Archived on 6/5/2022

Can anyone recommend a company that offers full gas boiler cover?

Gillipops
19 Apr '18

Hiya

I’ve just had my renewal notice from D&G (Domestic and General). They’ve been fine, however, despite promising me that the ‘healthier my boiler gets the lower my insurance cover will be’ …it’s gone up this year. I’ve appealled, and just like my appeal to Sheila’s Wheels re: my car cover - it feels like they actually want to get rid of existing customers.

I could go on ‘compare the market’…but before I do, I am just interested if there is anyone out there who can recommend somewhere (preferably local) that will accept monthly direct debit for gas boiler + parts inc. service cover. I’m totally not interested in the ‘big boyz’ i.e. Britiish Gas. They were horrendous years ago - too big, arrogant, outgrown their efficiency. I’d have no hot water and heating for weeks when I was with them!

Happy to go with a smaller company, as long as they are prompt, know what they’re doing and cheaper than the £18.76 a month I’m now being asked to stump up.

Foresthillnick
19 Apr '18

Well LMS gas services are lovely and local but I don’t know if they will do a monthly thing. They do excellent work and are prompt - they installed ours and we get them in every year (it is well overdue actually) for a service - just not sure they do the cover thing.

RachaelDunlop
19 Apr '18

Once I discovered LMS about eight years ago, I ditched my gas cover. Most years all I need is a service which usually comes in at under £100. When I need actual work done, it’s always been very reasonably priced and I have rarely spent more than a few hundred in any given year. You could put £20 a month away into a savings account against your annual service and any potential extras and still have a chunk of change left over most years.

Wynell
19 Apr '18

Whatever you do do not use 247 Home rescue! They are total crooks once you sign up with them there is no cancellation unless you pay £100. Its hidden in their terms. They have fantastic reviews but further investigation shows them to be bogus. Check the web for real reviews took me months and threat of legal action to break contract.

applespider
19 Apr '18

Open a new savings account and put your current monthly fee into it especially if your boiler is getting to that ‘won’t replace’ age.

6 months of premiums is likely to cover an annual service. And the rest goes towards a major repair or new boiler when the time comes.

Gillipops
23 Apr '18

Thank you to everyone for your advice…and thanks @Wynell for advising me not to take 247 Home Rescue…it came up countless times on my search. I finished up taking a deal with Scottish Power. Not only is it cheaper than my company before, but the boiler gets a free annual service and it’s all ‘covered’ by the same insurance company D&G!!! I rang D&G to let them know I was leaving them for another provider - and hey presto, they started pulling better deals out of the bag. This was after them originally writing to me staunchly refusing to offer me a better price. I’m still sticking with the Scottish Power deal tho. It’s amazing what can happen when you shop around!

GillB
24 Apr '18

It’s always the same. Anyone will tell you that as soon as you threaten to leave or in your case do leave (Ive done this myself) hey presto as you say they can all of a sudden produce deals or discounts they didn’t have before. Perhaps companies need to start looking at loyalty a bit more.

Wynell
26 Apr '18

Exactly the same as car insurance, i have two years running stayed with same company but ignored renewal details. Just go online get new quote and hey presto its cheaper than the ‘your a valued customer price’ crazy they just dont appreciate loyalty.

jrothlis
27 Apr '18

I’ve been with eSure for a few years, and their renewals are always bang on the money. I always do price comparisons just to check the market hasn’t shifted, and they are always very near the top (by a few pounds, not worth the hassle of changing).