Archived on 6/5/2022

Calling all cyclists of SE23

anon64893700
26 May '16

UPDATED

:information_source: We have an opt-in category for Cycling discussions on SE23.life. To join, visit the Cycling group page and click “Join Group”

Also join our SE23.life Strava Group.

Just thought I would be nosey and ask who around here cycles, and more to the point, for what purpose.
I have loved cycling for years, but abandoned doing it properly many years ago. But some changes in my life style at the start of the year got me riding again. Now I can’t stop. However the thought of doing it to commute blows my mind, and I could not do that at all.

So who likes a casual ride, who commutes, and who out there dons lycra and really takes it seriously?
I would ask what people ride too, but that is a bit personal and for some its borderline a security risk.

SteveG85
27 May '16

I cycled to work for 5 or 6 years and absolutely loved it, great way to start the day. I have to confess that since moving here I’ve stopped though. A mixture of the cycle being a bit more complicated than my previous journey (a long straight road from Balham to London Bridge), there being a lot more hills and the commute by train from FH being about 100 times more pleasant than the Northern Line!

comoed
27 May '16

I cycle to work most days on my commuter bike, occasionally take the kids out in the weekend (trailer bike/bike seat) and very rarely take my #1 bike out for a ride for fun. Most of the time the serious bit is the middle part of a triathlon these days which is a shame because I did used to like getting out for long rides in the countryside. Sadly time and family no longer permits but instead we go to Mayow park and I can run while the little one gets up to speed.

So, to answer the question in a very round about way - I like it all and do it all. Except mountain biking, as aside from not having the right equipment any more there is a distinct lact of trails nearby.

anon64893700
27 May '16

Good to know I am not the only one who likes to ride then. Commuting is one thing I just can’t bring myself to do. Partly because of the mad rush of it all, and partly because it’s almost not worth riding the quick 6 miles to work. (bit too easy haha)
I don’t blame you choosing the train but don’t give up on the bike. Great exercise, and great fun at times.

anon64893700
27 May '16

Thanks for the reply @comoed Sounds like an all to familiar story for many.
Dare I ask what the #1 bike is?

Just been for a fitting on my #1 bike, that got expensive fast haha. Can’t wait to get the weather for another long ride. Today’s forecast is a bit too threatening for me.

Jon_Robinson
27 May '16

I need to start cycling to work again, but we’ve just moved offices so now it’s more like 10.5 miles than 9.5 miles, and the first bit is over Forest Hill/Honor Oak, or it’s an extra half mile to go up to the footbridge at Honor Oak, or I could cycle an extra mile on top of that to go via the Poole River Walk down to Greenwhich foot tunnel, then along the canal, but I’ve not done that yet, so don’t know the way.

Hopefully in a few weeks I’ll be part of a guinness record attempt for the biggest ‘bike bus’ - Bike Around The Borough in Hackney where school children all cycle nine miles around the borough - last year was about 900 people, we were just 8 short of the world record, this year looks like it’ll be nearer 1500 people!

anon64893700
28 May '16

Hey @Jon_Robinson Have you tried mapping a cycling route on Google Maps? Usually do throws up some good ideas ans as a bonus gives you the elevation of the ride too, so you know what to expect.

Fair play on that commute, it’s a fair old distance to go back and forth and work in between

The world record attempt sounds amazing, keep us informed on that one.

I have the London to Brighton in a few weeks, the the London Surrey 100 in July, looking forward to those.

Eventually went for a ride yesterday to get in some times on my favourite routes. Very happy that the rain that threatened never appeared.

anon5422159
28 May '16

Two new additions to the bike shed.

Bought them from Edwardes (Camberwell), which was a great recommendation from @anon64893700. Both are last year’s full-carbon Mekk Poggio 1.6, with entry level parts. Got them for £600 each with a few discounted extras. Can’t wait to take them for a spin.

SE23.life casual cycle club, anyone? Would be nice to get some regular evening rides in now the sun’s out till late.

anon64893700
28 May '16

Fantastic, really made up for you guys @anon5422159 @Liz_Hall . You have come away with great spec bikes for the money for sure. Sora isn’t the end of the world, missing a couple of speeds on my 105 but a fantastic solid start.
As for the frames for the money, Wowza you did really well there. I look forward to seeing them out and about, and some possible rides too.
If you ever fancy an afternoon or evening in Richmond Park let me know, one of my favourite safe places to ride. Local is fine with me though.
When you are ready for that spin, let me know :slight_smile:

Well done again.

anon64893700
28 May '16

You are getting as bad as me!

anon5422159
28 May '16

That would be great. Do you tend to drive there, or cycle through London?

