Archived on 6/5/2022

Best breakfast in Forest Hill?

RachaelDunlop
7 Jul '16

I have to skip breakfast tomorrow to get blood tests done so will be treating myself to a slap up breakfast after. I normally go to the Archie Parker for eggs benedict. If you could have breakfast anywhere in FH, where would you go and what would you order?

fran
7 Jul '16

I love bubble and squeak with bacon at canvas and cream. Or not quite se23, the vegetarian full English at norris & knight on forest hill rd is delicious

Pauline
7 Jul '16

Go ask for my recent special (not on the menu) Crispy back bacon, avocado & tomatoe (salt on toms} absolutely delicious & add Stilton YUM!

Or Chicken, red onion & toms with salt (again not on the menu but sure they will deliver) on any bread is just delicious :slight_smile:

Edit from @TheArchieParker

Or Aga’s Cheese toastie is always a winner :slight_smile:

Another Edit: Fab bacon sarnies from @StDavid :slight_smile:

RachaelDunlop
8 Jul '16

I have visions of hoards of SE23.life users strolling into the @TheArchieParker and saying Pauline says to order whatever they like, regardless of the menu! :open_mouth:

anon5422159
9 Sep '17

@No41Coffee have a new menu and I’m enjoying their fry up:

Some interesting sounding Turkish options available too.

Time for a video review, @Adz?

Adz
12 Sep '17

That looks like a great plate to me, I’d say we have to visit @wineisallforme

wineisallforme
12 Sep '17

@Adz I’m in

Brett
13 Sep '17

Am afraid I do not agree re Canvas & Cream. YMMV.

Norris & Knight, however, most definitely agreed (full carnivore English in my case). It is a rare instance of a cafe serving a breakfast as good as I could make it at home and I know of nowhere else in the local area that does that. And the garden, if you are lucky enough to get a seat out there, is amazing.

Londondrz
13 Sep '17

Although it’s actually in Kirkdale the Jasmine Cafe gets my vote as a proper greasy spoon.

RobA
13 Sep '17

Aussie Eggs & black coffee at the Brown & Green cafe in Mayow Park (does that count as Forest Hill?)

maxrocks
13 Sep '17

St Davids for a Bacon sandwich

Fishingcat
8 Oct '17

A belated vote for the incredible spam muffin at St Davids! OMG.

Stimpy
11 Oct '17

Big Breakfast should be on here regardless of just being a greasy spoon. Good service, good food at a good price. Glad we have one like that alongside places like Canvas and such, especially for a little treat for just a fiver.

Londondrz
11 Oct '17

I agree. We were down in FH last weekend herding kids. Went to the BB at 8.15am on Sunday. Despite only opening at 9am we were welcomed in and they cooked us breakfast. Really good customer services and care.

wineisallforme
15 Dec '17

Since Aroma changed hands it’s gone downhill. Absolutely gutted.

Sausages now sub par, which for me is the nail in the coffin for any cafe. Can’t be having that.

I moved to Forest Hill a year ago and whenever someone came to visit from out of town I took them straight to Aroma. Not anymore.

Will
15 Dec '17

Another hands up for the Big Breakfast… Always such a friendly welcome, tasty (if not posh) food and great prices!

Hollow
15 Dec '17

Has anyone tried the one on Honor Oak Park High Street?

Adz
15 Dec '17

Yep, decent enough fry. Nothing spectacular but cheap and cheerful.

wineisallforme
12 Jan '18

The destruction of a forest hill institution begins. Always said that what Aroma was missing was double glazing and a new door

starman
12 Jan '18

I noticed it was closed this morning. Is this a permanent thing?

anon10646030
12 Jan '18

The closure or the double glazing?

wineisallforme
13 Jan '18

It’s being refurbished by the new owners I think. Bloody loved that cafe. It had a charm to it that it’ll lose now.

I’ve eaten in my fair share of greasy spoons up and down the UK, and that was one of my favourites. It had just the right amount of shabby lived in loveliness that you just can’t replicate

Anotherjohn
13 Jan '18

With a bit of luck, that typical white UPVC frame isn’t actually white and is a dark grey under a protective tape. Small consolation though.

anon5422159
4 Feb '18

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Lazy Chef Bar & Kitchen (formerly Aroma cafe)

anon30031319
4 Feb '18

Mmmm breakfast! I’m hungry just reading this. Will have to try a few of these out.