Archived on 6/5/2022

Builder / home renovation recommendations

gc_hq
17 Apr '17

Could anyone recommend a builder who has done them a good job for a fair price? I would like a wall knocked through from the front room to backroom, with associated electricity and plumbing issues solved… so far the options from more national sites have not been encouraging (and a bit dismissive of such a “small job.”)

Thank you!

Glenn

anon5422159
17 Apr '17

Richard May (RM Building) did a cracking job of our ground floor extension. He was friendly, efficient, and used good subcontractors.

If you’d like to pop round and see his work first-hand, do get in touch.

He’s very busy, but it’s worth getting in touch as he prefers to do local jobs.

http://rmbuilding.co.uk/

info@rmbuilding.co.uk

BMSE23
19 Apr '17

We knocked through a few months ago and used Tom Richardson, he’s a local guy and we were very happy with the work that he did. 07956027444. Good luck!

Pauline
19 Apr '17

I can second Tom, he’s done work for me in the past & I always recommend him. Him & his family are also friends.

gc_hq
24 Apr '17

Thanks Pauline, Chris and BM - I will report back on how I get on!

(apologies for the delay in replying - not ungrateful, just away!)

HannahM
24 May '17

Hi we are looking for recommendations for a builder/workman to dismantle an old built in cupboard and also remove old broken floor tiles and re-skim the concrete floor once that is done.

Thanks

anon5422159
24 May '17

Hi @HannahM. I have moved your post into the existing topic we have for builder recommendations. Hopefully you’ll find some useful info in here.

HannahM
24 May '17

Great thanks!

BingBong
24 May '17

Funds permitting, we have a possible job coming up which will involve replacing an old, glazed kitchen extension with Crittal (style) glass, replacing kitchen ceiling skylights, moving lights/ gas radiator, with some replastering and decorating to boot. Inevitably the sky is not the limit as far as the budget is concerned! Richard May sounds good as does Tom. Are there any other recommended people, as I’d like to get 3 quotes for the job, and find a team who understand our ideas and can make it happen…
Thanks guys and a good evening to you all.

applespider
11 Oct '17

I’m hoping to move my kitchen into my living room (although to an inside wall which might make it trickier) and take the opportunity (while there’s huge upheaval) to redo the wiring, boiler and heating and potentially even replace the bathroom.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for someone who could help advise and do all of it? I’m guessing that both Richard and Tom should be able to so will definitely contact them.

Queenie23
18 Oct '17

Can you please give me your builder’s number. Not sure how to PM! Thanks Sarah

appletree
19 Oct '17

Can I recommend DeMa Construction? They did a great job with our basement, working alongside dampproofers. I would use them again.

FaeryCatmother
27 Oct '17

I’ve recommended Atanas before specifically for bathroom installation. I’ve had his team back now to do a pile of jobs around the house, including fixing some of the dodgy aspects of the kitchen installation (done by a different company), painting, new skirting boards, new shelves, new lights and the like.

As with last time, his price was competitive and his crew are hard-working, polite and tidy. They get booked up pretty quickly, but as his team works 6 days a week they tend to be able to fit less substantial projects like mine in easily.

http://www.kitchenandbathroombuilderslondon.co.uk/index.php

Eims
7 Nov '17

Hi Clausy, unsure how to PM too - could you share Pat’s number? Do you know if he has a link to chectrade or one of those sites too?

Thanks!

KatM
14 Nov '18

Hi Chris, the link to checkatrade doesn’t appear to be working. Do you have any other contact details for Richard May? Many thanks

anon5422159
14 Nov '18

Hi @KatM - I have an email address: richardmaybuilding@gmail.com

info@rmbuilding.co.uk

Roachie
14 Nov '18

Hi I’m Helen from RM Building. We are not on Check-a-trade anymore but we do have a new website. The address is rmbuilding.co.uk if you would like to visit.

Thanks for passing on the the email Chris. We can still be reached at that address too.

Many thanks.

KatM
14 Nov '18

Thanks Chris and Helen, I will get in touch tomorrow!

