Archived on 6/5/2022

Catford Bridge Tavern is open for business

SE23.life
31 Mar '17

After entirely rebuilding their roof and bar, this Catford icon is finally open again:

Foresthillnick
1 Apr '17

Looks classy inside too - just my sort of place by the looks of it.
Anyone know who is running it? The same folks as before or…

squashst
1 Apr '17

Popped in today - quite promising. There is a lot of natural light and the sound wasn’t too noisy (bane of many modern day pubs is they are very dark and noise echoes around). A pint of Heineken and peanuts £5.50. There is still some other spaces to open in the building, including a roof terrace.

Foresthillnick
1 Apr '17

Thanks @squashst - sounds like I might enjoy pint in there. That is my my main issue with the Honor Oak - dark and noisy although to be fair I do need to pay them another visit. At least we are very well catered for around here.

simonk133
1 Apr '17

It was previously run by Antic who switched to the Constitutional Club just down the road when their lease was terminated on this place.

Went in today with child. Very busy by early evening. Decent range of beer, the cask ale was all Truman’s but very well kept and a good range of “craft keg” options. Music was a little loud though we were very close to the speaker - felt like more of a late evening volume, though the acoustics made the pub quite noisy regardless.

Decor is hard wooden floors, front bar is similar layout to the old pub, back bar has booth seating and some regular tables. More spacious than the old incarnation. A roof terrace is promised and food starts next week.

Overall, a good effort. Didn’t think it quite had the magic of the Antic run CBT (probably my favourite Antic pub and maybe even my favourite pub in the whole area for the short time it lasted) but good to see it up and running again and the various threats warded off.

(Incidentally, there will shortly be a change to the planning rules which means that pubs can no longer convert to retail without planning permission. The old rules were what caused the original CBT to close, as the owner hoped to convert it to a supermarket until Lewisham Council blocked it with an Article 4 Direction).

Baboonery
3 Apr '17

My favourite Antic pub too, Simon, though it suffered from the Antic disease of being rammed out front while a ‘dining area’ was usually sparsely populated.

ametzelaar
3 Apr '17

Popped in for a pint on Saturday afternoon. Really liked the decor and am so happy to see this place open after all it’s gone through. Looking forward to trying the food and going back when it’s a bit busier!