Archived on 6/5/2022

Anyone up for a game of table tennis?

Karl_Ove
17 May '17

I live locally and am a very keen table tennis player. Is there any place in Forest Hill, Honor Oak or close you could recommend for a game of pong? I am also looking for a game partner, should be an intermediate or advanced player. Any tips or ideas welcome!

Karol

helensulis
17 May '17

For days when the weather is nice there are tables in Dulwich Park. I don’t know of anywhere closer though.

RachaelDunlop
17 May '17

There are, or were, some in Mayow Park.

Foresthillnick
17 May '17

I used to play a lot when I was supposed to be working for a council and got pretty good but haven’t played for years.
Have you looked at http://www.fusionttc.co.uk - not FH but SE…

Michael
17 May '17

There is also one in the Horniman Triangle play park

Brett
17 May '17

I think that Peckham Rye park has some in the adventure playground.

This site has a search facility:
http://www.pingengland.co.uk/london/index.php

There are a couple in Warwick gardens too (SE15).

MajaHilton
17 May '17

Hi Karol
Hi there is table tennis club on Friday nights (7-9) at Forest Hill Boys school (sports centre)
All abilities are welcome and I did go with my whole family for a while.
(Kids now prefer to go for Octopush)

Pauline
17 May '17

Maybe we can arrange a tournament on Dartmouth Road when the Road is closed :+1:

Karl_Ove
17 May '17

Thanks for all suggestions, some of them are really useful to me. Everyone who recommended playing in the park, I am sure it’s a lot of fun at lunchtime, but not what I am after at the moment. You can’t play on a decent level in the park because of the weather conditions (mostly wind) and some tables are not in a suitable condition either, not to mention lack of a proper net. What I was after was more amateur sports league.

The fusion TTC looks very promising!

I wish these outdoors ping pong tables were sheltered with a plexiglass or something similar to shelter them from wind. Table tennis is a game of skill not chance!

@MajaHilton you made me aware of octopush now, maybe I should just change dissciplines:) Thanks for this suggestion, do you know how much is the fee for playing?

@Pauline great suggestion, great occasion for a street party indeed! OFF TOPIS: What is the goal of the works that are about to start?

Thanks again for all replies and suggestions!

Karol

RachaelDunlop
17 May '17

@Karl_Ove: Re the Dartmouth Road improvements: Dartmouth Road Reconfiguration

starman
17 May '17

I used to be a dab hand at the game. My back hand smash followed by an arching slice put the fear of riley into my family. Or at least that’s what it felt like as a 9 year old.

topofthehill
18 May '17

Someone used to organize a ping pong evening every week (Thursdays, I think) at the Goldsmiths Arms. Not sure whether theyre still there.

MajaHilton
18 May '17

Hi Karol
I am not sure on exact money but compared to other activities we get change from £10 when 3 of us do it. (2 kids + adult), and not much more for all of us.
Both sports have similar charges.

Octopush club has some equipment to lend and the first session is free.

Good luck.

malcolmchurch
18 May '17

Suggest you also try Dulwich Table tennis club - http://www.dulwichttc.com/

Jai_Warya
28 May '17

Karl,

I’d be up for playing on Saturdays if that interests you? I’m an intermediate player (though it’s impossible to know what another person’s standards are) Have you looked at Dulwich TTC? Playing outdoors is never really fun.

Cheers,

Jai

Tarek
11 Jul '17

I might be a little bit late on this action, but i also live locally and i am looking for someone/somewhere to train with/at. (I dont mind playing in the park for fun tho…)

Jai_Warya
14 Jul '17

Hi Tarek,

thanks for getting in touch. I haven’t yet looked at the Dulwich TT Club but will do this weekend and will post info to co-ordinate further!

Cheers,

Jai

James_Lennard
22 Oct '17

They a small group in corfton Park they meet on Wednesday nights 8-15 till 10pm at st hilder church hall cost £5

Jai_Warya
5 Nov '17

Thanks James.

