Archived on 6/5/2022

Capitol tops SE London Wetherspoons rankings

ThorNogson
2 Nov '18

slightly subversive and mostly idle blogger Deserter publishes a highly subjective assessment of all 15 Wetherspoons in SE London, in which Forest Hill comes out on top.

ForestHull
2 Nov '18

Looks like quite a mission for the reviewer to have visited them all. But I’m disappointed all the trips weren’t in one weekend. It would be a cheap pub crawl at least!

GillB
3 Nov '18

I cannot see what the attraction of the Wetherspoons in Forest Hill is, & above all the others :face_with_monocle: but each to their own I suppose.

Londondrz
3 Nov '18

I have to say I like it. Superb building and some interesting characters within. Cheap beer. What’s not to like? :grinning:

applespider
3 Nov '18

It got most of its points for the building!

GillB
3 Nov '18

The building yes, I can understand :grinning:

JonnoPrice
7 Apr '19

Feel like giving a shoutout to our local Wetherspoon - The Capitol… just had a decent burger and a beer for a song. The interior is ace with loads of space and a funky old deco style. Honest, cheap and cheerful with friendly staff… No need for the stigma… The place is well cool.

Anotherjohn
7 Apr '19

To me, its honesty has accidentally turned it into the coolest place around.
I love the total diversity of its clientelle, especially in the evenings, when you’ve got everyone from yer archetypal boozer bloke through to the barrister who’s popped in on his way home.
There’s the solo drinker and groups having a bite to eat - and there’s a buzz in the place.
It’s interesting, architecturally, which adds to this strange brew - and it’s in our town.
Best of all, you can get a meal with a beer and a dessert for tuppence ha’p’ny when most of the places round here want to have yer arm off!

anon86223367
7 Apr '19

I’ve definitely been in a few of the groups you’ve mentioned LOL.

I went to Everyman Cinema in Crystal Palace last night and it was exactly what the Capitol could be if it ever did change hands. Do I want the Capitol to change hands though? Absolutely not.

starman
8 Apr '19

Has anyone noticed whether the Capitol have removed most of their selection of European beer, wines and spirits?

Andy
9 Apr '19

The German beers that had been here for five years achieved settled status, while the free Czech spirits of less than five years have right to remain on the shelves. No change for the new world wines.

starman
9 Apr '19

I gather the new world wines would be unaffected though customer expectations may have been they’d be replaced by a Welsh kardonnay too.

(The h being silent)