt I’ll do the whole plot anytime soon but a few hours each time on the key bits will have it changed quite a lot in a few months time (I hope!).

I’m going to try to get some potatoes in soon once I’ve cleared the ground - I believe it’s quite useful to start off with as you clear the ground as they grow so goo d for taking over a plot.

Good luck - there’s lots of useful information out there if you need it.

Edit - did you get one of the Lewisham ones in the end?

Cara
4 Feb '18

Thank you for the advice. It’s at kent house road - I registered on their waiting list as well last year and someone pulled out last week It became available. I thought I’d be waiting a lot longer so very pleased to get one. It’s a good location for us as we are at the bottom end of Perry Rise and a nice cycle to it along the river.

Cara
4 Feb '18

Thank you - yes trying to be realistic as to what we will manage and I’m sure I’ll be after lots of advice from the neighbours!

oakr
4 Feb '18

Oh great - the earth appears to be really nice here and everyone I’ve met seems very friendly so far.

I also thought it would be years before I got a plot - I think it’s such a big site they always have quite a few plots coming up each year. I met my neighbours who are new plot holders today, and another lady who also got her keys today.

I’m in plot 1 right in the corner - feel free to come and say hi if I’m there!

Foresthillnick
5 Feb '18

We had a lovely day down there yesterday and are getting it sorted. As I have said it is a pleasure to dig but about a fifth of it was covered in membrane and gravel so that has been a challenge.
Here is is as it as when my wife took it on last week.

Managed to get one bed cleared

Yesterday we managed to move a ton or so of gravel and move a few fruit bushes…

It is such a lovely place - makes me want to forget work and just dig

oakr
5 Feb '18

Did you dig it over, or remove the weeds after loosening the soil, or both, or something else entirely?

Foresthillnick
6 Feb '18

We remove the weeds as we dig it over. The soil is very loose so they come out easily. The only issue is the amount of couch grass root on the edges but mainly the weeds are annuals so they aren’t hard to get out. The end of the plot will be a different story I think as it look as lot more overgrown

Cara
10 Feb '18

Would those with experience be up for starting a thread with advice on what you are doing when? Am reading up and there is lots of advice on various sites and dedicated groups but wondering if a local perspective would be helpful. Could also include seed swaps and so on?

Foresthillnick
10 Feb '18

Good idea - done!

Lend_and_Tend
16 Jul '18

Hi try LendandTend.com to share a garden locally, instead of waiting on endless allotment waiting lists. Visit our site and see what’s available near you.
Thanks!

Lend_and_Tend
16 Jul '18

Hello, I started LendandTend.com as I was waiting on endless allotment waiting lists. Visit our site and see what’s available near you.
Thanks!