Bampton Estate, the possibility of a new building next to Standlake Point

bampton-rd
inglemere-rd
windrush-ln

I am not giving up either))).

We came to the meeting as we feel very strongly about loss of green space, beautiful trees, woodpeckers,etc as well as the fact our area simply cannot sustain even more traffic and people. We were met by a very brusque architect and forceful bordering on rude woman from Lewisham who basically kept repeating the fact that Lewisham has 10,000 people in temporary accommodation and they have to make choices. When we mentioned traffic and parking affecting the neighbouring roads they kept saying it would be older people who wouldn’t have cars. On the plans they show allocated parking for the new units on Bampton road and on Ffifield Path. When we said this is just the road she quickly changed the subject. We were made to feel very uncomfortable by all the people from Lewisham, as if by rejecting more people in an already crowded area, somehow we are snobs or classist or something. Horrible experience. We did fill in forms but not sure I feel confident that they will be properly used.

I have walked along the adjoining roads to the proposed development at seversl different times. I have counted between 2 & 4 vacant slots that one could park a car in. Completely debunking the Lewisham Homes premise that additional parking is available.
As previously mentioned over 55’s do drive and own cars, their is no mention of the loss of the row of garages currently in use on the Bampton estate? Are the cars within these going to disappear or will they occupy the newly created parking spaces!
Perhaps Lewisham Homes will issue an edict thst residents of the new build will be prohibited from owning cars?

If Lewisham are so concerned about housing, what about the old Brent Knoll school site in Mayow road? Close to Sydenham near a bus stop and the park for elderly people to enjoy.
Also in the comments they say units for sale yet to be confirmed? Surely selling homes goes against housing those in genuine need? With 10,000 in temporary accomodation selling homes is the last thing that should be under consideration?
Perhaps the question should be would the architect and the councillors like to live on the estate or better still is there green space near their homes that could also be used for additional homes?

If 10,000 people in Lewisham are in temp accommodation, who’s fault is that? Ours? Are we the ones that manage the borough? Who is in charge of the plans and public money? What the local government and local councillors, or who occupied those posts for years, have been doing so far that the situation reached that bad level? Why ordinary residents, who are the taxpayers, have to pay for local government mistakes and mismanagement that resulted in 10,000 people in temp.accomodation?

Can representatives of the local government comment on that please.

They were told on many occasion that there are plenty of opportunities:

• old Brent Knoll School on Mayow road
  • freshly rejected gas works (huge site for housing blocks)
  • Milverton block (the block opposite the gas works)

Why they have to destroy our beautiful green space?

Lewisham households in temporary accomodation

I have just sent an email to 19 Lewisham Councilors including Deputy Mayor.

"Dear Lewisham Councillors,

My name is Kat (full name xxx) and I am a resident of Standlake Point block on Bampton Estate, SE23-2XB since 2001, I am also a leaseholder of the flat x,Standlake Point since 2007.
I am very sorry to trouble you all but we are looking for help in our local community matter.
Lewisham Homes are currently planning to build additional housing on our Estate (location: Bampton Estate, Windrush Lane, Forest Hill, SE23-2XB) https://hq3v243wqqe3dgv253uelk9o-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/Bampton-Public-Consultation-Boards-December-2017.pdf

The Lewisham Homes project team held meetings with Bampton residents twice – one in the summer when residents attended expressed their strong disagreement with building plans on our estate, and another one on 14th of December 2017 where residents attended felt they were not heard despite strong objection to the building plans. It feels that the building plans will go ahead despite a very strong protest and resistance from the majority of the blocks residents - residents from over 100 households out of 120 from all three blocks signed the objection petition, and residents of neighbouring houses and streets, who also signed the objection petition – please see attached. We have also asked for help our three local councillors - John Paschoud, Alan Till and Susan Wise, local MP Ellie Reeves, whom we submitted our objection petition to and Department for Communities and Local Government, but it seems nothing stops Lewisham Homes. The green space of our estate with the ballcourt is a very valuable community asset, it is used by the residents and children of the blocks, neighbouring houses and streets, children from the neighbouring school.
Lewisham Homes force its building plans disrespecting and disregarding the opinion of the Bampton residents.
It says in their last project document that:
“After the first consultation event we have taken on board your feedbacks”

