Archived on 6/5/2022

Best mobile network for the trains?

starman
8 Jun '17

I’m with Three. And I get terrible data service on Southern Train service from Forest Hill to London Bridge. It improves a bit past New Cross Gate but there are loads of areas with little or no data available.

Are you with another network and get good 4G coverage in Forest Hill and on the train? Or is this bad mobile service on the train line regardless of who you’re with?

Brett
8 Jun '17

The coverage with Vodaphone is crap around New Cross Gate too.

starman
8 Jun '17

I find Three is pretty dire for the stretch between FOH and NXG.

RachaelDunlop
8 Jun '17

I’m with o2. It’s fine on the line to LB apart from a small dead spot between New Cross Gate and Brockley.

anon5422159
8 Jun '17

I moved from EE to 3 a couple of weeks ago … because calls kept dropping in SE23 and data reception was patchy between Honor Oak and London Bridge.

Unfortunately 3 has the patchy data problem between HO and LB, but at least calls seem more stable in SE23 on 3 than EE.

Londondrz
8 Jun '17

EE was fine except for a black spot between HO and NXG.

starman
8 Jun '17

Hmm. So no clear winner.

RachaelDunlop
8 Jun '17

No, there is. Go with o2. Best coverage locally in general, and when I say there is a small blind spot, I mean for about 30 seconds.

comoed
8 Jun '17

I should add that giffgaff uses the o2 network if you fancy an alternative

Bolgerp
9 Jun '17

@starman Darling… I’m sure you can survive the 17 minutes it takes from FOH to LBG without data! Read a book or listen to music :slight_smile:

However, if you REALLY MUST have data access, I am with @RachaelDunlop. O2 has pretty good coverage. I never get drop outs. It does switch from 4G back to 3G between New Cross Gate and Brockley, though…

starman
9 Jun '17

!@Bolgerp sweetheart. I was looking at getting a new deal anyways. Best to consider this too.