Archived on 6/5/2022

Back of church in Devonshire Rise

magse23
26 May '16

The rear of the Church in Devonshire Rise (used as a polling station) is an eyesore for those of us living in Manor Mount or Davids Road. There are steps down to Devonshire Rise which should be available - certainly on Polling days. The church has been asked several times to do this but apparently says they are now covered with.weed. I wrote them a polite letter asking for a more attractive restoration of the David Road entrance (never opened) but have not had the courtesy of a reply. What next? .

thirstforwine
26 May '16

Funnily enough I was just looking at that the other week as I walked past.

Sounds like @Londondrz and I need to practice some of our guerilla gardening there. :slight_smile:

The problem with these things is that they are not one-offs. It will need to be maintained on an ongoing basis, and being an eye-sore but not dangerous probably is not reason enough to compel them. On the contrary, opening it up will mean they become MORE responsible for it and the potential hazards (loose steps, lack of hand rails, etc). I suspect the answer is “not much”

Londondrz
26 May '16

If memeory serves me the church built the steps without planning and were ordered to remove them. Dont think that has been done. Dont quote me on that but if you do a search on the other site it may come up.

Happy to bring the strimmer, need a long lead as I dont have a cordless one :blush:

magse23
26 May '16

Sent an email - realise I have to reply here - not the perfect geek yet. I said
I have both a strimmer and a long lead or two, but we can’t get in! You’re right about the planning but apparently the ‘owners’ of the church are in the USA. I’m not sure that makes it US territory. i think one of the councillors also contacted them at my request a year or so ago - without results.

Londondrz
26 May '16

Unless the US of A has made it sovereign territory it is still Blighty. Lets all strim whilst singing Yankee Doodle Dandy!