Vilma
17 Feb '19

Dear Glenn,

We are looking for a builder to knock out kitchen wall and enlarge the space are you able to let me know did you have your building work done and who’s the builder that did work. What was your experience and are you able recommend them.

Thanks!
Vilma

Vilma
17 Feb '19

Dear BMSE23

We are looking to get a builder to knock out kitchen wall and also W.C. into the bathroom whilst still living in the property are able to recommend the builder you used and how was your experience and have you any photos of the before and after.

Thanks!
Vilma

BMSE23
17 Feb '19

Hi Vilma

I’m in the middle of having a new bathroom fitted at the moment and the guys I’m using are really good, they also do knock throughs, extensions etc. Will dig out their number and send to you tomorrow.

Ben

Vilma
17 Feb '19

Hi Ben,

Thank you very much for your speedy response. I would very much welcome and appreciate your recommendations we are also looking for a builder to offer any design ideas to knock through bathrooms. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you!

Vilma

BMSE23
18 Feb '19

Hi Vilma,

Mark from HFGA Developments. 07517465639

Good luck!
Ben

Vilma
18 Feb '19

Hi Ben

Thanks!

Very much appreciated.

Lovely day to you

Vilma

Vilma
9 Aug '19

Hi BingBong,

We are looking for a recommendation for a builder to provide us with a quote regarding our property renovation. Did you find anyone to carry out your building work or have you had any recommendations that you are able to share.
Would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Vilma
13 Aug '19

Hi classy,

We are currently looking for a builder to carry out some renovation work on our property. Are you able pm some more details about the builder that you used to carry out your building work, with his contact details. Would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks!

SeanandLucy
14 Sep '19

We are in the process of proceeding with a similar project your recommendation would be appreciated.

CJ
19 Oct '19

Hello! I just wondered how you got on with this and who you ended up using? I’ve had months of getting absolutely nowhere with builders :-/ Any recent recommendations would be wonderful! Thank you

Dixee
11 Nov '19

Hi everyone,

I have an issue with some damp re appearing in my spare room, not because the damp proofing has failed, but because there is an external wall meeting my flat which is damaged. Hence, it is absorbing water which then finds its way into my property. Cement is cracked and the wall needs to be treated etc.

Anyway, Chris kindly led me to this thread and I have emailed RM building. But does anyone else have a builder they can recommend to get a second quote?

Many thanks,

Dixee
12 Nov '19

Great, thank you. I assume he’s done work for you in the past?

Matthew_Benney
12 Nov '19

Yep, will PM you some pics.

liverbird2020
31 Aug '20

Hi there - any local builders available to come and give me a quote for work I need doing in the property we are buying in the area. Work involves opening up the living area, including JSW support beam, reconfiguring bedroom/bathroom. I would really appreciate if someone was available to come along. Plan would be to do the work later in the year/early next.

Marigold123
9 Jan '20

Any recommendations for a builder who has completed a side return?

Would also be very grateful for any advice / aprox budget required for side returns.

Thank you!

lauraharriott
11 Jan '20

Hi @Marigold123 I’m an Architect in the area and have worked with House of Blake contractors on residential refurbishments. They have a high quality standard of work and are highly experienced. If interested I can forward you their details and they could provide a quote for tender. Many thanks, Laura

Vilma
17 Feb '20

We too are looking for the same any recommendations would be gratefully received.

Many thanks!

lauraharriott
17 Feb '20

Hi Vilma,

No problem, this is the website of the contractor I work with: https://www.houseofblake.uk/
They do everything from total refurbishments to extensions of existing properties. They have a very high standard and quality of work.
If you’re interested message me directly and I can organise a site visit or discuss your project ambitions further.

