Archived on 6/5/2022

Car broken into - Mayow Road

RachaelDunlop
1 Mar '18

I just went out to retrieve my boots from the car and found it had been ransacked. I can’t see evidence of forced entry so we may have left it unlocked. Some Barbour wellies and two pairs of prescription sunglasses stolen (I have a very odd prescription, so good luck to anyone trying to sell those on!). Items of much more but less obvious value (expensive walking boots, for example left behind. If anyone offers you some Barbour wellies for sale, they’re ours!

Annoyingly, whoever it was managed to stay just far enough out of range to not trigger the Ring app to record them.

anon5422159
1 Mar '18

Sorry to hear that @RachaelDunlop :frowning:

Seemingly part of a local trend.

Hopefully only a matter of time before increasing numbers of smart cameras (eg Ring) start catching these crooks in the act.

RachaelDunlop
1 Mar '18

It’s so frustrating - I can see footprints in the snow from the capture yesterday morning when the first person left the house, but they didn’t trigger the motion.

@SgtBiddle Should I report this to 101?

anon51837532
1 Mar '18

Really sorry to hear this.

One of my only real hatreds - thieves.

The fact that they approached the device but the detectors did not trigger is curious.

Have you retested your Ring device - have they found a way to disable it - partially or otherwise ?

Is it operating as expected ?

RachaelDunlop
1 Mar '18

It’s operating fine. The car is parked to the side of the driveway. You have to approach the porch to set off the motion detector. If we have it any wider, it also picks up everyone passing the gate, the birds flying past to their nest in our neighbours tree and even some passing cars. We haven’t been able to find the sweet spot of it triggering for anyone coming up the drive but not every passing soul. So if they got no further than half-way up the drive, they won’t have triggered it.

anon30031319
1 Mar '18

That is so frustrating, annoying and anger inducing. I would think it would be worth the call on 101 for sure, just to get it logged and a CRN if needed.

Sorry to hear this has happened. Almost a small mercy there is no entry damage as that usually ends up being the bit that bites the most with insurance.

anon51837532
1 Mar '18

Understood - I have a number of motion detector devices and have had to cut profile “masks” that narrows the field and direction of detection but maximises the distance.

It’s always a difficult balance.

Have been thinking of upgrading to a Wi-fi of things smart device - but have yet to satisfy myself that the Wi-fi aspects of the device are not in fact a security weakness in themselves when introduced to your home Wi-fi network.

Hence my question.

anon5422159
1 Mar '18

I’ve continued the discussion about IoT security in our “Geeks” category (opt in via @geeks to see this).

A very interesting subject given how ubiquitous these devices are becoming.

RachaelDunlop
1 Mar '18

Thanks for the commiserations, all. I’ve reported it now and have a crime number.

weepy
1 Mar '18

You’d be amazed how often people forget to lock their cars. Far more likely than someone having a special decoder :slight_smile:

SgtBiddle
1 Mar '18

Hi. Please call 101 or report on line.

SgtBiddle

RachaelDunlop
1 Mar '18

Done, thanks Sarg!

RachaelDunlop
1 Mar '18

Our car locks automatically when I get out and walk away. Except if a passenger gets out after me and I’ve already started to move away. I think that’s what happened the other night.

weepy
1 Mar '18

I’ve not been convinced with some of the “next-gen” car locking stuff. All very clever but too many “leaks”.

My S-Max - the key only needs to be in the car, but this has meant that once my wife in the passenger seat took the car out of the car as I dropped her off at a busy junction. The car security went nuts “key outside car” alert.

Also I tried a Renault where the car would unlock if you were carrying the key.

Much prefer just having central locking and that it. Simple UX.

anon51837532
1 Mar '18

Very little consolation here for @RachaelDunlop, but great to see determination leading to a a bit of thief-taking.

An interestingly successful outcome on a different manor.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/police-bust-suspected-car-thieves-after-tracing-footprints-in-the-snow-a3779516.html

NYLON
1 Mar '18

Vodafone announced a partnership with smart things at mobile world congress this week, so if you are an existing customer it may not be long before you’ll get the router bundled in with your home package. No detail of when Uk launch would be though.