Yeah, the gears and cranks (is that the expression?) are probably quite basic, but I guess it can all be easily upgraded

anon64893700
28 May '16

I usually drive over there. Not a great fan of the traffic out that way, up to Clapham is fine, past there gets a bit ropey for me. Plus means more energy for the riding once there. Scenery is stunning this time of year.

Low in the hierarchy of Shimano, but nothing to be sneezed at mate. But the base you have, being the frame, is ready for anything from Claris (entry) to Dura Ace (stupidly expensive)
Depending on how much use you get out of the bikes will determine what upgrades, if any, are worth it over time.

Now of course you both need to be on Strava if you are not already. From there we can create an SE23.life club :slight_smile:

anon5422159
9 Jun '16

2 posts were split to a new topic: SE23.life Strava Group for Cyclists

Liz_Hall
28 May '16

This all sounds great. I’ve joined the Strava group. Anyone that knows any good routes that end up with some tasty treats (cake!) at the end, let me know!
@anon64893700 Richmond sounds great. Can’t wait to get out on my new bike. Thanks for all of your help! :biking_man:t3:

anon64893700
28 May '16

My pleasure @Liz_Hall so happy it worked out well for you. And based on RRP you got a BOGOF . Love a bargain!

As for routes with treats, it is what you make it. Let me know how many miles you think you and Chris have in your legs and I can suggest something.

As for Richmond, there are a couple of lovely eateries to stop in on the way around, makes for a nice morning / afternoon of it.
And plenty of opportunity to go along the river too for more sweet treats.

comoed
29 May '16

Back in the day I used to enjoy riding down to Westerham (for cake) via Bromley and Knockholt, and a small part of the Pilgrims Way then back via Croydon. A couple of nice climbs and descents and about 65km so not so much as to kill you for the day. These days is more like a trip to Greenwich via waterlink way and Deptford along the cycle route 21. A little more sedate but fun for different reasons.

oh, and @anon64893700 : #1 bike is a specialized allez

anon64893700
29 May '16

Sounds like a nice little ride @comoed . I like heading out to Biggin Hill, Westerham etc at times. Nothing like a few hills to get the heart going and the legs working.
Aaah I have an Allez too (Allen to his friends lol)

Taoschno
30 May '16

I live in Honor Oak and am the coordinator of Lewisham Cyclists…the Lewisham section of the London Cycling Campaign. We are a pretty active group. Some of you may know us. Personally, I have always ridden a bike, never owned a car, never saw the point living in London. Always commuted to work, since the 70’s in fact, when I might pass maybe two or three other folk riding bikes on my journey. Then that was a journey from Clapham to Walthamstow, through the city and Hackney. Do that now and you are one of thousands! Also always ridden for fun and leisure (our ride this weekend was a 70 miler out to the Surrey Hills, one of our regular routes) and even as a job on occasion, and every holiday I pack up the bikes with camping kit and off I go. Love the freedom and the economy (a cheap holiday when you are hard up with kids, as I was once and helps ensure they grow up fit and healthy). Anyway, now I work on my bike as well, having trained as a cycle instructor. So, bikes are very much part of my life. If you don’t know Lewisham Cyclists, it’s worth checking the group out…we run rides, a drop in maintenance workshop, regular Dr Bikes. If you have a question about any kind of cycling, if we don’t know the answer ourselves, we will know someone who does.

anon64893700
30 May '16

Fantastic information, thank you for your input @Taoschno . Information well worth knowing for sure.

anon5422159
9 Jun '16

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: SE23.life Strava Group for Cyclists

fran
30 May '16

Does anyone have a bike shed in their front garden? Officially we’re supposed to get planning permission so I’m wondering if it’s easy to get or if people don’t bother?

Taoschno
31 May '16

Well, I have accepted that I’m never going to be as fit and fast as I was in my twenties! My short term goal is to ride as many of the roads in the Orkneys and Shetlands as I can in June (heading up that way on June 7th for a couple of weeks) and also, sometime this year, possibly at the end of my Orkney trip if I can manage to get across to the other side of the Scottish mainland to see if I can get up the Bealach na Ba, without walking one last time before I finally get too old. (Scotland has always been my favourite place for cycling). If I can do that this year, I’ll be happy.