Our feedback was a very strong objection to the building plans on our estate that was confirmed in the objection petition, signed by the estate residents and residents of neighbouring houses and streets, and submitted to Lewisham Homes (please see attached). Our feedback was that we object to any building on our estate. We want our green space, our ball court, our trees, our grass, our space remained as it is now, untouched. We are not against building new housing but it should be done outside of our estate. There are a lot of options available – old Brent Knoll School site on Mayow road, old Bell Green Gas Works site that has been recently rejected for retail development, old tall block on Ardley close and Perry Hill. There are other options available outside our estate that won’t have such negative impact on people’s lives. Building on our estate is not acceptable. Please help us to stop Lewisham Homes plans to destroy our lovely community neighbourhood - a very valuable community asset that is very dear to all of us.

Please see attachments for more details.

Yours sincerely,
Kat
xxx"

Gmail - (no subject).pdf (121.7 KB)

‘Officers would therefore like to progress two alternative sets of proposals for the Bampton estate: new Council development on the vacant land which could happen regardless and then also a potential wider regeneration scheme with L&Q. Officers intend to select an architect to develop the proposals for the vacant land.’ Housing Led Regeneration.pdf (133.4 KB)

Isn’t that plan off the table when they confirmed that the redevelopment is off the table and the houses on Whitney and shifford get refurbished instead?

News from Perry Vale - visits to the houses and flats on Perry Vale to let them know about the " consultation ". Not one household knew anything about the proposal and had not been contacted by LEWISHAM homes this time or back in he summer . The good news is that all so far are going to oppose the plans

We already have plans of our further actions. I will publish them in due course.

WE ARE NOT GIVING UP!

Sent to Lewisham planning department:

Tree Preservation Order request and local Town Green application/ Bampton Estate, Forest Hill, SE23-2XB

Dear Sir, Madam,

I would like to put forward a request to make Tree Preservation Order for all trees on Bampton Estate, Forest Hill, SE23-2XB.

We have over 140 trees on our estate. The majory of them are mature trees and as old as the the blocks on the estate. They are an intrinsic part of amenity that local and neighbouring communities enjoy and value very much. They are main contributors to the local landscape beauty, they are also home for protective wildlife species. They are at risk of being cut down wilfully.

I would also like to make an application for the green open space, including the ball court, of our estate to be given status local Town Green. It matches all criteria required for the application:

• the green space is in reasonably close proximity to the community it serves
  • the green area is demonstrably special to a local community and holds a particular local significance, for example because of its beauty, historic significance, recreational value (including as a playing field), tranquillity or richness of its wildlife
  • the green area concerned is local in character and is not an extensive tract of land.
    (From National Planning Policy Framework).

I am currently in process of collecting support information and would like my application request noted and taken into account for any current or future decisions please.

Kind regards,
Kat
Member of Open Spaces Society
Resident and leaseholder,
Standlake Point
Forest Hill, SE23-2XB

Go @kat.standlake.point :+1: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree:

Hi everyone,

I really need your help!

I received information that there is a meeting planned for 28th of Feb. It will be Mayor and Cabinet meeting where various building projects, including ours on Bampton Estate, will be discussed and decisions made to allow those projects to go further to planning applications.

http://councilmeetings.lewisham.gov.uk/ieListDocuments.aspx?CId=139&MId=4650

I will be writing an email to Mayor and Cabinet before the meeting takes place asking for the decision on the project on our estate to be stopped and objected to. I recommend every one of us, showing our solidarity and determination, write an email to Mayor and cabinet before the meeting takes place asking them to object to the project on our estate. We will try everything to stop this project and if our voices/our emails can be heard before the important decision is made, we should take this chance to express our objections.

Mayor and Cabinet: http://councilmeetings.lewisham.gov.uk/mgCommitteeDetails.aspx?ID=139

Kevin Flaherty (Secretary)
Sir Steve Bullock steve.bullock@lewisham.gov.uk
Councillor Alan Smith cllr_alan.smith@lewisham.gov.uk
Councillor Chris Best cllr_chris.best@lewisham.gov.uk
Councillor Kevin Bonavia cllr_kevin.bonavia@lewisham.gov.uk
Councillor Janet Daby Cllr_janet.daby@lewisham.gov.uk
Councillor Joe Dromey cllr_joe.dromey@lewisham.gov.uk
Councillor Damien Egan damien.egan@lewisham.gov.uk
Councillor Paul Maslin cllr_paul.maslin@lewisham.gov.uk
Councillor Joan Millbank cllr_joan.millbank@lewisham.gov.uk
Councillor Rachel Onikosi cllr_rachel.onikosi@lewisham.gov.uk

Kat
Standlake Point
Bampton Estate

For the attention of Sir Steve Bullock, Councillor Alan Smith, Councillor Chris Best, Councillor Kevin Bonavia , Councillor Janet Daby, Councillor Joe Dromey, Councillor Damien Egan, Councillor Paul Maslin, Councillor Joan Millbank, Councillor Rachel Onikosi

Cc: Councillors John Paschoud, Councillor Alan Till, Councillor Susan Wise.

Cc: Karen Partridge, Planning Casework Manager, Planning Casework Unit, Department for Communities and Local Government

Cc: Ellie Reeves, Local MP, case ref. ER1236

Cc: Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.

Cc: Open Spaces Society

Cc: Forest Hill Society

Cc: London Wildlife Trust

Dear Mayor, Councillors

My name is Kat and I am a local resident of Bampton Estate since 2001, I am also a leaseholder of a flat on Bampton Estate since 2007, I am also a member of Open Spaces Society.

Residents of Bampton Estate have recently found out that there will be a meeting of Lewisham Mayor&Cabinet held on 28th of February 2018. The building plans on our Estate will be one of the discussion points at the meeting. As you probably may be aware, residents of the estate and residents from neighbouring houses and streets are categorically objecting to the building plans on our estate because the estate open green space, including the ball court, are very valuable community assets for both environment and amenity.

I am currently applying for a Tree Preservation Order and also for our estate green open space, including the ball court, to be registered as local Town Green as it matches all criteria required for the registration:

• where the green space is in reasonably close proximity to the community it serves;

• where the green area is demonstrably special to a local community and holds a particular local significance, for example, because of its beauty, historic significance, recreational value (including as a playing field), tranquillity or richness of its wildlife;

• where the green area concerned is local in character and is not an extensive tract of land.

(From National Planning Policy Framework).

The planning officers in the report to Mayor and Cabinet recommend for the planning application to be approved and agreed by the Mayor and cabinet. It seems the concerns of residents and neighbours have been ignored. However, it is believed that the development fails to consider Lewisham Council guidelines which I would like to bring to your attention:

The building plans on our estate go against Lewisham Open Space Strategy:

• conserving and enhancing the natural environment,

• protecting and enhancing valued landscapes, minimising impacts on biodiversity and providing net gains in biodiversity

• open space and environmental assets recognises the strategic importance of the natural environment and to help mitigate against climate change the Council will conserve nature, green the public realm and provide opportunities for sport, recreation, leisure and wellbeing

• resists inappropriate development on the areas of Public Open Space (POS) or Urban Green Space (UGS)

Our open green space has a lot of mature trees, it is also a home for protected species – 3 types of woodpeckers, barn owls, stag-beetles. Our open green space and ball court is extensively used not only by local residents and children but also by residents from local streets, children from the neighbouring school and is a popular feature.

