Archived on 6/5/2022

Best saturday night bars/pubs in SE23

Jai_Warya
28 May '17

Good day all,

I’m new to the area. And to the forum. What are some of the best places (preferably with music, preferably with a decent smattering of humans) to hang out on Saturday nights? I live in Forest Hill but am willing to travel to the far reaches of SE23 for a fun night out.

Thanks in advance.

anon5422159
28 May '17

Hi @Jai_Warya, welcome to the forum and to Forest Hill. Great posts so far :thumbsup:

There’s another topic (on a slightly different theme) that was starting to gather some info on local venues that do music:

Jai_Warya
28 May '17

Excellent. Thanks! :ok_hand:

Pauline
28 May '17

Welcome to FH & the forum :slight_smile:

Depends on what you like I guess - for music I would suggest The Honor Oak (see twitter feed @TheHonorOak_Pub) The Signal have some music events @ThePinkWalrus as well as @Sylvanpost @TheHillLoungeBar & probably more I’ve missed.

@dechips posts music events on here too, so check out the #events category on here & you’ll probably find more :slight_smile:

Chris
28 May '17

The Bird in Hand can be good. Cheap beer, a good range and an excellent karaoke night.

Pauline
28 May '17

Can’t resist posting this music vid on this thread - love ir & LMFAO

ETA I would love to be the one with the box on the head :rofl:

Jai_Warya
28 May '17

Tried The Bird in Hand, few too many TV screens for my liking, though no one else there seems to mind.

Foresthillnick
29 May '17

The Honor Oak has djs/music on a Saturday but can’t say I have been - a little on the trendy side for me.[quote=“Chris, post:5, topic:4702”]
The Bird in Hand can be good.
[/quote]

Only been in once and got out sharpish. Nice enough if you like loud, coked up punters but I am past all that! Reminded me of some of the rougher pubs that I grew up going to in Pompey.

Chris
29 May '17

Bit of a generalisation there. I drink there often enough with a few pals and none of us are “coked” up.

Foresthillnick
29 May '17

Yes indeed @Chris - just generalising and summarising the atmosphere when I was in there. As I said only been in once - a Friday night and it was full of loud, drunk, wide eyed, runny nosed punters with an unhealthy obsession with the toilets. Not everyone of course and I didn’t mean to include or offend you. On first impressions it was just not the sort of place I would spend a Saturday night with Mrs FHN - quite willing to have my mind changed though.

On thread though The Bricklayers Arms does music nights

Pauline
29 May '17

Just checked with my daughter thar does a few shifts at The Honor Oak - yes DJ’s Friday & Saturday, some music on Wednesday & possibly new open mike thing coming soon - I’ll post when she reveals :+1::+1:

ETA Jazz on Sunday’s

Pauline
29 May '17

I like a game of pool sometimes, and the Bird is the only place I know with a table in FH.

Haven’t been in since the refurb (only popped in on a couple of occasions when asked by the late Keith) but maybe we could arrange a tournament?