Archived on 6/5/2022

Bovill Rd. Skatepark

Sebastian_Drayson
20 Aug '21

Hi. Has anyone else had the chance to take in the delights of the new skate park at the end of Bovill Rd?

It’s becoming quite the attraction and last night a new kicker was cast in the middle of the road.

While I’m totally onboard with the creative reuse of building waste and honing kickflips, it is quite the eye sore and somewhat dangerous for road users (this is a busy route for cyclists).

Does anyone know who at the council would be a good person to contact?

Stuartf
20 Aug '21

I’m thinking that skip would be a great half pipe

Suze
20 Aug '21

Oh wow they’ve made more blocks! I tripped over one on Tuesday or Wednesday, but looks like they’ve built more since then… You could report on Fix my street and alert the local councillors?

Troy_McClure
20 Aug '21

Cool, really good to see youngsters embracing the old “the streets are for everyone” mantra and not just car drivers and middle aged lycra- clad cyclists.

GotDeletedOnce
21 Aug '21

Let the kids skate. Better than being a yob.

Anotherjohn
21 Aug '21

If the streets are quiet enough for kids to play in, then that’s fantstic.

But there are enough ways of making portable rails and ramps - so that kind of mess and trip hazards are simply unnecessary and inconsiderate.

I lived off Bovill Road, in Agnew Road, in the 70s and 80s and although we were the urchins who used to kick a ball about, skate, cycle and box-cart around the streets we would never have contemplated doing anything like this.

chamonix
21 Aug '21

I mean they’re kids…. Not responsible adults. Just have a chat with them.

Sebastian_Drayson
21 Aug '21

John - thanks this is a much better post than my original. All for skating, absolutely no one is complaining about that.

Permanent lumps of concrete in what is quite a busy road (they are actually on Gabriel street) just seems dangerous? (and it is a total mess)

Anotherjohn
21 Aug '21

Genuine questions - because I don’t know.
How old are these kids?
Why wouldn’t they know better than to do this type of thing?

chamonix
22 Aug '21

My point is that the council may come and clean it up, but it won’t solve the problem. You could just explain to them that it’s dangerous and a bit unsociable. You could ask the local Bobby to intervene but that doesn’t really happen anymore.

Anotherjohn
22 Aug '21

When you said “they’re kids… Not responsible adults” I assumed you’d seen them - but maybe you haven’t?
So, even though I still don’t know how old they are, I can’t understand how anyone over the age of 5 wouldn’t know not do do this type of thing.
Doing a proper job of removing these ramps and cleaning away the cement residue isn’t a five minute job and I’m sure the council can do without having their very limited resources stretched any further than they are now just to deal with silly things like this.