The building plans will reduce and destroy the local open green space, which is also a very valuable local amenity asset, by at least 35%, destroy trees and the remedial strategies like redesigning car parks and assuming adjacent roads will offer additional parking? Relocating the ball-court which residents don’t agree to, creating a cut through road and supposed additional car spaces when current facilities are inadequate. 50 additional dwellings even conservatively would add 30 cars so the plan is totally flawed.

National Planning Policy Framework clearly states ‘conserving and enhancing the natural environment’:

• the planning system should contribute to and enhance the natural and local environment by protecting and enhancing valued landscapes, geological conservation interests and soils;

• recognising the wider benefits of ecosystem services;

• minimising impacts on biodiversity and providing net gains in biodiversity where possible

The building plans on our estate clearly go against the National Planning Policy Framework that must be taken into account in the preparation of local and neighbourhood plans and is a material consideration in planning decisions and also against Lewisham Open Space Strategy.

Reviewing Lewisham Open Space Strategy and National Planning Policy Framework, I am therefore asking the Mayor and Cabinet, with the support of over 180 residents and neighbours to object to the further progress of the proposed building plans on Bampton Estate.

Please find supporting information attached.

Yours sincerely,

Kat

25/02/2018

Hi Kat,

I live on Perry Vale and just been pointed to this website as a result of the Bampton Estate development proposal.

I am completely unaware and have not been engaged, consulted, not even a cursory letter on the proposals from Lewisham Homes.

I see the website says there has been local consultation – this simply cannot be true. My property is on the red line boundary of the plans, with our home in the architects models! – so surely our views need to be considered?

I have just emailed the council my views – though I’m not sure what or when they maybe seeking them. It seems a black box. The council and therefore Lewisham Homes obviously have our details from the electoral register – so it stumps me as to how they haven’t thought worthy to engage us.

Our 3 story home/flat will be dwarfed by the 5 story development on the edge of our garden. Light issues etc pale into the loss of green space and wildlife.

Hi, one of the residents from Perry Vale said they have not been consulted either. I am currently at work and cannot write a proper post. But please email to Mayor and Cabinet before the meeting tomorrow so they have as many people’s voices as possible. Tomorrow a decision can be made to progress further to the official planning stage. I have a feeling that smb from the council is pushing this project. I dont think LH have so much powers to ignore residents opinion if not backed by smbd with some authority.

That what Cllr John Paschoud replied to one of residents on Perry Vale. He copied his response to few people:

(I dont trust any one there and from my experience dealing with LH, Councillors, etc., you wont get help and responses will be strictly within certain boundaries that may be very misleading. As you can see, there is no metion in his reply about the project to be agreed on 28th Feb for the next planning stage. I got the meeting info from a person who is trying to help us, not LH, not Councillors.

Dear XXX,

Thank you for copying me in to your response to Lewisham Homes.

As far as I’m aware, the consultation carried out so far by Lewisham Homes has only been aimed at their own tenants and leaseholders, as they’re required to do under Housing legislation.

Any possible proposed development in the area must still gain Planning permission, with wider and more formal requirements for consultation with neighbours who may be affected. And anyone (whether they are individually invited or not) can submit views, which must be properly considered, if and when that happens.

I do not think a Planning application has yet been received by the Council for this site.

Best wishes,

John

Is this reply from @John_Paschoud not just outlining the standard operational requirements of a development plan.
I was under the impression that it was not officially at the planning permission stage. Forgive me if I have misunderstood.

I am guessing so, never saw this guy, only met Susan Wise.

The project will be discussed tomorrow at Mayor and Cabinet meeting and planning officers (really would like to know who they are) are recommending to aprove it for further progress to the official planning stage.

And I really really will be grateful if anyone will email to Mayor and Cabinet befor tomorrow 18pm asking to stop this project. Please help us to save our open green space and ball court.

I would assume the official planning stage is where it really all happens, and this whole thread comes into its own. At the moment where people are just throwing ideas about, I don’t suppose the individual gets much of a say.