Taoschno
31 May '16

I believe the people who did it in my road, didn’t bother…it’s a very small shed though, not full height. I think there is a height limit below which you can put something up without planning permission.

anon64893700
31 May '16

Sounds like a good plan to me there @Taoschno I wish you the best of luck with that. I’m hoping to get to Wales in the next month or two and get some miles in there. A personal favourite of mine.
In my 40’s now I am fitter than I have been for many years, and have to say the little gold trophies and medals on Strava really push me along.

Taoschno
31 May '16

If anyone fancies it, Lewisham Cyclists will be doing a short Afterworker ride tonight. (31st May) We leave at 6.30pm from the centre of Ladywell opposite Le Delice cafe. Then pootle about through local parks and sometimes down to the river, for about 10 miles or so, then finish at a pub somewhere. This week it will be the Rye on Peckham Rye…not quite in Lewisham, but nearly! Anyone is welcome to join us, either for the ride alone or the pub meet or both. It’s suitable for all ages, abilities. Even if there’s a hill, you can walk it if need be. I ride these on my singlespeed so if there is a steep hill I have to get off and walk myself!

anon64893700
31 May '16

Probably a little early for me tonight but I hope I can catch you all on another ride soon. :slight_smile: hope the weather cheers up for you a bit
Stay safe and warm.

Nomis46
31 May '16

Since moving to FH I (try to) cycle every day to Victoria. On the whole its an enjoyable cycle through Dulwich, Camberwell and Oval - although if you leave it too late the roads can get very busy! The best thing about FH is that you’re about 30 minutes from the city and 30 minutes from the countryside!

I also recently went on a ride with the Dulwich Paragons and can thoroughly recommend them as a very friendly bunch- they have a lot of members (including a growing contingent of women riders) and organise rides every weekend as well as some more serious rides throughout the week.

anon64893700
31 May '16

Great info there @Nomis46 I have been considering joining a club for a while now, but still thrive on solo rides. Still not out of the question though.
Indeed the SE23 location is great for a bit of anything you want. I do love a ride out towards Biggin Hill, Downe etc.

Jon_Robinson
1 Jun '16

Thanks, I haven’t cycled it for a while, before we moved offices, it was 9.5 miles. I used to have the official Hackney Cycle app on my phone. google one looks ok, might try it.

davidk
2 Jun '16

If you’re looking for a bit of company on your ride, or to get introduced to new and interesting routes, look up the Southwark/Lewisham cyclists bike train (southwarkcyclists.org.uk). It runs every Wednesday from Ladywell and Peckham Rye and takes a nice quiet route down to Blackfriars.

An excellent alternative to the usual packed Overground lines.

anon64893700
2 Jun '16

Thanks for that @davidk I shall look into that :slight_smile:

clausy
4 Jun '16

Joined the Strava group :slight_smile:
I cycle up to Canary Wharf every day. I used to go through the Greenwich tunnel although I got bored with the lifts and walking so now I go over one of the bridges although apparently you can cycle through the tunnel now - they have a traffic light system which detects pedestrians and asks you to walk if it’s busy. Can anyone confirm that?

Sometimes I go up through Brockley (to avoid Horniman - fixed gear) and up the Old Kent Road. My current favourite route is through Brixton and up to Westminster, then along the new cycle superhighway by the Thames. Sight seeing is so much more fun than the Overground.

anon64893700
4 Jun '16

Got to love the cycle super highways, at least when I’m riding, less so when I’m driving haha. Can’t have it both ways, but they are a great improvement imo.

Thanks for joining the Strava group too, I know @anon5422159 and @Liz_Hall will be riding more soon with their new bikes, I will be back in the saddle much more after next weekend, once my last planned running event is done.

How do you find a fixed around town? I know we have no major hills, but always wondered how it feels, the simplicity of it all.

And yes! I have to agree, when you have time to take in your surroundings while you ride, it’s a lovely place to ride and far prettier than the train. (weather permitting)

davidk
4 Jun '16

I regularly come back from my races at Lee Valley through the Greenwich tunnel. Late in the evening so it’s never busy with foot trafic and I’ve never seen the “no cycling” signs switched off. Still probably the quickest way home from that part of town, even with the walk!

anon64893700
4 Jun '16

Aaah Lea Valley, my new favourite place to ride :slight_smile: and do the Run Throughs.
Never thought of getting there that way, thanks for that.

