Archived on 6/5/2022

Card games / board games evening in an SE23 venue - who’s interested?

anon5422159
10 Aug '16

I’d love to meet SE23.lifers for a board game / card game evening in a local venue. More intimate than our regular meetups, and a nice ice-breaker.

Monopoly / Risk / Scrabble / Poker etc, with some nibbles and drinks. Possibly several games in parallel if we have enough interest. Winners announced on the forum :slight_smile:

Anyone feeling it? What game(s) tickle your fancy?

• Monopoly
  • Risk
  • Scrabble
  • Poker

0 voters

Pauline
10 Aug '16

I can do this at mine :slight_smile:

Pauline
10 Aug '16

I love Monopoly,!

Pauline
10 Aug '16

Monopoly night at mine is coolio :tada::tada:

Andrei
11 Aug '16

Up for a game of monopoly as well, my fiancee is a big rummy fan and can also bring along any of the games from my collection. (See picture below)

Phil
11 Aug '16

I actually contacted the guys who are reopening The Chandos to ask if they could have a selection of board games in there, and they confirmed that they would!

starman
11 Aug '16

Anyone for cribbage?

Andrei
11 Aug '16

What is cribbage?

LE: looks interesting.

anon5422159
11 Aug '16

Have never played it myself but am always up for learning new games. Learnt Risk a couple of years ago and absolutely love it (can’t believe I’d gone for so long without playing it!).

Perhaps we could have a dedicated “Learn Cribbage” night after our first games evening?

starman
11 Aug '16

Its a great social game which is about 50% luck (card draw) and 50% skill.

Andrei
11 Aug '16

It sounds good, willing to give it a go, same as Chris.

Pauline
11 Aug '16

I’ve not played cribbage either, but happy to give it a go!

Pauline
11 Aug '16

I’ve been thinking more about the games night at the shop so what does everyone think about this.

Last Friday of every month at my shop
7-10 or 10.30pm
BYO booze or soft drink - I’ve got fridge space if anyone needs to use it.
Pre book - I only have 3 booths that fit 4 in each so that’s 12 & I could fit folding tables in to seat another 8-10 people - so in total could fit 20-22 people
Small charge (feedback please all, maybe £5?) which includes nibbles for everyone (crudités, sausage rolls, vol au vents, cheese & crackers)

What does everyone think?

If all think this is a good idea I’ll start arranging it :slight_smile:

Andrei
11 Aug '16

Sounds great although I might not make 7 all the time. (more likely to be there at around half past 7)

anon5422159
11 Aug '16

Yes I’m happy to pop £5 in the pot for nibbles, no probs. 7:30 would be better for me too I think.

Pauline
11 Aug '16

Great guys, maybe 7.30-10.30 would be a better time & it gives me more time to set up & lay out the nibbles.

I’d need to know definite numbers so I know how much food to get in too & I’ll advertise it via the shop aswell.

So shall we start the first one on Friday 26th August?

starman
11 Aug '16

Sounds like you’ve got a plan there. I’m not sure how often I could participate as generally my Friday/Saturday evenings are booked with friends and family. I’d be more inclined to join on a week night, or even more likely on a Sunday afternoon. To me board and card games are Sunday afternoon territory. Thought I’d just mention it as I gather there was an interest in cribbage which I might be able to help with at some time.

Just a small point though. I really don’t like booths. They make me feel claustrophobic and I avoid at all costs. Doesn’t stop me from calling into the shop for some sweets and Pauline’s good company but I couldn’t spend an evening in one. I guess though it could be more difficult to find any venue on a Friday for contemplative games.

Good luck.

starman
11 Aug '16

I gather there is a Friday meet up for the 26th?

Andrei
11 Aug '16

We can make it the first Friday of each month as it might overlap the meet ups quite regularly, let me know what you think.

Pauline
11 Aug '16

Happy for all options, just let me know guys xx

Pauline
11 Aug '16

First Friday of the month would be September 2nd

Thoughts guys xx

Pauline
11 Aug '16

Don’t worry, I’ll get some folding tables on the go, I know my booths are not perfect for everyone, but we’ll work around this & make it right! Any folding tables anyone has speak now otherwise I’ll buy a couple :slight_smile:

starman
11 Aug '16

That is a great idea.

Pauline
11 Aug '16

Cool, I’ll get a couple of folding tables which we can set up with atound 8-10 peeps sitting around :+1::+1:

Andrei
11 Aug '16

Edit: nevermind forgot that my plane is on the 3rd of September lol so I’m ok with the 2nd for this month as well.

Pauline
14 Aug '16

Had a chat with @Andrei about this & think it might be better to have games at the library rather than mine, so let’s hold up for now until I discuss it with the others to see if this would be possible :slight_smile:

weepy
14 Aug '16

Settlers of Catan anyone ? Much better than Monolopy …

Ed
14 Aug '16

Would definitely be ‘game’ for some Catan!

weepy
17 Aug '16

Let’s do it!

anon5422159
18 Aug '16

Never played, but always up for learning new games.

Looking forward to this games evening, if/when we’re able to schedule it in the community library. Otherwise perhaps at Chandos V2

Jon_Robinson
19 Aug '16

oh yes! count me in! I’m a card freek - I love card games, and board games. I’m up for poker if anyone fancies that - I know that All in One used to do a poker night on Mondays. Card games, of course, Monopoly, my favourite. Settlers of Catan, not played, but looks good. I’ll make it if I can get a pass for the night.

Nancy
19 Aug '16

We’d definitely be up for that! When we’re up and running let me know when and its a done deal.

Michaella
21 Aug '16

Also up for games - great idea. Have a really good game called Ticket to Ride that we can bring along.

Ed
22 Aug '16

Have a really good game called Ticket to Ride that we can bring along.

Great game!