Book club - first meeting - Weds 31st January, The Honor Oak

natalieh101
7 Jan '18

@book_club

Thanks for all the votes! Choice for our first meet up will be:

The Power, Naomi Alderman -

7pm Wednesday 31 January

To be held at the upstairs room at The Honor Oak pub

When we get a bit closer to the time, I’ll set up another poll to check who’s coming.

Hope to see some of you at the end of the month. Cheers, Natalie

Rachel_New
7 Jan '18

Sounds great but wondered if 7 pm seems rather early for ppl getting back from work?

Mary_Sky_Walker
7 Jan '18

Just downloaded The Power on my Kindle. Can’t wait to start reading during tomorrow’s commute

EllipticalEggs
7 Jan '18

I just saw this on Facebook, I got the book for Christmas! The race is on to actually get through it now! Can’t make it for 7, hope 8 isn’t too late to join in?

janelouise
8 Jan '18

Hi everyone - very very well done to @natalieh101 for making this happening, I know from experience that it’s not easy! I was just wondering how you were going to manage the night itself - there are 50 members/interested parties in the group and while obviously not everyone will attend, if there’s more than about 6-8 people it can be hard to hear people’s input etc. With e.g. 20 people, there would basically be 2-3 mini discussions going on instead of one larger one…

I was wondering if it might be worth going somewhere a bit less busy than the Sylvan Post, so that we have a chance of hearing everyone’s input? I don’t want to push too hard for the Honor Oak Pub as it’s much more convenient for me! But somewhere quieter?

Alternatively, if there’s a LOT of interest, and there’s a bunch of people who’d be up for doing it in Honor Oak rather than Forest Hill, then I’m sure they’d love to see us at The Clumsy Mole and there’d defo be space and not too much noise! We could all read the same book and meet on the same night…!

natalieh101
8 Jan '18

Suggest we wait until a few weeks before the first meeting and get people to RSVP so that there’s a better idea of numbers - and yes, might mean switching to another venue and/or having a few separate discussions. (I was a bit freaked out by the numbers :joy:).

Sure people can just drop by later on in the evening if they’re late home from work too…

natalieh101
8 Jan '18

Conscious that this post might be getting really annoying now, so last update for a while! The Honor Oak have kindly offered us use of their upstairs room, so have amended the location as such. Thanks again folks!

Elainne
9 Jan '18

Great! Thanks for organising this Natalie and look forward to it

Best
Elainne

natalieh101
23 Jan '18

@book_club

Ok all… quick poll to see how many of you are still up for it next week…

If you’re definitely going to make it, please reply ‘yes’ and if you’re not sure please reply as a ‘maybe’ just so that I can let the pub know how many of us to expect. Thanks!

• Yes
  • Maybe

0 voters

jcuthb1
23 Jan '18

Hi Natalie, I’m sorry I can’t make 31st as I’ve something I can’t get out of now that night. I’ll definitely make the next meet up - good luck with and hope you have a fun night!
Best
Jill

starman
23 Jan '18

I’ve not voted as its a no from me. Got given a ticket to Tosca. Very excited.

natalieh101
23 Jan '18

Next time!

Elainne
23 Jan '18

Yes for me :blush:

Rachel_New
24 Jan '18

Yes but can’t get there till 8. Thanks for organising!

Hari_Mandhar
24 Jan '18

Hello there. I’m afraid I won’t be able to come on 31st. This was in my phone diary but not in my paper diary and I double booked. So sorry. I really did want to come. I would definitely come next time if I can make the proposed date.
Hari

TomAngel
25 Jan '18

I want to come along and will do my best. Although I’ve not read the Power yet. I’ve been too caught up in Chris Cleaver’s Everyone Brave is Forgiven. It’s the best novel I’ve read in a long time.

I’ve also just sent the sequel to the Life Assistance Agency off to my publisher. so intend to read the Power.

Hopefully see you all next week.

Tom

Rachel_Fay
25 Jan '18

Yes please - halfway through the book: great choice!

Itypes
30 Jan '18

Hi there,

What time will it be at ? Also, is it definitely the Sylvan Post?

All the best
Ita

anon5422159
30 Jan '18

It’s 7pm in the Honor Oak Pub

natalieh101
30 Jan '18

@book_club

Hi all, just to confirm we’re still on for tomorrow at 7pm at the honor oak pub. We’ll be upstairs on the first floor - ask the bar staff if in doubt. See you there!

TomAngel
31 Jan '18

Can’t recall if I said or not, but I can;t make this one, but would love to make the next. Look forward to hearing which book it is.