PS before I sound all super fit, I have only ridden there twice, but should be going back soon and again to give the MTB a go with friends.

thirstforwine
4 Jun '16

Just don’t choose to cycle, or jog, through the Blackwall Tunnel :wink:

anon64893700
4 Jun '16

I saw this on Twitter earlier. Nutter!

anon64893700
5 Jun '16

Nice little morning blast today. Nice and early, deathly silent roads in town. Love it.
Was nice to be done before it got too warm.
Anyone else managed to get a ride in today.
Must say too, impressive numbers in the community Strava group too!

Nomis46
6 Jun '16

Maybe we can get a group ride organised sometime in the near future!

anon64893700
6 Jun '16

Sounds good to me @Nomis46 , one that suits a varying level of abilities maybe? Nothing too OTT for the first one, and move on from there depending who is up for what.

I have London to Brighton in a couple of weeks, and Pru 100 in July, but plenty of time to put some miles in when the chance arises.

TimLund
7 Jun '16

I’m also doing the Pru 100

Here’s a local training ride I worked out - more ascent than Box Hill!

anon64893700
7 Jun '16

That’s brilliant to know @TimLund Good luck to you with it. I too have been doing a bit of training with a friend out towards Portsmouth, will be doing an couple more hits on it before the big day.

I shall have to give your route a look. For local rides I usually head out towards Hayes and Biggin Hill

Townleygreen
7 Jun '16

I use Cyclestreets to plan my routes. It’s good, and if you couple it with a device to hold your phone to your handlebars, it makes it easy to follow a new route.

finches
9 Jun '16

Just joined SE23.life & catching up with chat. I am Angela one of the owners of Finches Cycles in Forest Hill & a keen cyclist - mainly off road & in Surrey Hills but would like to join in any local rides. I am also a member of the London Cycling Campaign which I believe is a great organisation & a lot of our customers find it helps build their confidence in cycling. If there is anything our business can do to improve cycling experiences in our local area we are always open to suggestions.

anon64893700
9 Jun '16

Hi Angela, welcome aboard and thank you so much for your support too. It is a very kind offer to assist our slowly growing cycling community. Finches is a great easy to find location, and would be brilliant to start and finish local rides from, as well as being a local hub of knowledge and assistance.

It would be great if a few of the other local cyclists can come together for a fun little ride around one weekend morning. Or whenever suits the masses.

Myself and @anon5422159 and a couple of others are hoping to get to Richmond Park on Friday evening to put a few miles in. But would certainly be great to have a bigger, organised group locally.

Let’s see what ideas we can come up with between us all :slight_smile:

Once again, thank you and welcome. (to the whole Finches team)

anon5422159
9 Jun '16

7 posts were split to a new topic: Casual Ride - Richmond, Friday 10th June 7:30pm

anon5422159
9 Jun '16

Update: We are now organising our cycling-specific topics into the new Cycling category, which is visible only to members of our Cyclist group

All those who expressed an interest in cycling have been added to this group. If you’re not in this group and would like to be added, reply here on this topic and one of us can add you to the group.

scottross
10 Jun '16

Hi all – just joined both forum and Strava group.

I used to commute in to the city by bike, but now that I’m self-employed I’ve lost that convenient excuse. Nowadays it’s mostly short trips and the occasional long-ish ride out to Surrey or Kent. I’m always keen for some extra motivation to get out there.

Apparently I’m doing the Human Race London Cycle Sportive in just over two weeks – I can’t remember my last >100km ride, so not sure what that will do to me. Anyone else signed up?

anon64893700
10 Jun '16

Hey @scottross and welcome to the forum and the group. I have to say sometimes it is tough to find the “reason” to saddle up, that is where Strava helps me out, pushing to stay in the numbers.

Good luck on the sportive. I have the London to Brighton next weekend, and the Pru London Surrey 100 a month later, both should be quite entertaining to say the least.

Feel free to pop up messages here if you ever fancy a ride. Im sure someone will be up for one.

anon5422159
10 Jun '16

Hi @scottross and welcome to SE23.life. I’ve added you to the Cyclist group, so you should be able to see the “Cycling” category in your category list, and the extra topics within this category (including details of our casual ride in Richmond park this evening, which you’re welcome to join).

finches
11 Jun '16

Thanks anon64893700
Looks like you had a time at Richmond park last night. Are you planning the same next Friday?

anon64893700
11 Jun '16

Hi @finches Yup a great time was had, and had we known how lovely the evening was going to be, we were saying maybe take a bite to each and drink next time for post ride. Sitting outside the closed cafe on the decking was wonderful and relaxing.

