Archived on 6/5/2022

Almost back to school time

anon64893700
24 Aug '17

As the summer holidays draw to an end, so does the respite on the roads, public transport and other seasonally affected services.

I for one won’t look forwards to the busier roads. Year after year it comes as a shock, the sudden increase.
Anyone else looking forwards to their journeys returning to “normal”

Londondrz
24 Aug '17

It’s harvest time out here so a few more tractors and combines on the road than normal. Norfolk busses 85% of it’s pupils to school so there is no real school rush hour.

RachaelDunlop
24 Aug '17

The roadworks at the Crystal Palace double roundabouts are not going to be fun once the regular rush hour traffic is back. We waited for three changes of the temporary lights before getting through at 8:30 this morning, in otherwise very light traffic.

starman
24 Aug '17

Ya’ll need to have longer summer mid-terms in this country.

anon64893700
24 Aug '17

Mild jealousy here @londondrz

anon64893700
24 Aug '17

Yup, my sister is over that way, certain times of day are a nightmare, and that’s now! Hopefully they have some of the worst done by that time.

MajaHilton
24 Aug '17

Roadworks at Crystal Palace roundabouts are going to be there for months. What used to be 15 min commute has turned into and hour long return for me. Therefore you may see me on platform 2 in the mornings if I don’t have enough energy to cycle. The hills are hard more than once or twice a week.

BTW, Station to Station monthly train ticket (on National Rail) was less than a half price of just single zone.

Foresthillnick
25 Aug '17

Blimey 6 months! Although i don’t have to I do ride up there a few times a day from various angles and you can see the frustration of drivers - they are stuck going up the hills to get on Crystal Palace and it is the quietest time of year. All the private schools in the area go back next week so the fun will start on Tuesday…

RachaelDunlop
25 Aug '17

A concern for us as my son gets to school via bus to Crystal Palace then on to Streatham. It takes an hour under normal circumstances. If these delays get really bad he’ll have to get the train, which is not free for kids, unlike the bus.

anon64893700
25 Aug '17

Wow, that long! Guess it’s necessary, but hope they have a plan to get traffic flowing a bit better soon.

One whole chunk of a major route. Dread to think of the knock on effects once traffic returns to normal volumes.