Many thanks,

Laura

Vilma
2 Oct '20

Hi lauraharriott,

Do hope you are well. Thank you for your response very much appreciated.
Stay safe
Kind regards,

Vilma

DevonishForester
2 Oct '20

Their website says they carry out work in North London …

lauraharriott
2 Oct '20

Yes predominantly, but they undertake work throughout all areas of London

Swagger
2 Oct '20

I’ve sub-contracted brickwork to a company called Allspec Contractors. They don’t know I’m posting this and I have no vested interest in the company but as a tradesman I rate them and the way they conduct business. I’ve done two extensions for them and they were very strict on quality and they won’t tolerate general idiots. They’re expensive but in my opinion they’re worth it because quality of work is checked every day by the owner. I’d happily sub-contract to them again.

Allspec Contractors

Valerie
24 Oct '20

Hi Dixie, who did you end up using for the job and we’re you happy with the result? I have similar issue that needs addressing. It’s not a large scale job and so not attractive to many builders. My usual builder has not been able to to but it’s getting worse and worse and I’m concerned now. It really needs addressing.

Many thanks

Dixee
24 Oct '20

Hi Valerie,

It turned out the the damp was caused by condensation. The wall was very cold compared to the rest of the room, so water condensed and formed in the corner. I have since had the two external walls insulated by some local builders. Then they repainted the whole room. The problem seems to have been resolved and the room is much warmer now too.

I’d highly recommend the builders I used. They even sent a cleaner at the end of the week to mop the floors etc! They didn’t do any external work, so can’t reference for that, but I think they may be able to help you. Definitely worth contacting them and having a chat.

Valerie
24 Oct '20

Thank you, Dixie

Pea
28 Jan '21

Does anyone have any recent recommendations for builders doing side returns / extensions. This is for a friend locally. Thanks

Agatha
4 Feb '21

Hi Dixee,
I understand that the Michael Gardiner 07722526112 was recommended to you.
He is indeed a builder from hell!
Initially, he came across really friendly and helpful but he has a real sting in his tail.
Michael Gardiner carried out some work on my property that was below standard. He also created new problems. When I raised my concerns about the work with him, I was met with a barrage of abuse and threats. I subsequently hired a different builder to rectify Michael Gardiner’s work (if you can call it that!)

ForestHull
4 Feb '21

Note it’s best practice to check the profile of reviewers. Are they verified? If not, have they been active in the forum, in other areas and topics, before posting the review? A first time user who reviews a company may not be a local resident, but may represent the company or its competition. While this does not mean the review is not genuine, it does call into question the reliability of the recommendation.

Dixee
4 Feb '21

Hi Agatha,

I’m sorry to hear that. Thankfully, I didn’t employ him to do any work. At least you have now warned others here on the forum.

Matthew_Benney
30 Mar '21

Hello!

Does anyone have any newer up to date recommendations?

Or any more recent shout outs for any of the previously mentioned outfits?

On the hunt now for a bathroom renovation.

Thanks

Sarah23
30 Mar '21

Yes - Fantastic guy Robert Lasbury (R Lasbury and Associates) - he has just completed two bathrooms for us. Works very hard, covid aware and very tidy. Reasonable prices.

GillB
6 Apr '21

Our builder Michael Greczynski is brilliant. He did our bathroom last year & has just started on our kitchen. Very professional, reasonable & tidy.
His website is SE.23 bathrooms. 07912674343

divya_m
6 Apr '21

Atanas and team did our bathroom and kitchen. Highly recommend them.

Swagger
6 Apr '21

Give Rye Renovations a ring on 07903 813746. They don’t know I’m recommending their services but as a fellow tradesman I rate their work and how they do business. Ask for Steven.

Matthew_Benney
28 Jun '21

I’m happy to be able to give an up to date recommendation for Pat O’Neil of South London Construction LTD.

He and his guys were easy to deal with, very polite and tidy, competitively priced and I was happy with the work they did. It was a tricky bathroom repair. Removing the suite and two walls of tiles and render, damp proofing and then putting it all back together to match what was already there.

Cherryblossom
23 Oct '21

I am very happy to recommend Richard May. He just redid our bathroom and we are really happy with his work. The quality is excellent, he kept us updated throughout and his subcontractors also did high quality work.

Cherryblossom
23 Oct '21

Not the best photo, but we are really happy with our new bathroom