I have the London to Brighton next weekend, but all being well, hope to get back to Richmond Park on the Friday evening again. Hopefully the traffic won’t be as bad.

So if you or anyone cares to join me (weather permitting) it would be great. I might even slow down a little and just enjoy myself for once.

Coming @anon5422159 @Liz_Hall?

finches
11 Jun '16

I’ve just being telling a customer about the cycle group.
She was trying a Scott Hybrid & hasn’t cycled much in London so I think the group would be ideal.
Good luck in the London to Brighton next week.

anon64893700
11 Jun '16

That’s fantastic, thanks for that @finches Hope she finds her way to us, and joins the Strava group too. I am always happy to go for local rides with people wanting to build a little confidence on the streets. It took me a while too.

Looking forward to the London to Brighton, nice warm up for the Pru 100 the month after haha.

Andy
21 Jun '16

Hello SE23!

In previous years, I’ve been a very keen cyclist, but Strava shames me by stating that I’ve averaged just two rides per week in 2016. It would be great if I could join the Cyclist Group :wink: <- serious wink and get you know you more and also get more rides under my belt.

anon5422159
21 Jun '16

You’re in, @Andy - welcome onboard!

anon64893700
21 Jun '16

Hey @Andy 2 rides a week is still 33% (inaccurate maths) which is a lot more than some, so kudos right there.
I won’t ride again til Thursday now, so that’s a long time between rides too.
Look forward to you being in on the group, and maybe joining us for some rides too.

Not sure when the next one is planned yet.

Andy
21 Jun '16

Thanks, anon64893700.

I’m heading to France with Family for ten days this week, so will try and get a few long rides in then.

Well done on London to Brighton :+1:

anon64893700
21 Jun '16

Oooh sounds good to me mate. I am off to Spain soon myself and was sorely tempted to pack up and take my spare bike. Up in the mountains where I am staying is beautiful and would put some fun trails on my heatmap for Strava too. Maybe I will save the trouble and just borrow one.

And thanks on L2B, I shall be blogging about it soon. lol

FermorSimon
23 Jun '16

Replying to get access to the cycling category. My daily commute to the Isle of Dogs will be changing to Camden this autumn so trying to limber up for double the journey!

anon5422159
23 Jun '16

Hi @FermorSimon , you should now see “Cycling” in your category list, and cycling topics on your homepage. Thanks for joining, and look forward to seeing you on one of our group rides if you’re up for it :slight_smile:

anon64893700
24 Jun '16

I have to say… Wow!
Fantastic to see so many people cycling for various purposes in the area. Would never have believed such a small but rapidly growing community would have so many cyclists who are willing to engage in conversation about it. Let alone offer mentoring, escorting and company like this. Absolutely gobsmacked. Well done and thank you all.

PS, don’t forget to join the SE23 Life Strava group if you use Strava.

StuartG
17 Jul '16

Replying to get access and to outrageously plug The Anerley which, despite its name now rides out to Kent, Surrey & Sussex from Purley Oaks. Trains direct from FH missing out the ugliest bits of Sarf Lundun or join me if you want to ride down to the start point. For lazy/chatty/cake’n’ale cyclists only. Website https://anerleybc.org.

system
17 Jul '16

You should see the cycling category now. Cheers for signing up.

StuartG
17 Jul '16

Thank you but where do I look?

StuartG
17 Jul '16

Ah got it. The menu system on Android wasn’t that intuitive.

TimLund
20 Jul '16

A former work colleague who’s also a member of Penge CC suggested a training ride today, so I’ve just done 83 miles, mainly along the Pru 100 course, including Richmond Park, Newlands Corner, Leith Hill and Box Hill, averaging 16.1 mph. Two weeks ago I did 76.7 miles, with fewer hills, with the weather not so warm and on my own at 15 mph.

I’m feeling fairly shattered!

Foresthillnick
21 Jul '16

I’ve been cycling in London for years and still ride to work and pop out for the occasional longer jaunt. We had a works outing round the Isle of Wight a coupleo fo weeks back but mostly I poodle around SE London and take in a few hills (slowly!)

Just wanted to say hello for now but great to see so many locals riding and talking about cycling.

system
21 Jul '16

Hi @Foresthillnick and welcome to the forum :slight_smile: I’ve opted you into the category, so you’ll see all our Cycling topics.

Foresthillnick
21 Jul '16

I did Leith Hill last year and it is a bit of a ride. There was another hill directly after it - can’t recall the name but I did the unforgivable and got off and pushed…

TimLund
21 Jul '16

Box Hill? With the smooth tarmac, it’s nothing like as tough as Leith Hill!

