Archived on 6/5/2022

Brockley Rise

hareandgoose
13 Jun '16

Hello,

We’ve fallen in love with se23 and have been trying to move into the area for a little while now. I think we may have found a property we love on the lower end of Brockley Rise (nearish Dalmain). The road is quite wide at that point and I presume it gets busy at rush hour? We’ve only seen it looking quite peaceful on early Saturday mornings so far. I don’t know the area well. Is traffic/congestion/noise a problem on that road? Is there anything else I should think about? I’d really appreciate any thoughts/advice from people who know the area well. Thanks, Jo

anon5422159
13 Jun '16

[removed by author]

hareandgoose
13 Jun '16

Hey, thank you!

Ah yes, we noticed that junction as we walked down from HOP station. It was pretty grim even at 10am. We really love the feel of the area though and it’s so nice to see lots of independent businesses around.

Brett
13 Jun '16

Brockley Rise/Stondon Park does get busy at rush hour - I encounter this on the school run. In practice, I tend to take the back routes where possible. As @anon5422159 says, round there the rat runs are well discouraged so there is plenty of scope for this.

Dave
13 Jun '16

You’ve made a good choice, @hareandgoose - I am not sure whether you’re looking at a house on one of the side streets or on Brockley Rise itself. Brockley Rise can be quite busy, particularly going west towards the South Circular. There’s a good map here which uses open source traffic volume and pollution data to show you how many vehicles pass on average.

The good news is that this corner of SE23, which has been a bit neglected of late, is improving with empty shops being filled and cafes opening - there’s a thread elsewhere on No 41 and the old “Angle Bar” on the corner is being worked on now.

hareandgoose
13 Jun '16

Ooh, thank you. That’s a useful link.

Yeah, we’re looking at a place that’s on Brockley Rise itself (although set back from the road a bit) and it seems nice enough to counter the ‘problems’ of living on a busy road, although I am slightly worried about noise issues. Might have to go back and look at it during rush hour.

It’s great to see new businesses springing up. I really like the look of No.41 too!

Londondrz
13 Jun '16

We live just off the South Circular and have very few noise issues, or, we are used to it.

thirstforwine
13 Jun '16

I don’t think that’s right - is it? I think it is the “Bubbles” mini-mart that is being transformed with the cream paint-job. Or is there other work on the old ‘Angle Bar’?

Dave
13 Jun '16

@thirstforwine - you’re quite right. I did hear (from Mark at the moped shop) that someone was going to take the old “Angle Bar” site on, though.

Baboonery
14 Jun '16

Looks like both are true - there’s been a lot of work done to the old Bubbles place, and it looks like there’s café style seating in place there (though as yet upturned). But I also noticed the shutter partly up at the Angle bar lately and noise coming from inside.

oakr
20 Jun '16

Hi Jo

I live on Brockley Rise. It is noisy, but I don’t notice it anymore really. We got double glazing a few years after moving in and that made a huge difference.

It does get busy during rush hour and you have quite a few double decker buses going down it (which you can view as a good or a bad thing - 122 takes you straight to Forest Hill pools!).

The location itself is great - you have the Jenner Practice doctors very near, the Honor Oak Pub, Dalmain School if you have (or will have) children and it’s easy to get everywhere. Blyhe Hill is not far for great views over London and the area has a very nice feel.

Good luck!

hareandgoose
20 Jun '16

Hi, Thank you! I’m really looking forward to relocating, although this impending referendum has (understandably I guess) paralysed most property transactions. Shall have to keep everything crossed.

Jo