Archived on 6/5/2022

Bike Hangers (Secure Cycle Storage)

eljadu
23 Feb '18

Hello,

I have been in contact with Lewisham Council to recommend the introduction of bike hangers (secure cycle storage units) in Forest Hill, for example Cycle Hoop Bikehangars in use in Lambeth and other Boroughs (https://www.cyclehoop.rentals/bikehangar/) and H2Asguard cycle shelters in use in Islington.

The Council have responded to say that Lewisham Council is delivering bike hangers across the borough as stated in their 2017 Lewisham Cycling Strategy. They are running the bike hanger programme on a demand basis as they only have enough money to install approximately 30 bike hangers in the 2018/19 financial year across Lewisham. I understand that the Council has not decided which supplier of bike shelters they will be commissioning yet.

Lewisham residents need to fill in an expression of interest on their bike hanger landing page (https://www.lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/transport/cycling/Pages/Bike-storage-for-hire.aspx).

The Council will be delivering the hangers in 6 month phases with the first phase locations already identified based on demand. As of yet there apparently hasn’t been much demand from Forest Hill but the Council won’t be looking at the phase 2 locations until April 2018 so I am hoping that by posting on the SE23 forum that more people in the area will become aware of the programme and we can demonstrate increased interest to the Council.

Interested to get peoples views on the idea. If you’re keen to have bike hangers in the area then please do complete the form (link above). I was thinking that underutilised space in the station carpark in particular might be a prime site.

Thanks for reading (this is my first post!)

Liz

anon5422159
23 Feb '18

That’s brilliant news! We’ve discussed bike hangars before and there is clearly demand for it in the area.

Thanks for joining and providing this useful update :+1:

Lueverett
27 Feb '18

hello all, I work at www.cyclehoop.com (who supply the bikehangars you mentioned) and just wanted flag up that as mentioned on this page of the Lewisham Council website, the council are considering alternative types of on-street cycleparking shelters, so the council may not be planning to install our Bikehangars which you link to in your post. Competing products include the H2Asguard cycle shelters recently installed in Islington.

Hope this helps!

eljadu
27 Feb '18

Hi Lucy,

Thank you for the clarification - I have amended my original post to avoid confusion.

Thanks,

Liz

haldo89
1 Oct '18

Just moved here and very interested in this. Are there any updates?

Scully
6 Oct '18

Hi

Been requesting lockers to be fitted in HOP for years now. Got this update from the council this week. Lewisham is going in with Southwark in the procurement process apparently.

‘Unfortunately we are still waiting on LB Southwark to complete their procurement process which we are piggy backing on to. This is expected to be finished imminently. We anticipate that the likely installation date is November We apologise for the delay to this but unfortunately it is out of our hands. ‘

Scully
15 Feb '19

Most recent update on plans for bike hangars and response to request for one near Honor Oak Park station. If others are interested (hopefully near hop station :wink:) see link below. I have requested info on where hangars are being installed for this financial year and will update.

“I’m afraid there is nothing planned near there as part of 2018/19 financial year works. But we’ll be shortlisting next year’s programme soon I’d encourage you to apply on the council’s website. If any of your neighbours are interested ask them to apply too as the more applications a site has the higher it can go on the priority list.”

https://www.lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/transport/cycling/pages/bike-storage-for-hire.aspx

Dave
22 Aug '19

I see a bike hangar has been installed opposite the General Napier pub on Bovill Road. Good news, I think.