Archived on 6/5/2022

Bulk buy / packaging-free shopping

Beige
9 Apr '18

verging off topic, but I have often wondered how much better off the world would be if we had a limited number of ‘permanent’ containers in which all packaged food was sold and these containers were cleaned and re-used, as opposed to recycled.

I suspect the premium food producers would dislike losing a method of product differentiation, and there would be logistical implications, but seems like a good idea to (my naive) eye.

Pea
9 Apr '18

I’ve been thinking the exact same for a few months now. Great minds… but I agree the brands wouldn’t like it.

anon10646030
9 Apr '18

You might want to start here, first small steps …

starman
9 Apr '18

I dream of one of these here. Almost everything you’d ever want sold in bulk.

http://www.bulkbarn.ca/en/Home

divya_m
10 Apr '18

I tried Naked Larder last month and really liked the quality of the dry goods and intend to continue buying from them. Only issue is that the pick up is from Herne Hill, so if anyone else from FH is interested and wants to car-pool/uber-share on collection day, please let me know.

This is a list of other places in London where you can buy in bulk, including one in Crystal Palace (http://eco-boost.co/where-to-buy-bulk-in-london/). I’ve also heard that the Eco Caravan store in ED does refills of cleaning liquids.

With Naked Larder, Riverford veg boxes, and Milk & More milk bottles, I am hoping to make a significant dent in plastic use.

RachaelDunlop
10 Apr '18

This is really interesting - @moderators can we have new thread on the opportunities for bulk buying and plastic-free shopping?

anon30031319
10 Apr '18

Seems to have really clicked with a large number of people. Always nice to see something so many are passionate about.

Re generic packaging, it worked for cigarettes, but guess that is rather different to a Lasagne or coffee lol.
Would me nice to see a more minimalist approach to packaging all around through, and removal of the excess.

Thanks for those posts which have helped me understand what is already being done both locally and nationally.

Ari_Yoga
10 Apr '18

We use to buy from farmdrop. They deliver with with reduced packaging, they use biodegradable bags and carton boxes. Another option in FH is the farmers market that’s on Saturdays morning in the Horniman gardens.

Cara
10 Apr '18

I am currently looking at the viability of opening a store along these lines. Initial conversations with advisors started at the beginning of this year and have another meet up at the end of the month. There are alot of shops popping up around London and wider that seem to be thriving. Encouraged that there could be a market for it locally?

Here are some examples
This one local to Crystal Palace - https://www.facebook.com/TheStoreCupboard/
http://thezerowasteshop.co.uk
http://www.hetu.co.uk
https://www.beunpackaged.com

starman
10 Apr '18

I laud the growth of bulk buy shops in the UK, but I sincerely hope they do not become solely synonymous with only organic, vegan or GM-free living as appears to be the current direction. There is much scope for this but there is also a huge variety of products to suit all sorts of households with range of price points which could benefit from the bulk food revolution.

Like in Canada this can include sweets, cereals of all types, dried herbs and spices, drink crystals, biscuits, baking ingredients, soup mixes, coffee and tea as well as a range of cleaning and personal care products.

Besides eliminating a lot of packaging, bulk buying also doesn’t penalize you on price for the amount of product you need. The encouragement to buy more than you need is eliminated, thus often eliminating further food waste.

But my favourite thing about the bulk food experience in Canada? Spices. How many of us have a cupboard of spice bottles that will never be used again. Unless you’re a huge fan of Turkish food and cook it often, do you really need 75g of sumac? Same for south Asian food. I love cooking it but will never use150g of fenukgreek seeds? Bulk buying also means you can buy very little.

Anyways, bulk buying should be for everyone, not just those after a specific lifestyle.

RachaelDunlop
10 Apr '18

@starman - I was thinking exactly the same thing. This sort of buying can be of benefit to everyone and it would be shame if it is seen as niche and hispterish. I guess for people setting up these sorts of ventures, there is a balance to strike in finding a market that will really allow their venture to take off. Are the sorts of places you describe in Canada part of chains or larger ventures or local businesss? For smaller local businesses just starting out here where the culture of this sort of buying doesn’t exist, it makes sense to target a specific market first then expand.

I’d love to have a store like this locally. I plan my local car trips carefully to get everything in on a round trip and wouldn’t want to make a separate trip to Herne Hill or even CP.

divya_m
10 Apr '18

I just realised my sumac jar hasn’t been touched in 3 years – time to dig out that copy of Plenty!

starman
10 Apr '18

@RachaelDunlop - In Canada the Bulk Barn operates largely as a franchise with over 200 stores each stocking on average 4,000 products many of which are branded, or in some cases the rejects from branded goods. For instance, chocolate bars are often somewhat broken, but it’s pretty obvious they are Cadbury’s or Hershey’s. I guess that’s what large economies of scale can achieve.

I get of course that a small enterprise such as @Cara is proposing may be able to follow this type of model, especially as the upfront franchise fee in excess of GBP 400,000. They’re expensive though because a local Bulk Barn is a big proven money maker.

I don’t know if this retail model would work as well in the UK. But given the trend towards bulk buying I hope that one day we’ll see this North American style operation here.

