Archived on 6/5/2022

Big Cheeks Thai

SE23.life
29 Jun '19

Foresthillnick
30 Jun '19

Menu looks solid enough. All the obvious classics with a few items to spice things up.
Is this new management or just a makeover?

robin.orton
30 Jun '19

‘Big Cheeks’ suggests buttocks to me.

armadillo
30 Jun '19

A bit of both I think - there was this previous thread that mentioned a new ‘partnership’

starman
30 Jun '19

I’m sensing a Forest Hill theme when you also look at Lazy Peach logo down the road.

weepy
1 Jul '19

I’ve had the opportunity to sample the owners fud a couple of times and it is delicious so I hope the home cooking translates well. (I think it will).

BirdinHand
11 Jul '19

We went over the weekend and everything we sampled was tasty and authentic. Great new decor too. We wish them well.

hurljy
12 Jul '19

I’ve been here lots of times (and had their take away option as well). The food is consistently delicious and I’ve never had anything but great service form the lovely friendly staff. Am very much looking forward to going now that the renovations are all done and seeing what the new interior is like!

CHfigaro
12 Jul '19

Where would you recommend?

starman
12 Jul '19

I never dined in but I found their delivery food fairly standard. Neither great nor bad. But that sometimes is more indicative of the delivery process. Not all restaurants are great a packaging their food and delivering it. For those who remember the Dewanium, there was a New Dewanium in Camberwell (family fued). In restaurant the best Indian I’ve had before I found Babur. Delivery food? Terrible.

So I hope with a new menu and outlook they also take a close look at how they handle the delivery market. If they can’t… then I hope they don’t bother. Looking forward though to my first try.

LeeHC
12 Jul '19

Good luck to them! Found the food in there before to be fine but the decor was very tired and the service so-so- fingers crossed this is an upgrade!

Charlo
12 Jul '19

We have tried both the previous incarnation and big cheeks as delivery option. Sadly have to agree it’s a fairly average affair. I think SE area is lacking great Thai and Vietnamese offers. Any recommendations welcome!!

Foresthillnick
12 Jul '19

Matoom - Thai Bistro gets my vote for Thai but they don’t deliver as far as I know.
Vietnamese - I have yet to try Saigon Foods or Bite Mi but they look ok…

starman
12 Jul '19

What delivery platform does Big Cheeks use? There is no mention on their website.

JonF
12 Jul '19

It does deliver (lucky for me in far away Sydenham!)! Only through the website (rather than just eat, deliveroo etc):
Here we go - https://www.matoom.co.uk/order-online

Scroll down a little and press the link.

Enjoy :blush:

Foresthillnick
13 Jul '19

Ah great! Wish I had realised this earlier as I had a very under par delivery on Wednesday from Thia Garden

Lesley_Wilkins
13 Jul '19

Matoom are on Delivveroo - as my bank statement can confirm :grin: Depends on time of day but have had delivery in under 40 mins

maxrocks
13 Jul '19

Agree, Love Matoom.
Been to ‘Big Cheeks’ (hate the name!!! sorry makes me think of fat arses:laughing:)in its previous incarnation food was fine service was always pleasant.
but I think Matoom is?was superior

oakr
16 Jul '19

I was going to try them tonight through Just-eat but saw them still listed as Thai Orchard - would that be a fail if I ordered or do they still trade online as that does anyone know?

Mailsalee
23 Jul '19

Big Cheeks still trading as Thai Orchard on Just Eat for now but they are currently in the process of changing over the account. So the new name should be up and running shortly.

Joncocteau
24 Jul '19

Nice to see we are in the arse end of somewhere at least.

oakr
24 Jul '19

Great thank you that’s good to know.

jonfrewin
24 Jul '19

We went for my birthday dinner to Big Cheeks Thai tonight, and I would heartily recommend it. We chose items that were not your standard Thai fare, and everything was delicious. The grilled pork on skewers starter was excellent, and we also had an amazing noodle dish, with a topping of crispy noodles. My understanding is that the owner has published a cookbook, which is also available for purchase.