James1P
28 Apr '18

And an Asda too!

anon5422159
28 Apr '18

In today’s news:

anon51837532
28 Apr '18

Anyone have any views on any increase in traffic to this new store at Bell Green a la Aldi ?

Perhaps people are confident that there will not be any increase after all.

anon5422159
28 Apr '18

@James1P do you know if Asda is building a new store, or will it just be taking up existing space in Sainsbury as per Argos?

I imagine traffic will be much the same if the same overall shopfloor area is being maintained. Probably lessened due to the closure of ToysRUs, too.

I’d like to see Bell Green prosper with useful stores that people want. Could never understand the case for Aldi. Waitrose please!

Asda got only one vote in our straw poll:

Wynell
28 Apr '18

John Lewis/Waitrose have suffered a 77% drop in revenues and the supermarket is suffering from competition from the likes of Aldi & Lidl so whilst many favour a Waitrose is it more aspiration, elitism? Whatever it is seems people have Champagne dreams with Lemonade money.

anon5422159
28 Apr '18

It’s just a supermarket, lol!

starman
28 Apr '18

In the Which? Magazine supermarket ratings Aldi has been #1 for a couple of years now beating out M&S into second with Lidl in third. Sainsbury’s is at the bottom of the list. Used to be Coop Food by a large margin but they are now longer classified as a supermarket by the title.

Wynell
28 Apr '18

You obvioudly did not read the expressions of desire for a Waitrose rsther than Aldi when the precious Gas Holder site was being discussed?
Sadly we have neither, just a pile of rusting iron and a wildlife/industrial storage.

James1P
28 Apr '18

Chris, at this stage the details of proposed merger are unclear but it’s highly unlikely that an Asda will appear either inside Sainsbury’s or along side it. The brands will remain independent and allow the group to target both ends of the market. Rumour has it that M&S food is about to go pop so market consolidation could continue at a terrific pace…

anon51837532
28 Apr '18

So the postulation is that there will be no increase in traffic to Bell Green ?

Is it being argued that Sainsbury’s acquisition investment plus the costs of setting the new shop-in-shop Argos is not going to generate new traffic ?

How interesting and it is to be hoped that Sainsbury’s main board are tuned into this debate . How are they to react to all this capital investment and no increase in return ?

But then they had the insight to look carefully at the Argos model. Very little Argos branded delivery - anything for delivery is done via the same route as Amazon and the like - except Argos don’t compete price-wise in that field. Their USP is that you can look up their extensive catalogue online, make your selection and then book it for pick up within a very short time at the most conveniently (meaning closely) located store.

And for those of you keeping up - yes - a trip to Bell Green.

Is it to be wondered is there is any valid relationship between shop-floor area and increase in traffic in this model ?

It would seem that unfortunately there are no traffic mitigation measures being invested in or introduced at Bell Green by Sainsbury’s.

anon5422159
28 Apr '18

You mentioned Asda was coming to Bell Green. Out of interest, where did you find this out?

Beige
28 Apr '18

I read this as a quip based on the merger news.

anon51837532
28 Apr '18

It could be considered that this is perfectly reasonable view.

anon5422159
28 Apr '18

A fair postulation indeed, made with great insight.

It could be considered that the oversight carelessly made by myself was done so in a considerably unreasonable fashion.

It is to be uttered - Doh! :joy:

James1P
28 Apr '18

It was a mere quip im afraid. Apologies for the confusion. Sainsbury’s wouldn’t give up that spot, merger or no merger. It’s the no.1 taking store in the country right in the heartland, only 3rd to the largest taking Tesco store. Fun fact.

anon51837532
28 Apr '18

What does this mean ?

Does it relate to your statement made just before it ?

It could be seen that most people would be confused - is there an explanation for your intent ?

anon5422159
28 Apr '18

No worries :slight_smile:

Interesting stat on Sainsbury’s!

Sgc
29 Apr '18

At the Sainsbury’s in forest hill you can already collect Argos stuff so isn’t a huge change to the set up I would say. Yes will have to have stuff delivered but that has worked well in Forest Hill without massive inconvenience to the best of my knowledge. I have used that option a couple of times.

Wynell
29 Apr '18

I think the scale of operation will be bigger than the FH ‘shop’ which in my experience is intermittent and low key, given the puzzled looks and time taken to locate items.
If there are catalogue stations and payment kiosks it will add to the ‘traffic’ and will inevitably reduce footfall in FH and Sydenham and possibly Catford where Argos is always busy?

kat.standlake.point
29 Apr '18

I dont like it. The Sainsbury’s in Bell Green was my favourite shop and the first place to shop for literally everything. I hate Argos, poor quality goods, the last time I shopped in argos was 5-6 years ago and will not go back. Sainsbury’s is clearly downgrading. The reasonable question is why making that step? Maybe the business is not doing well at all by the look of it. The lovely shop turned into mess. (((

starman
29 Apr '18

Sainsburys own Argos

kat.standlake.point
29 Apr '18

They can own whatever they like but there is no need to destroy lovely Bell Green Sainsburys shop. :rage:

James1P
29 Apr '18

Hate is a strong word but I can understand your point of view, gone are the days of clunky catalogs and absolute crap products. Things have moved on a lot so maybe give the new Sydenham branch a go when it opens :grinning: supermarkets are over spaced vs where they were 4-5 years ago so it makes sense to bring other businesses under one roof. You also usually see a halo effect from the move with the supermarket sales boosted as result.

kat.standlake.point
29 Apr '18

We have an empty shop in Sydenham, why not to open there??? But, of course it is all about the profit, it is never enough, even it flows out of the ears. Shame though.