TimLund
21 Jul '16

I should have deferred retirement!

Foresthillnick
22 Jul '16

It was White Down Hill - had to look it up!

armadillo
3 Aug '16

Hello, can I get an opt in for the cycling category pls?

Now I’ve finally splashed out on a flat bar roadie and am getting myself prepped for the regular commute, I’m sure i’ll be looking for further advice on gear, routes and how to generaly stay out of A&E.

Thanks!

system
3 Aug '16

You’re in, @armadillo.

TimLund
4 Aug '16

Debating whether it’s worth paying £24.95 for the digital version of this.

BTW, the finish time is relevant for my daughter only, since I stopped for her to catch up, and we went round together. Also lots of hold ups for the accident, but a good day all the same!

MajaHilton
23 Aug '16

Hi All.
I have finally got a bike and did couple of commutes to work in the last seven days. Although a very short ride to West Norwood there is always a hill in between and it feels like a good workout? I have not decided which is easier a shorter but steeper hill or just longer hill.

In any case please add me to Cycling group. I will require a lot of advice.

anon5422159
23 Aug '16

You’re in @MajaHilton - hope you find what you’re looking for

anon64893700
23 Aug '16

Congrats on taking the step @MajaHilton
Shorter and steeper hill is going to get the blood pumping, longer steady hill better on the joints and longer time with raised heart rate is a bonus.

Look forward to see some of the questions in the group. Plenty of friendly people happy to help.

Stephen
1 Sep '16

Replying to get access to the Cyclists group; can someone add me please? Daily cyclist.

anon5422159
1 Sep '16

I’ve added you, @Stephen

TimLund
12 Sep '16

Anyone else ever done a time trial?

I did one for the first time yesterday - got round this circuit at an officially measured average speed of 19.70 mph

anon64893700
12 Sep '16

Oooh looks fun and interesting. I shall investigate.
Looking to do a ride in November in Biggin Hill. https://www.evanscycles.com/evans-cycles-biggin-hill-road-sportive-entry-6th-november-2016-EV264240

But time trial, I look forward to trying one.

Nomis46
12 Sep '16

I was tempted to give it a go yesterday but I’ll have to wait until next year now…

Foresthillnick
12 Sep '16

Open roads or closed? Good avg time there Tim.

TimLund
12 Sep '16

Open, but not that busy, and all the turns were left turns. I only had to slow down for traffic once.

anon64893700
12 Sep '16

SE23 Cyclists challenge? lol

Andy
12 Sep '16

We could probably set up a SE23.life Strava hill climb segment

anon64893700
12 Sep '16

Oooh sounds like hard work to me lol
I haven’t done much elevation this year.

Stephen
14 Sep '16

A few, some time back, though I never really fancied getting into the scene as the cost of kit needed to be competitive was extortionate and most events are held on dual carriageways to chase fast times so seemed more dangerous than it needed to be so I stuck to road/crit racing which is already risky enough.

Racing tomorrow night (Thursday 15th September) with my company’s team in the RBC V Series at Canary Wharf, ostensibly raising money for Bloodwise (formerly Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research). If anyone’s down that end of town it’s worth a watch.

TimLund
15 Sep '16

The vibe of the Penge CC TT is very much about trying to do better than your last time, and I think everyone in it was from the club, so it wasn’t competitive like that.

anon5422159
25 Sep '16

7 posts were split to a new topic: Cycling / Walking Masterplan

anon5422159
25 Sep '16

A post was merged into an existing topic: Cycling / Walking Masterplan

TimLund
10 Oct '16

Kudos to @anon64893700 belting round Richmond Park yesterday. My cycling day was somewhat inglorious. Having entered what claims to be the world’s oldest cycle race, the Catford (Cycling Club) Hill Climb, run continuously with the exception of war years since 1886, I came last.

I suspect that it was mainly just age, and that for this sort of event, which is (ideally) a two minute sprint up hill, it’s maximum heart rate which matters, and thanks to this highly significant relationship

included in this longitudinal study resulted in the generation of a univariate prediction model: HRmax = 207 - 0.7 x age. Model parameters were highly statistically significant (P < 0.001).

Longitudinal modeling of the relationship between age and maximal heart rate

Maybe @anon64893700, who’s about the same sort of age, could join me doing this next year?

