Beckenham Place Park

I’ve never had immigrants crap on me. Though metaphorically I’ve had white male suburbanites do get quite close to it. :wink:

Not unless their parents applied for settlement before they were born.

Let’s keep it BPP here, please folks.

I hate seeing mature trees lost. Don’t worry though, they’ll be replaced by some twiglings no doubt.

Does anyone know if those are silver birch? If so they’re not looking healthy. The typical lifespan of silver birch is 80 years so I’d wonder if these are marked for removal on plant health reasons.

There’s something about felling trees that really makes people feel emotional, me included.

However, the parkland at Beckenham Place Park is not the same as the ancient woodland. The parkland is an artificial landscape planted up some 100 years ago. So yes, there will be mature-looking trees there like silver birch which are not long-lived and which should have been felled and replaced in an ongoing programme over the decades. The parkland was designed in a time when the owner of the ‘big house’ would have employed skilled groundsmen and gardeners to maintain a rolling programme of planting and felling of these ornamental trees.

I really understand how upsetting this is for people. I have lost four of my own trees in the past two years due to honey fungus infection. Those of my neighbours who don’t know why I had to have healthy-looking trees removed probably think I’m a vandal. In truth I’m heartbroken.

The active management and change of sections of the park is a very positive thing, after years of neglect and underinvestment. The landscape is already very largely artificially shaped by its previous users and this is simply continuing its evolution.There does not seem much merit in leaving it or trees nearing the end of their natural lifespan to their own devices. Would we argue against planned park management in other large parks - say Greenwich? Hyde Park?
The lake is a puzzle to me though. Walking by the hole yesterday I could see the size and shape of it and I thought it will become a very attractive feature, but open water swimming? won’t it be quickly colonised by water fowl? Though that might be pleasant to look at, I find it hard to imagine anyone swimming there.

I think it will be mostly full of dogs!

haha Yes that would be enough to keep me out.

The knobbly bits on the bark are usually a sign of some sort of disease. My old apple tree looks like that after years of molestation by woolly aphids.

I’d swim there! A few years back when I was marginally less unfit I did a few triathlons and actually went over to Ham to swim in an open water lake there. I suspect the likes of Crystal Palace Triathletes and others might be interested, if it supports that sort of thing.

Alternatively, if they were to make it a beach like area, it could be somewhere families go but I suspect that might be more difficult safety and regulatory wise, but they have quite a few places like that in France and Spain (though it is warmer there!) where they have built sand beaches by them - which of course might not fit in the scheme here.

I hope you are right - it would be great if it really does get used for swimming. One end is already looking like the promised gently sloping entry into the lake so there will be safe access. There’s plenty of sand in the golf course bunkers. Beckenham Beach anyone?

I know it’s now very friendly for walkers - no danger of being hit by a golf ball. Not personal experience but positive comments from a friend walking their dog there.