Archived on 6/5/2022

Any shop owners want some change for notes?

anon64893700
9 Sep '16

Bit of a strange one, but I have the following coins bagged up, and just wondered if I could save a shop owner a trip to the bank, or any fees you might pay (dunno about that)

I have
£60 in 20p
£15 in 10p
£5 in 5p
£4 in 2p
£2 in 1p

I will take £86 for the lot, bargain eh!

Feel free to spread the word, if not I will bank it Monday.

@Pauline @TheArchieParker @Finches_Sports

Londondrz
9 Sep '16

If you do bank it let me know how much they charge. We also have around £80 bagged up looking at us. The tin it is in is labelled “Mommy and Daddies running away fund”. The girls are not amused.

anon64893700
9 Sep '16

Natwest don’t charge a bean @Londondrz for customers anyway lol.
Couldn’t bear to put it into one of those, now greedy, machines. 9.9% indeed!

Londondrz
9 Sep '16

Not a NatWest fan after their recent cock up with me. 9.9%!! They are extracting the urine!

anon64893700
9 Sep '16

I have been issue free with them for years, so won’t ask what happened lol.

9.9 is those cash machines in Sainsburys etc. I have seen some charge more!

Londondrz
9 Sep '16

They lied to me but I caught them out. They are now “investigating”.

anon64893700
9 Sep '16

Not good at all mate. Bunch of bankers eh!

starman
9 Sep '16

When I lived in Camberwell I took all my change to the Natwest there. They had a “Coin Star” style machine so didn’t even have to bag the coins. Of course you had to be a customer and it was deposited into your account.

My other half recently took quite a large stash over several days to the Barclays in FH. He bagged it using a coin counter but they didn’t charge and seemed happy to take it all in.

Worth checking though if your bank has a branch with a Coin Star machine inside.

Londondrz
9 Sep '16

I really dont fancy a schlep all the way to Sydenham though.

anon64893700
9 Sep '16

I have seen similar on some branches before, but never locally. Shame really.

topofthehill
9 Sep '16

Santander Forest Hill take coins at no charge provided they are bagged in their bags.

Londondrz
9 Sep '16

Awesome, thank you.

StDavid
10 Sep '16

Always!! If you ever have more we will happily swap x

anon64893700
10 Sep '16

Excellent, still got this lot, so if you want it, let me know and I will run it up to you whenever a good time is for you @StDavid

Simon
11 Sep '16

We always seem to be swamped with small change at The Archie Parker - but if anyone is walking around with 50p, £1 or £2 coins we’d always happily change those up!

Excellent idea

AndyS
12 Sep '16

The collective noun for bankers is “a wunch”.

AndyS
12 Sep '16

If you bank with HSBC a few of their branches have coin-counting machines so you can deposit the contents of the piggy bank straight into your a/c. No fees. Branches in Croydon and Cannon St have them, I believe.

anon64893700
12 Sep '16

All banked now