I did wonder if their is a food hygiene issue that would limit this type of business. Or concerns about loose detergent being sold near loose flour.

Cara
10 Apr '18

Yes the shop has a lot of considerations on so many levels

Some Unpackaged items I currently use regularily

I pick up soap when passing Wellbeing health foods in Sydenham (unpackaged faith soaps, £1.55 each - natural, paraben and sls free)

Toilet Paper - we buy online from https://uk.whogivesacrap.org - 3 orders a year and we reuse some of the wrapping. They are not manufactured in the UK so are sea freighted from their factory so there is a carbon footprint to be considered if you choose this supplier.

Washing detergent - have been using Soap Nuts for the last year (really economical, we bought In bulk and it’s working out less than a £1 a month) though some friends who have tried them think they make thier clothes smell like vinegar so I’d suggest trying out before you invest in a large quantity - https://www.1millionwomen.com.au/blog/adding-soap-nuts-your-load-pros-and-cons/

Mouth wash - online via Geoorganics - glass Jar of tablets you dissolve in water - their large bottle should last us way ove a year.

starman
10 Apr '18

I’ve have a couple of friends on FB who have become converts to this. But I don’t really get it. Most toilet paper these days comes from sustainable forests as verified through 3rd party forest certification systems like the WWF endorsed Forest Stewardship Council. Furthermore what makes a toilet paper soft is the short fibers of hardwood like maple or oak. Long fibers from pine or eucalyptus make it strong which is why three-ply works so well. Those fibers are destroyed in recycling which is why recycled toilet paper is generally harsh on the tush.

So I can’t think Who Gives a Crap could produce a similar toilet paper to Andrex, for instance. Is it any good or is giving up 3-ply quilted comfort part and parcel of packaging reduction et al.

Enquiring bums need to know.

Sgc
10 Apr '18

Totally agree that bulk buying doesn’t have to mean huge quantities! This is precisely my issue when cooking, especially cooking for one. My friend moved to Dubai and I inheritated some rather funky spices (she is a fan of Ottolenghi). Now two years later she has moved back and I can hand back nearly all the spices as a tsp here or there really makes no impact on the level in the jar! (But can make a difference to taste of food). My other issue is storage. Living in a small flat in London I do have limited cupboard space and also don’t have a car so collection has to be easy for me. This is partly why I used hellofresh or similar for a while as delivered to my door and only got food needed, so didn’t have to throw stuff out as not used in time. Fruit and veg try to buy from fresh and fruity in Sydenham (as live that side). Nothing packaged so can just buy one or two potatoes rather than kilos and trying to find more potato recipes (as an example other fruit or veg applies with same restrictions).
Thanks @Cara for various other suggestions. I shall look into these options further. I have been using ‘ecoegg’ for laundry in last month. Supposedly should be good for 720 washes. Yes get a hard plastic egg but if lasts 3 years. Assuming can buy suitable refills in the future.
Rather thought provoking discussion, will certainly see what alternative suit me!

RachaelDunlop
10 Apr '18

Any supermarket shopping I do is done at the big Sainsburys in Bell Green where pretty much all fresh produce is available loose a well as packaged. So I almost never have to buy more than I need and have it wrapped in plastic. I was shocked, therefore, when I popped into the Sainsburys in Forest Hill to find so little loose produce available.

Cara
10 Apr '18

Found it much softer than others we had tried (first recycled paper my partner didn’t mind) and seemed to last longer and be thicker. Really liked that there is no plastic packaging and it’s a one off bulk order. I also liked the fact it’s made from waste rather than new wood but you make a good point also considering a number of recycled paper products contain BPA as they are made from mixed recycling. (It’s a mindfield when you start looking at all aspects!) There are alternative recycled products by uk produced suppliers in compostable wrapping so I plan to try alternatives and will also consider some others associated with your suggestions when I’ve used up my current supply. There is a growing popularity in using ‘family cloth’ but I’m not there yet!

divya_m
10 Apr '18

Another alternative is getting one of these electric bidet seats (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intelligent-UK-STANDARD-Energy-Saving-Technology-Eco-Friendly/dp/B06XGB85F6/ref=sr_1_6?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1523373693&sr=1-6&keywords=bidet+spray+seat+electric)

starman
10 Apr '18

Oh god. That brought bile up. No. NO. NEVER!

Cara
10 Apr '18

That’s a great idea - looks like its heated as well - sold!
Re the Egg - does it fragrance the wash?

wattsicle
10 Apr '18

I signed up to this scheme at a couple of months ago and so far very happy
https://www.localgreens.org.uk

I collect my veg bag from Chandos on a Thursday, it comes in a reusable bag (which I return the following week), different veg aren’t individually packed into separate bags. Veg is fresh and delicious and a good quantity of it (we get the smallest bag with potatoes for the 2 of us) and you’re not paying for veg to be flown thousands of miles.

wattsicle
10 Apr '18

Also, for anyone refilling for their cleaning products
https://www.ecover.com/store-locator/

Ari_Yoga
11 Apr '18

It was pretty much like that in the past. I remember the reusable coca-cola bottles and beer. I think it was the same with milk.
It’s possible to do but as you said the food producers may dislike the system. Time to be original again.