Archived on 6/5/2022

Best place for coffee in the morning? (Before 9am)

seperationsunday
7 Dec '20

I’m WFH for the foreseeable future (as I’m sure many other people here are) and I’m keen to support the local cafes in Forest Hill as much as possible.

I’m finding it hard to find one that’s open before 8:30/9am other than Costa which I’d rather avoid! My go tos are usually the Moustache and Agas Little Deli but they open a bit later and I need my morning fix! I’m finding the opening hours on Google aren’t always accurate either.

Any suggestions in the Forest Hill/Kirkdale area? Thanks!

ForestHull
7 Dec '20

How about St David Coffee House - 8am to 2pm every day with an efficient one way system (enter via the basement, leave by the front door) :slight_smile:

Sgc
7 Dec '20

The Journey cafe on Kirkdale opens at 8.30 now we are out of lockdown again. So just on the cusp of earlier time as you mentioned.
I have found Instagram/twitter is usually most up to date for places as regulations constantly change (if places use social media of course).

Jen84
7 Dec '20

N41 on Brockley Rise is open from 7.30am most days, not sure if it’s a bit out of the way for you…

aestivus
7 Dec '20

I highly rate St David Coffee House - great coffee, lovely staff.

(The cinnamon donut muffins are also exceptional.)

Goonergal
7 Dec '20

Pretty sure The Teapot on London Road is open before 9am.

maxrocks
7 Dec '20

The Teapot Next door is Sainsburys is open and does really good coffee.
IMHO the coffee at StDavids is nowhere near as good since Browns of Brockley too over-its too milky somehow and doesn’t give me a caffeine kick at all.
I’d give the Teapot a try-I’ve actually become a bit of a convert to the coffees tbh.

ForestHull
8 Dec '20

No. 41 Coffee & Kitchen on Brockley Rise do a good flat white and are open from 7:30 I think. They also have the largest chocolate twists I’ve ever seen, if that’s your thing!

chalsey_lodger
8 Dec '20

Another vote for St David’s

ForestHull
10 Dec '20

The Espresso Cartel, around the corner from Catford Bridge (Catford side) is pretty good and open from 8am on weekdays too.