Archived on 6/5/2022

BT fibre Internet outage? (Como Road)

Tuna
21 Apr '21

Last Monday 12th April around 1pm my bt fibre dropped. I have fibre to telegraph pole then to home on como Road.

Open reach confirmed issue not at my house on Thursday
Friday BT said application made to council as they need to divirt traffic to fix the issue.

I’m supposed to get another update today.

Is anyone else affected? I assume if they need to dig up the road there must be others with the outage. Just wondering does anyone else have any info / etas

ForestHull
21 Apr '21

If it’s any consolation, you should be eligible for automatic compensation of £8 per calendar day, starting two working days after the fault started. BT generally add this automatically, but worth checking.

The scheme is detailed here:

Mollyandme
13 May '21

Hello! Yes our fibre is down in Grierson Road and similar reason has been given. Has yours returned yet??

Tuna
13 May '21

No! Been down since 12th April. Told they need to dig up to increase the box size… No idea.

They told me 3 weeks ago the dig would be today (13 may) and then fibre to house the day after.

But my weekly customer service call on Friday there said they’d know more on Mon 17th and call me then. When I said I’ve been told for weeks it would be fixed on Fri 14th.

I’ve noticed recent work on como Road although not sure if that’s what originally cut me off or if that’s an attempted fix or a coinsidance.

I’m not sure if our issue is related as you are a bit away from me and I think if it was all of forest Hill / honor Oak there would be more people on this thread.

I’ll update you anyway when I hear more…

Mollyandme
13 May '21

I would of thought more people would be on here as well? Know of 4 people on our road and told it is a major outage in the forest hill area. We are also due an update on Monday- although I get a different answer Everytime…I am not holding out much hope.
Yes please to keeping updated. .thanks

ForestHull
13 May '21

So it’s been down a month?!? How are you surviving?

I’m in that area with FTTP which is still working fine - though mine is underground. Maybe it’s a really specific fault to Como Road or your pole? Also if it is an OpenReach fault, that would hit a few providers, not just BT…

Edit: Just been past the bottom of Como and there’s an Openreach Engineer setting up a tent…

Tuna
13 May '21

Thanks for that. Good to see they are doing something!
They sent a 4g mini hub which is just about fine for remoting from home for one user.

It seems to overheat / stop itself if you try to stream or download anything decent though. Been very painful!

leonk
14 May '21

No BT fibre here for about 3 weeks now, we’re on Grierson road.

We found that the mini hub always breaks when watching bbc. You get about 5 minutes and then the thing shuts down. Same happens when listening to bbc radio (although maybe after about 30 mins).

Seems to be a common problem:

Works ok on everything else.

Tuna
14 May '21

Yes. My mini hub gets very hot if you stream or download and just stops working for 5 mins.
I thought it was overheating and I even tried to put it on a baking tray with ice cubes under it as a bit of a heat sink. Which kept it cool but it still stopped

I think it has a built in stop if you download too much in a time frame it just stops but BT deny it.

There were a couple of open reach vans digging one end of como Road yesterday and at a cabinet on the other end. Which was the date the originally gave me back in April and they then said usually the cabling is done the day after the dig so I’m hopeful they sort me out today…

ForestHull
14 May '21

Does the mini-hub have a SIM card in it? If so you might be able to either try it in a different mobile hub/router or use a tethered mobile phone - assuming it’s not being limited at the network end.

I do hope BT don’t suggest that the mini-hub removes their need to provide automatic compensation.

Tuna
14 May '21

Well on the day they said it would be fixed it has been fixed. Working again now! But was out for 32 days in total
Hopefully rest of you sorted soon!

ForestHull
14 May '21

Great to hear!

I’d be interested to know if you get £256 credited to your account as automatic compensation. I think they calculate it after 15 days or so…

Leenorris
16 May '21

According to ofcom, the compensation begins two days after the fault and is £8.06 a day until the fault is fully fixed.

We are still waiting to be reconnected. Interestingly, ours began on 11th April.

StuartG
16 May '21

Have faith. I just got my daughter £336 rebate from Virgin without a quibble. That’s 42 days.

Perhaps one day it will persuade them to provide a reliable service and customer service fit for purpose.

ForestHull
17 May '21

In more complete madness, a colleague of mine recently got £730 from BT for a 5 month delay in getting their service moved from PlusNet FTTP to BT FTTP - something which should really have been simple and straightforward owing to the fact that PlusNet and BT are part of the same group… Apparently the Broadband was about 50 days late activating, and the digital voice was something like another 100-days on top of that. And BT didn’t quibble, just credited the account…

Beige
17 May '21

Would your colleague have been willing to pay 730 to avoid the delay?