On a happier note, ParkRun results get split by five year age groups, and 5k is more of an endurance event.

anon64893700
10 Oct '16

To be honest it was a pretty lousy outcome for the day, not what the aim was at all. But thanks anyway.
Way off my pace, and fitness is way down.
No idea what the test thing is all about. I have plenty of data for me to chew over for a long time yet.
My HR is pretty consistent, and resting is nice and settled. Even during my FTP test on Saturday it was rock solid.

TimLund
10 Oct '16

How does this work? I did a ramp test at Cadence as part of the training for the Pru 100, from which I have a Max HR, and then some calculations to determine various zones.

When I did the Dulwich 5k, my heart rate was absolutely consistent, at a fairly high level relative to the max, so I doubt I’d have had anything in me for a sprint finish. Didn’t feel that way either.

anon64893700
10 Oct '16

Pretty much all it is, setting up training zones for Strava and Connect. Power meter, cadence sensor, speed sensor a different HR sensor all feed the score.

charmie258
5 Nov '16

Hello neighbours! A friend offered me her bike as a gift before she goes back home. It’s an old bike so no gears. I am not that tall so 155cm and don’t know if the bike fits me anyway. Plus not experienced bike user.
Questions:

1. Any good bike shop nearby to go and check my bike? Flat tyres, bike cick stand etc.
  2. Do you think it makes sense to repair it? Can I use a bike without gears in Forest Hill? What kind of distances can I take with this bike?
  3. Does it worth it to put gears on or too much hassle and money?
  4. Any idea how to get experienced in the road? Should I take lessons?

Ok enough with my questions! :slight_smile: Waiting for your answers!! :slight_smile: Thank youuuu!!

Foresthillnick
6 Nov '16

Hi

Plenty of decent bike shops.

Finches in Perry Vale
Comptons in Catford
Viadas in Honor Oak
Rat Race in Nunhead

I’d try Finches first! They are on here - lurking somewhere!

It would make sens to get a service on it - Finches do a basic one to check the brakes… However if the wheels aren’t true or the bottom bracket has gone then you may need to consider your options. Take it along and Finches woill offer you decent advice (as will the others I’m sure)
As to have far you can ride it then that depends on your fitness - there are quite a few hills locally and while you can avoid some there are times when you need to go uphill and gears are great for that. Plenty of riders out there that have no gears - in fact quite the trend these days but they are generally experienced. However if you take it slow and don’t mind stopping the world is your oyster!
Putting gears on a bike can be difficult - it depends if the bike is equipped with the required holes and things. It may not be worth doing but it depends on the bike - again Finches can have a look and let you know.
Lewisham off free cycle training for adults. There are also informal group ride organised though Lewisham Cyclists

So get down to Finches and get the bike looked at. Then think about your options. Cycling in London is a fabulous thing BUT if you are inexperienced it can be dangerous and intimidating. Once you have masted the bike handling then you need to master the road skills. Then you can have fun…

AndyS
6 Nov '16

But don’t, for God’s sake, ride a bike with no gears on somewhere like the South Circular unless you are fit and experienced. I’ve seen plenty of cyclists going up even a gentle incline either with no gears or in the wrong gear, who then lose momentum and balance and start wobbling about, putting themselves in serious danger of veering straight into the traffic coming up from behind.

plasticniki
7 Nov '16

Hiya!

New SE23.life member here. Been cycling to work and back for a year now (SE23 to the city) and ride with Penge CC at the weekends. It’s changed my life. Can someone add me to the cycling group?

RachaelDunlop
7 Nov '16

I think you’ve just opted yourself in by replying here.

oakr
7 Nov '16

I can recommend Vaidas in HOP - always been good when I have used them. Comptons were good when we went in once, did not get anything in the end but they were friendly and knowledgeable. Not tried the other 2.

Taoschno
8 Nov '16

I’m the coordinator of Lewisham Cyclists and we run a drop in maintenance workshop several times a month, one of those times is the second Thursday of the month at 124 Kilmorie Rd SE23 2SR (Young Lewisham Project) So, if you are free between 6.30 pm and 8.30pm this coming Thursday, bring it down to us and we’ll help you check it out (there’s always at least one qualified mechanic there).
I ride a singlespeed myself around town. Depending on the size of the one gear you do have, it can be fine, and much easier to maintain. We can chat about that too. Fitting gears might be possible, but would entail quite a few more parts. We can look at the bike and talk you through that too. If you can’t make Thursday, we have other sessions…check our calendar here](http://lewishamcyclists.co.uk/calendar-of-events/)

anon5422159
9 Nov '16

I’ve just added you to the group. Welcome!

plasticniki
9 Nov '16

Hello!

