Archived on 6/5/2022

Book club at The Honor Oak Pub (Book choice = The Dry)

natalieh101
5 Feb '18

@book_club

Thanks again to those who came to the last one. I’ve had three book suggestions for the next one, links and poll below.

Suggest we give it till midweek and whichever book has the most votes is the one we’ll read. I need to confirm with the venue but likely to be same as last time (a little later to start as people requested).

The Bricks that Built the Houses, Kate Tempest - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26073155-the-bricks-that-built-the-houses

The Dry, Jane Harper - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27824826-the-dry?from_search=true

The girl who fell from the sky - Heidi Furrow - https://www.goodreads.com/search?utf8=✓&q=the+girl+who+fell+from+the+sky

Poll:

• The bricks that built the houses
  • The Dry
  • The girl who fell from the sky

0 voters

Thanks all!

Vika
5 Feb '18

I’d sent a suggestion to the previous thread on Friday I think, Maggie Nelson The Argonauts; perhaps it got lost? No worries if the poll can’t be updated.

natalieh101
5 Feb '18

Hi Vika - sorry - not sure how I missed your post! I’ll add it to the list for April!

Lovelyjojo
5 Feb '18

I wasn’t able to make the last one but will be at the next with bells on!

natalieh101
8 Feb '18

@book_club

Ok folks, I’ve closed the poll to give people time to get hold of and read the book. As it was pretty close, suggest we read The Dry at the next meetup on 7th March and then read The bricks that built the houses in April…

Thanks !

jcuthb1
8 Feb '18

Great, see you then

Sgc
12 Feb '18

Just picked up my copy of the Dry from book shop and woman was v positive about it. Said it was for a book club and she agreed there was plenty in it for discussion. Can’t wait to start reading it on commute home now.

anon5422159
12 Feb '18

@natalieh101 you could put an affiliate link to Amazon for the chosen book each month, and earn some commission on sales to compensate you for your efforts organising the club :slight_smile:

natalieh101
12 Feb '18

Ooh, I could… but then I’m not sure I can be bothered :joy:. I’ll check it out tho Chris!

natalieh101
22 Feb '18

@book_club Hi all - quick update to let you know the date has been put back a week to Wed 14 March @7:30pm (the pub couldn’t accommodate us on the 7th). Gives you an extra week to read the book :joy:

@anon5422159 - sorry chris, no idea how to amend the calendar date???

anon5422159
22 Feb '18

Don’t worry, I did it a moment ago :man_technologist:

If you need to do so again:

1. Tap to edit the first post:

2. Tap to change the date:

natalieh101
22 Feb '18

Cheers Chris!

Katharine_Biernacka
24 Feb '18

Count me in! :grin:

natalieh101
12 Mar '18

@book_club
Hi all, could you let me know if you’re likely to be coming on Wednesday? Thanks!

• Yes
  • No
  • Maybe

0 voters

Jan_Topliss
12 Mar '18

Hi Natalie,
We can’t make this weds but look forward to the next book and meeting.

Jan

Vika
12 Mar '18

Hi sorry can’t make it, husband’s birthday on weds. I’ll be there next month!

jcuthb1
13 Mar '18

Hi Natalie, I’m coming but won’t get there until nearer 8.30pm. Hoping to bring a pal (who doesn’t do Twitter) but who has the book. Best Jill

Elainne
13 Mar '18

Looking forward to second meeting - I’ll be there

Sgc
14 Mar '18

I finished the book within a week of title being chosen so shall have to remind myself of the story today!

Katharine_Biernacka
14 Mar '18

Hi Natalie,

I’ll be coming although I am not quite finished yet… :grimacing:

natalieh101
14 Mar '18

I only finished it at the weekend and I’ll need reminding of the story too :joy:

Elainne
14 Mar '18

Apologies Natalie, but I won’t make it after all as I have come down with a nasty virus and think it best I don’t spread it around

I loved the Dry – gripping from the beginning right through.

Hope it goes well tonight and see you next month

Elainne

PaulG
17 Mar '18

Do we have a day set for the next book group?

natalieh101
17 Mar '18

Hi Paul! Probably Wednesday 11 April but just waiting for them to confirm. I’ll put a new event up today…

PaulG
17 Mar '18

Thanks, Natalie

system
16 May '18

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.