ForestHull
17 May '21

Ha - I did ask similar. Apparently the old (slower) broadband kept running for the most part until switchover so it wasn’t a complete disaster. The telephone was apparently inconvenient, though they joked they’d prefer £5 a day compensation rather than paying for the line rental!

mthevilla
18 May '21

We’ve been down since the end of April (live on Elsinore Road). No sign of anything getting closer to being fixed as far as I can tell. Very infuriating, the mini hub completely falls over on video calls etc - not ideal when working from home!

Anybody had any luck getting back up and running?

leonk
18 May '21

Still down here on Grierson road since 14th April. No sign of anything changing, apparently we will get an update next week, but the people that call you from BT are just reading out whatever notes Openreach have left, which is often very minimal.

The first engineer that came round said that there was an issue all around Forest Hill with legacy cabling/equipment being used (couldn’t quite remember the full details). He said it would probably be over a month before it was fixed (and lo and behold he was right).

We signed up to BT Halo (as soon as our internet went down), which was an extra £4 a month. Was a bit reluctant to pay extra for their fault, but it means you get unlimited data on your BT phone (as part of their “Broadband backup” feature). Apparently we we still get the £8-a-day compensation, so we should be covered for the extra cost.

We’ve been tethering from our phones for work, which is as-quick as the fibre line was. We use the mini hub for other wifi devices like our Nest thermostat and speakers etc. Occasionally we use the mini hub to stream to our TV, but never ever BBC! Works fine with Netflix, Now tv, etc.

leonk
18 May '21

I did look into putting the sim card from the mini-hub into another router. But it would mean buying a “mifi router” (ie. one that could take a sim card), which I think are at least £60 or so.

leonk
18 May '21

Oh and couple of tips for the mini hub…

1. Take the battery out, and have it always plugged into the mains power via usb (this should help prevent it from over-heating).
  2. You can edit the wifi name and password, by logging into the control panel (which is on the back case cover). I did this to be the same as my BT homehub router (which was turned off). This allowed all my old devices to connect to it (without having to re-enter the network name and password).
Leenorris
18 May '21

We have put the bt supplied sim in an old phone. Set old phone to wifi hotspot mode. Connect devices.

It’s not perfect but it’s a lot more reliable than the bt jobbie.

And iplayer- nope, even when the settings are on standard definition.

Mollyandme
20 May '21

Hello! we are really struggling without it and the updates are very depressing. I have heard that it is now August for getting the fault fixed?! We have requested a copper line to be installed (need a new hub etc) to keep us running so might be worth you following that up as well?
Fingers crossed …!!

leonk
20 May '21

Oh really!? Did BT tell you August? And you’re on Grierson road?

BT called me yesterday, said something like
“The third party contractors have now finished their work, so the next stage is for openreach to install the new cables. We don’t know exactly when this will be, might not be until next week. We will call you back on Monday or Tuesday to update you”.

Mollyandme
20 May '21

Yes we are on Grierson Road as well and the August update was from BT!!! My next update is Tuesday as well - so we will see what they say …hopeful your update is for the whole street as that sounds more positive than mine!!

Leenorris
20 May '21

I got this message too, same as leonk

Leenorris
27 May '21

We were reconnected Monday. Hurray!

leonk
28 May '21

Yes we are too! Didn’t actually realise until an email came through this morning, to say our mini hub was being disconnected. I guess it’s been fixed since Monday and we never knew.

Leenorris
6 Jul '21

Has anyone been compensated for this yet? It’s been over the 30 day limit and ofqual says we should be compensated whilst the Internet was not fully working. We were certainly not getting the 70mb line that bt continued to bill us for during the outage.

leonk
6 Jul '21

No not yet, have had to chase up BT several times (you reminded me to do it again).
I just contacted them and apparently there is a refund of £322.40 being processed, which I should get in 24-48 hours.

Leenorris
12 Jul '21

I did email them last week and they have credited my account for £25? I am unsure they know what they are doing.
I’ll try ringing tomorrow as the compensation should be a lot more.

Leenorris
17 Jul '21

I spoke to bt by phone. Person said I should get compensation but all claims are now completed manually. I take “manually” as in you have to ring. Person said 24 to 48 hours but no more than 72.

No money in my account yet and no email confirmation, as informed by Person.

leonk
17 Jul '21

Yep it took mine over the 48 hours they initially said. But did come through in the end.

They initially just credited my BT account, so I had to ask them (again) to actually refund it to my bank account.

I used the online chat option to contact them, easier then calling in and going through the phone system (IMO anyway).

Leenorris
14 Sep '21

Our BT internet has been out again for the last 2 weeks, beginning September 1st.

This is rubbish!

Nomis46
15 Sep '21

We are on Woolstone Road and our BT internet has been down since the end of August. Apparently >90 properties have been affected. There is still no resolution in sight…

Troy_McClure
15 Sep '21

Whenever I see the title of this thread l can’t help thinking it should be renamed - BT fibre Internet outrage…