Does one just turn up or is there a sign up online somewhere?

James_Lennard
5 Nov '17

Please feel free to just turn up first night will be free … we have for mix ability of players l. We use 4 tables.

Jai_Warya
5 Nov '17

Excellent! Thanks and see you on Wednesday.

James_Lennard
5 Nov '17

Look forward to meeting you

malcolmchurch
6 Dec '17

Brilliant - I will turn up too!

malcolmchurch
6 Dec '17

Just been for my first proper table tennis session for 10 years. Since then I have had two new knees, two cataract operations and put on 3 stone in weight. Still enjoyed myself tonight, great venue and thank you, James, for your warm welcome.

yves
18 Feb '18

Hi all, is the Wednesday night group still meeting at st hilder church? I’d be up for a few games of Table Tennis!

James_Lennard
18 Mar '18

Yes they are

captainkitchen
17 Apr '18

hi there
still looking for table tennis folks?
i’m keen
alex

James_Lennard
28 Apr '18

have a look
https://www.tabletennis365.com/CroftonPark/Location

Emmy
20 Jul '18

Hi there,

I’m looking for partners to play table tennis outdoors in the park during the nice weather. Anyone want to have a game ?

Hope to see you soon.

Emma

el
9 Jul '19

Let’s play im looking for someone too im based in Sydenham.

el
9 Jul '19

Where? When?

captainkitchen
9 Jul '19

er… wow this post was 2 yrs ago but yes i’m still up for a game. apart from outdoors in Mayow park ( not ideal) don’t know where tables are

do you?

alex

Austen_Jones
9 Jul '19

Blythe Hill Fields, SE23 installed an outdoor table tennis table last year by the Blythe Hill Lane entrance.

Petra
26 Jan '20

Hello, I realise this is a year later, but are st hilder church still doing ping pong? Thanks

DevonishForester
27 Jan '20

I’m trying to persuade the gym at Forest Hill Pools to get a table.

James_Lennard
27 Jan '20

Hi Petra yes the club still meet in st hilder church full adress is St Hildas Church Hall, Courtrai Rd, London SE23 1PL meet wednesday night 8.15 pm till 10pm first night free
feel free to email me at the club on croftonparkttc@outlook.com
thanks james

oakr
27 Jan '20

Hi James

Thanks for this - I’ve sent you an email as well.

Al

Jude
18 Jul '20

Hi James and other local table-tennis players
Will Crofton Park table-tennis be able to resume in a week’s time, when indoor sport is allowed? The guidance from Table-tennis England is for singles only, in a large space. Before March I was playing doubles regularly in Bromley on 4 tables in two clubs of 40 older people. The top 6 of us are a good intermediate standard. I miss playing so much, but with so few people being allowed- bubbles of 6-only for singles, I can’t see my clubs returning for a long time. I’d even play outdoors- I live near Blythe Hill. The wind makes it difficult, but I’d still like to play! Any suggestions?

James_Lennard
19 Jul '20

Hi
The club will still be closed until I get the go head from the hall! I have a number of safety checks to do first before letting people back to play !
As soon as I have open and brought back members to the club I shell contact you again!! ! I hope we are back soon as I really miss play as well ! Thanks you

Lara
19 Jul '20

There’s one on Blythe Hill

Jude
10 Apr '21

Looks like indoor table-tennis won’t resume until at least June 31st. Anyone interested in playing on the outdoor table on Blythe Hill? It can get a bit windy, but I have some outdoor table-tennis balls which help a bit. It’s usually less windy in the mornings.

croftonparkttc
12 Jun '21

Hi sorry it been along time. if you are still interested in play the club is now open. feel free to look at the website to contact me https://www.croftonparkttc.com/contact

Rosered
13 Jun '21

There’s one in Blythe Hill Fields by the Blythe Hill Lane entrance.