They will get one star from me on Google reviews and if it becomes messy, i will switch to Tesco.

oakr
29 Apr '18

Personally my first reaction is that I’d like an Argos at Bell Green. Parking is more difficult near the Catford branch which makes getting large items more difficult. Late opening times if as above would also be handy for me personally as I’d often need to collect past 8pm.

You’d expect it to be win win for Sainsburys and Argos sharing existing space.

Michael
29 Apr '18

Three words … Aldi, Lidl, Amazon

kat.standlake.point
29 Apr '18

Argos is right in the middle of home section, how can you pass that? I use this branch for almost everything i can buy for my household, not just food. Love their home section and clothing.

Just told my friend about Argos in Sainsbury’s, she said, ‘great,’ job center’ in the middle of the supermarket’ :joy: … it said it all.

Londondrz
29 Apr '18

There is already an Argos in the nearby Homebase. You wouldn’t know it unless you stumbled upon it.

kat.standlake.point
29 Apr '18

Surely with so much money ways to compete can be easily found. They have chosen the odd way, in my opinion.

I used to work in Lidl… If people actually knew how Aldi and Lidl operate, they will think twice to shop their. I never went back since I left that place. Fantastic people working there though. Becuse they operate with staff level 2-3 times less than usual supermarket operating levels, there are so many things that not done properly. I will be cautious to buy chill-chain food there.

RachaelDunlop
29 Apr '18

No there isn’t, not any more.

There are plenty of concessions in the Bell Green Sainsburys already and always have been, and they have been ever changing in the nearly 25 years I have been shopping there. I particular miss the Post Office that used to be where the cafe now is.

Londondrz
29 Apr '18

Really, that didn’t last long then :open_mouth:

Londondrz
29 Apr '18

We bought our cooker range and fridge there back in the day.

se23blue
29 Apr '18

That’s why there are no electrical retailers left in Forest Hill.

Daffodil
29 Apr '18

Yes there was an Argos and a Habitat concession in Homebase until it was bought by Australian group Wesfarmers a couple of years ago (who also own Bunnings stores). It was a shame as I liked having them all in one store. I read an article saying the takeover hasn’t gone well and Homebase is struggling and they are looking for new buyers.

Londondrz
29 Apr '18

TBF, that was in the Sainsburys in Bell Green not FH.

Michael
29 Apr '18

I seem to remember the only place in Forest Hill where you could buy a cooker was the LEB showroom, which i think is now Armstrong and Co. That was either some time ago or a figment of my imagination.

starman
30 Apr '18

Years ago I used to use Argos a lot. When I first moved into my first house I found myself in need of a load of household stuff. One catalogue, a quick call to Argos and within 24 hours everything was delivered to the front door. For years after that I made good use of the Buy Now Pay Later (over 3, 6 and 12 months) payment options to get decent household appliances.

To be fair they sell most main brands and were generally well priced. Now with many more options available on the internet I find them a bit more expensive and less relevant today. Though putting Argos outlets into Sainsbury’s (and Asda) sounds a bit of a genius move to me.

rbmartin
1 May '18

For furniture, I go to Ikea, white goods, John Lewis.

Argos will be useful for certain things, but they’re now heading into the area where the likes of Amazon are undercutting them.

RachaelDunlop
2 May '18

I’ve recently started using Argos again because they can often supply items to their click and collect shops for same day collection within hours. A recent example: I urgently needed a humidifier for someone who was sick. Ordered at lunchtime, picked up from FH Sainsburys at 4pm. I checked Amazon first and they couldn’t supply one with such a tight turnaround.

Argos’s model is no longer based on a shop front on a small warehouse but on smart logistics.

Londondrz
2 May '18

We have builders in from next Monday and they like a brew. £4.99 for a kettle from Argos. Simple. Easy to order and pick up. I think they still have their place in shopping.

Foresthillnick
2 May '18

I must give Argos the benefit and try them again.
I detested them back in the day - I got thrown out of one shop after waiting for an hour for something they didn’t have and then had a row in Catford when they kept insisting they had something in stock which they couldn’t produce. Never went in one again.

rbmartin
2 May '18

I went past the Argos in Croydon on Saturday and was way too big for what they provide.

What I still like about Argos is you can click and collect, sometimes it takes a little bit longer than usual to collect, but as Rachael mentions, you don’t have to go to Bell Green or Catford if you really need something if they deliver to Sainsbury’s in London Road.

anon30031319
4 May '18

@kat.standlake.point Looks like it will be against the back wall, along from the phone shop and at the back of what was the mens clothing section.

I saw the large opening in the middle of the store too, but seems to be being filled in now with the movement of other sections.

Guess it makes sense for it to be against the warehouse wall, in order for them to be able to access storage to service the front desk…

anon5422159
18 May '18

Also coming to Sainsbury: