Bell Green Aldi Powered by Diesel Generators?

This just in from Aldi:

tzcS2oqB_400x400

3 Likes

They could have delayed the opening the store until main power was available.

3 Likes

I have literally no idea how the planning \ approval works for such instances, but it seems incredible in this day and age this is permitted. I’d understand if there was a temporary issue with the mains supply after they had opened and they need a short-term fix to stay open \ save the food from perishing, but this sounds like they knew their would be no mains supply and it appears no prospect of it anytime soon.

Well done on getting the reply whoever was involved in that.

3 Likes

As far as I can see there were only two Planning Applications relating to Aldi’s use of the site - the two applications referred to in earlier posts.

https://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=_LEWIS_DCAPR_101586
DC/19/113670 | Construction of new GRP electrical substation enclosure and associated concrete hard standing at UNIT 1 AND 2, BELL GREEN RETAIL PARK, BELL GREEN, SE26. | UNIT 1 AND 2, BELL GREEN RETAIL PARK, BELL GREEN, LONDON, SE26 4PR

And the earlier one, for the change of use …

https://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?previousCaseType=Application&keyVal=_LEWIS_DCAPR_96608&previousCaseNumber=DC%2F19%2F113670&activeTab=summary&previousKeyVal=_LEWIS_DCAPR_101586

DC/18/108701 | Change of Use of the vacant ‘Toys R Us’ (A1 Use Class Non-Food) to an Aldi (A1 Use Class Food) with alterations to the front and side elevations and the erection of a delivery pod to the rear, together with other ancillary alterations at units 1 and 2 Bell Green Retail Park, SE26. | UNIT 1 AND 2, BELL GREEN RETAIL PARK, BELL GREEN, LONDON, SE26 4PR

Whether there’s anything in the DC/18/10870 application documents that covers power, I don’t know. But there is a lengthy acoustic report, which as far as I can see didn’t anticipate an extra electrical sub-station. The acoustic report probably wouldn’t make a lot of sense now that so much has changed on the site.

There is further information here about the discharge of Conditions relating to Noise and Vibration. But again I don’t know if it anticipates the sub-station (lots of documents) …

https://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=_LEWIS_DCAPR_98881

DC/19/110968 | Details submitted in compliance of Condition 3 (Noise & Vibration) and Condition 4 (Cycle Parking) of the planning permission DC/18/108701 granted 16/11/2018 for the change of Use of the vacant ‘Toys R Us’ (A1 Use Class Non-Food) to an Aldi (A1 Use Class Food) with alterations to the front and side elevations and the erection of a delivery pod to the rear, together with other ancillary alterations at units 1 and 2 Bell Green Retail Park, SE26. | UNIT 1 AND 2, BELL GREEN RETAIL PARK, BELL GREEN, LONDON, SE26 4PR

The Lewisham Planning Case Officer for the first two links listed was Lewis Goodley. The Officer for the Conditions Discharge application was Joe Higgins. If either of them is still around they may be able to advise.

Or the original complainant could talk to her Ward Councillors:
cllr_jacq.paschoud@lewisham.gov.uk
CllrSue.Hordijenko@lewisham.gov.uk

1 Like

Yep. It appears a standard response they are sending out now.

I’m finding it really hard to believe that a multinational like Aldi could purchase a site, refurbish and refit it, then stock it and open it - all before they’d sorted out power supply issues!

Either I’m being super naive, or Aldi have been very remiss in their planning - or there’s something that we still aren’t being told…

3 Likes

Did Toys R Us run on mains power ?

Probably but Aldi would have a much bigger load due to freezers and fridges.

3 Likes

Disappointing that Aldi’s initial default response was to lie.

Has anyone raised this issue with local councillors of the area?