I’m planning on popping along tomorrow – mainly to see if you have the tools (ie the right freewheel remover) to remove the 16t freewheel currently on my singlespeed and replace it with a 18t one (I already have the freewheel).

In any case I live round the corner and have been meaning to pop along for months.

:slight_smile:

Londondrz
9 Nov '16

Any chance of a free light give away now winter is apon us? Far too many people riding in the dark and rain with no lights.

Taoschno
9 Nov '16

Do you know what kind of freewheel it is? If not can you take a picture of it and send it to me.

Best Wishes, Jane

plasticniki
9 Nov '16

This is the freewheel I want to replace it with:

Does that help? Unsure whether or not I need the BMX / single speed remover or the “compact” (flip flop) remover here: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/cassette-and-freewheel-removal-and-installation#article-section-2 (though it is on a flip flop hub, so…)

Thanks!

oakr
9 Nov '16

Hi guys - am I added to the cycling group?

Thanks

Al

anon5422159
10 Nov '16

You are now, @oakr

oakr
10 Nov '16

Great thanks Chris

Taoschno
10 Nov '16

It’s the freewheel that’s already on there that will need a specific remover. We have a selection so just hoping we have the right one. Getting a freewheel on is the easy part. You just screw it on and ride! Getting it off is the hard part, depending on how long it’s been there. They tend to ride themselves into the thread. We’ll do our best. We have a vice so can use that to help.

Best Wishes, Jane

plasticniki
10 Nov '16

Ah, I see!

I only live round the corner, so if you don’t have the right tool it doesn’t matter.

It’s only been on since I bought the bike at the beginning of October but I’ve done about 500 miles in that time so hopefully it won’t be too difficult to remove.

TimLund
10 Nov '16

Just thought I’d flag up this one, from leading tax barrister and blogger, Jolyon Maugham, QC.

[quote]Yesterday, alongside Chris Boardman and British Cycling, I launched three proposed tax reliefs, drafted at the invitation of the Department for Transport, to increase the numbers of people cycling to work.

You can read the press release here; and the tax reliefs, their design, purpose and illustrative costings here.

Please do pile in; let me know in the comments section below what you think of the proposals – their design, purpose, intention, costings.[/quote]

https://waitingfortax.com/2016/11/10/encouraging-cycling-through-the-tax-system/

I’ve piled in - you can read my thoughts in the comments here

https://waitingfortax.com/2016/11/10/encouraging-cycling-through-the-tax-system/comment-page-1/#comment-3559

Taoschno
10 Nov '16

Hi Nicki,
Did you decide not to come in the end? Or had difficulty finding us? If you live local and still want help with this freewheel, do get in touch again. We’re happy to help.

Best Wishes, Jane

plasticniki
10 Nov '16

Hi Jane,

Sorry - literally ran out of time I’m afraid! I’m off on holiday tomorrow (cycling trip to Majorca) and completely underestimated the stuff I had to sort out! Will come next time for sure.

mseekenna
14 Nov '16

Hi there, hope all is good. Vaidas’s Bike shop is a great shop in Honor Oak Park, and people turn up there at 8.00am on Sunday Mornings going out for a social ride, about 28 miles. usually back within about 2 hours. Nice group of people, and some go for a coffee afterwards. I hear you about commuting, though i do commute by bike. There is a fantastic route from Forest Hill/Honor Oak through Peckham and Burgess park which ends at Elephant & Castle via the quiet routes for instance. A bit of research usually gets the quietest route somewhere. A friend of mine gives cycle training bespoke to whatever level you are at for cycling in traffic for instance. In terms of Clubs, I joined Dulwich Paragon, they are very sporty cyclists, there are plenty of clubs about, just research to see what they are into. Beckhenam Rugby Cyclists seems a very relaxed and friendly bunch for instance. See you on the Road, and If you want to go for a cycle let me know.

charmie258
27 Nov '16

Thank you everyone for your kind responses!!! And apologies for taking so long to reply!! :slight_smile:

anon5422159
27 Dec '16
anon5422159
27 Dec '16

:information_source: We have an opt-in category for Cycling discussions on SE23.life. To join, visit the Cycling group page and click “Join Group”

Also join our SE23.life Strava Group.

I have closed this topic as it’s now redundant (since people can opt themselves into the Cyclists group).

This topic was also collecting a lot of discussions that might have been better as individual topics.