Katie
31 Jan '18

I can’t make tonight unfortunately (and I have read the book!) but looking forward to the next meeting

Mary_Sky_Walker
31 Jan '18

Hiya, great book but unfortunately can’t make it tonight. Hopefully next one!

yasmin_c
31 Jan '18

Hi Natalie,

I somehow managed to miss the venue change! Sorry I won’t be able to make tonight but loved the book :slight_smile:

Would love an FH venue if there is a discussion to split.

Thanks for organising!

janelouise
31 Jan '18

Sorry Natalie but something has come up and I now can’t make it tonight - even though I managed to read the book! :disappointed: Please let us all know how it goes and what you decide to do next time!

Aysha
31 Jan '18

I’m still in, hope there are still a few people going? Will be there for 7pm!

anon5422159
31 Jan '18

I reckon you’ll have an ideal number of people (obviously not all of these will come, but many responded “yes”) :

natalieh101
31 Jan '18

I think so! I’ll be there just before 7!

Aysha
31 Jan '18

Perfect, see you soon!

Sgc
31 Jan '18

Well in the end I counted about 23/24 people so excellent turn out. Think it being January had a lot to do with it and people’s New Years resolutions (or book as pressie for Christmas).

anon5422159
31 Jan '18

Well done @natalieh101 for organising this! Did anyone get a group photo?

natalieh101
1 Feb '18

We didn’t think about that! Although some people did ask if someone from the forum could swing by the next one to ‘verify’ people?

natalieh101
1 Feb '18

@book_club
Thanks to all who came last night - for those who attended, please send me your book suggestions for the next one by Sunday and I’ll set up a new event and poll for next month. Cheers

anon5422159
1 Feb '18

I’ll keep an eye on the attendee list for your next meetup and if any of them are verified, I’ll set them up to be able to verify others. (I had actually done that with two people this time, but sounds like they weren’t able to make it to the event).

If anyone would like to get verified in the meantime, pop in to see @Pauline, in Sugar Mountain (Dartmouth Rd), or if you’re in Honor Oak, visit @No41Coffee on Brockley Rise, where the staff there will verify your profile. It’s free-of-charge and very easy (just add a profile pic and let them know your username).

anon5422159
1 Feb '18

FYI - I have added a “how-to” on setting up different types of poll. This method is good for choosing a date for the event.

Jan_Topliss
1 Feb '18

Hi Natalie,
What an interesting discussion and group of people at BC last night.
I’d like to put forward a book- ‘ the bricks that built the houses’ by Kate Tempest. I haven’t read it yet but others who have say it’s a poignant observation of London life. Might be interesting.
Thanks
Jan

starman
1 Feb '18

Congratulations. While I couldn’t come last night if I had it would’ve been my first. If I come to the next one what can I expect.

Forgetting the first rule of book club, what happens at book club? And can it happen with so many people?

GraceCat
1 Feb '18

Thanks so much Natalie for organising the book club, I thought it was a very interesting discussion, and a lovely chance to meet some neighbours. I am still thinking about my nomination for the next one - I’ll get it to you ASAP :slight_smile:

Aysha
3 Feb '18

Geat night and discussion! So many good things to read at the moment, I don’t know what to suggest first.

Good lists here… www.goodreads.com/book/popular_by_date/2018/January

Looking forward to the next one x

PaulG
3 Feb '18

I’ll nominate The Dry by Jane Harper. Winner of Sunday Times Crime Book of the Year 2017. A friend of mine said she was so gripped she tried to keep reading while cooking her evening meal.

Vika
3 Feb '18

Thank you very much for organising Nathalie! I’d like to nominate The Argonauts by Maggie Nelson.

Sgc
4 Feb '18

Hello, my nomination is ’ the girl who fell from the sky by 'Heidi Furrow. Main reason for nomination is I have the book at home and not yet read it. Did win the Bellwether prize for fiction. Published quite a few years ago. Note there is another book with same name by different author!
Copied below from Amazon
“A bizarre mystery surrounding a family tragedy forms the centrepiece of this atmospheric story of a mixed-race girl’s struggle for identity.
Orphaned and alone, young Rachel is taken under the wing of her strict African-American grandmother and moved to a mostly black community where her light brown skin, blue eyes, and astonishing beauty start to attract a troubling level of attention. As the terrible secrets begin to emerge, Rachel learns to swallow her grief and construct her own self-image in a world that wants to see her as either Black or White.
Inspired by the true story of a mother’s twisted love, The Girl Who Fell from the Sky is a lyrical and poignant journey into loss, trauma, and the kinship that eventually allows a young girl to face the truth, confront the demons she has buried, and finally achieve a sense of peace.”

system
5 Apr '18

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.