Archived on 6/5/2022

Born To Ride - One here for cyclists & aspiring cyclists & FREE!

Pauline
31 Mar '17

Brilliant FREE sessions here by @younglewishamproject :+1:

Foresthillnick
1 Apr '17

It is a lovely idea but as an adult, with no children, keen to learn more about servicing my own bikes I will have to borrow “a young person” from somewhere! :wink:

Londondrz
1 Apr '17

That could get you into a spot of bother :grin:

Foresthillnick
1 Apr '17

Yes people can be so unreasonable about that sort of thing

Londondrz
1 Apr '17

And yet, we try to give ours away and we get into bother. Just no pleasing some people :grin:

Peaceofcakeevents
2 Apr '17

May be of interest:

Southwark Cyclists organise a weekly Saturday easy-paced healthy ride for cyclists and as of yesterday (1st April, 2017), one of the regular departure points will be Dulwich Park. PM for the poster which I was unable to upload, but the details are as follows:

Southwark Cyclist’s Healthy Rides
Guided cycle rides on quiet roads or paths. Just turn up with a bike*, no booking required.
Rides starting/finishing in Dulwich Park 10am – 12 noon, Pavilion Café, SE21 7BQ
First Saturday every month i.e. next departures from Dulwich Park will be on: May 6th, June 3rd, July 1st, August 5th, Sept 2nd
Other rides as follows:
(10am-12 noon) 2nd Saturday, Canada Water Library
(10am-12 noon) 4th Saturday, Peckham Square (Peckham Library, Peckham Pulse)

Additional longer ‘’+Rides’’ on 3rd Saturdays, check web for locations

Riders must be over 16 or accompanied by an adult

For more information or to borrow a bike* contact: Bruce Lynn, 07729 279 945 Or see www.healthyrider.weebly.com for reports of the interesting rides we have completed recently.

Programme co-ordinated by Southwark Cyclists,
The local London Cycling Campaign Group,
www.southwarkcyclists.org
Supported by Southwark Council

MajaHilton
2 Apr '17

Thanks got info.

I would have really liked to take my girls on it but they have their other activities then. Oh dear they will have to start prioritising in life. :slightly_smiling_face:

Peaceofcakeevents
2 Apr '17

Aww, may be later you will get the chance to participate.

This is also from Southwark Cyclists and may be of interest:

Fed up with the trains? Take your bike instead — cheap and reliable
Starting again from 5th April, we will be running Bike Trains from Nunhead and Peckham Rye stations up to Blackfriars — taking in two parks, a traffic-calmed backstreet, a cyclists only bypass around the E&C and the lovely new segregated cycle lanes.
Our leader will be an experienced cyclist trained to do this sort of thing — backed up by volunteers keeping the riders safe at the back and sides.

DETAILS:

First one Wednesday April 5th and then weekly on Wednesdays until October 25th.
Despite the award we are still friendly, cheerful, relaxed and free. We are a bit earlier because a survey suggested that our customers wanted to get to work a bit earlier.

That means 7.45am from Nunhead station, 7.55am from Peckham Rye Station and 7.55am from Denmark Hill Station. The Peckham Rye and Denmark Hill lines join in Burgess Park which is why it’s OK that they start at the same time.

The starting point in Peckham is the bike stands behind McDonalds and at Denmark Hill from outside the cafe in Windsor Walk. Camberwell Grove and Windsor Walk have both been closed since we started so this route keeps getting better.

Our route takes us through two parks, up a traffic calmed back street, onto the on-pavement cycling lanes on the New Kent Road, around the Elephant and Castle by-pass and onto the still lovely but no longer so new segregation up St George’s Way and Blackfriars Road. All legal and all as safe as your mother would make it.

We get to Blackfriars at 8.30am and then a group goes north to Kings Cross and anyone who wants can be buddied wherever they want. Return rides arranged on request. For further details or to book your place text 07842 640 207 (me). Or just turn up.

A bit more information and a pretty picture is here: [southwarkcyclists.org.uk] and the map of the route is here: [www.google.com]

system
1 Jun '17

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.