Archived on 6/5/2022

Blast from the past

Fagin
2 Aug '18

Just seen this on my fb feed and it’s brilliant imo.

starman
2 Aug '18

Just saw this on Twitter taking us back just a little bit further. Remarkable how vibrant and commercial that stretch of Stanstead Road between the South Circular s-bend and Brockley Rise once was. Now our main concern for this area is when the discount clothing store opens to replace Maplins.

:slightly_frowning_face:

DevonishForester
2 Aug '18

Starman, I can’t see anything in your post, just an empty frame.

Bolgerp
2 Aug '18

I can see it fine… it’s a link to a Twitter post

anon5422159
2 Aug '18

Starman’s post does work for me. Are you accessing this site through a corporate network? It could be that Twitter is blocked for you.

AndyS
2 Aug '18

“Always order Friary Beer” - when you want a night on the [Topps] Tiles, presumably.

Bolgerp
2 Aug '18

Ba-doom-tish.

Dave
2 Aug '18

Great photo. I think there was a massive pub (Swiss Cottage?) set slightly back from the road around where the flats / fire station are now as well.

That stretch ought to brighten up a bit when Elachi moves into the old Dewaniam premises. It’s very unloved, tho.

Bolgerp
2 Aug '18

Here’s an old photo of the Swiss Cottage… 93d793470dceeea84c67e53bfc606d8c

HOPcrossbun
2 Aug '18

How beautiful. Can’t believe they were allowed to knock this down. Would now be a real interesting feature to the road :frowning:

LeeHC
2 Aug '18

What an amazing building! Cant quite picture where it was though.

Andy
2 Aug '18

Thank goodness for progress.

Dave
2 Aug '18

The Swiss Cottage would have been on the corner of Wastdale Road and the South Circ - where there are flats now. Topps Tiles is unlovely, but apparently that building replaced another pub.

Fish
3 Aug '18

Am I allowed to link to the other site?

https://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=3143

anon5422159
3 Aug '18

No problem. This is the “blast from the past” topic after all :wink:

HOPcrossbun
3 Aug '18

Wow thansk for sharing the link - well that explains why such a beautiful building was allowed to be replaced :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::
“The Swiss Cottage was actually a Pub and was a listed building. It closed and the developers wanted to knock it down but were refused. It was mysteriously destroyed by a big fire one night.”

RobA
3 Aug '18

“The Swiss Cottage was actually a Pub and was a listed building. It closed and the developers wanted to knock it down but were refused. It was mysteriously destroyed by a big fire one night.”

Same thing happened to my grandparents old house (after they died and it was sold) - a developer wanted the spot for flats, council refused it, then it suddenly ‘went on fire’

Anotherjohn
3 Aug '18

Brings back memories…
Me and my mates used to play in there as The FU’s Band.