Archived on 6/5/2022

‘Catford town centre to become the greenest town centre in London’

oakr
17 Jul '21

Catford will be a welcoming place for everyone with 2,700 homes will be built over the next couple of decades with half of these set to be affordable, including 1,000 new social homes.

The heart of the town centre will become largely car-free with generous areas of public space created as the South Circular is rerouted.

The Council’s ambition for a vibrant town centre signals a positive economic future for Catford with new jobs for local people and opportunities for small businesses. Investment in the town’s cultural offer will support Lewisham’s plans for Borough of Culture 2022.

Am really looking forward to seeing what happens with the Town centre once the South Circular is rerouted.

Hopefully the affordable houses really will be affordable.

ChrisR
17 Jul '21

As the article refers specifically to car-free I trust buses will still be able to stop in the town centre!

Dave
17 Jul '21

It’s a very minor rerouting compared to the original vision, isn’t it?

Sherwood
17 Jul '21

I thought the South Circular is planned to go behind Laurence House.
Has the plan changed?

Swagger
17 Jul '21

Hopefully this will mean complete demolition of that ghastly block of flats directly behind the big fiberglass cat. Tesco wouldn’t be happy, though.

ChrisR
18 Jul '21

I think the building you’re referring to is Milford Towers and together with the Catford Shopping Centre is planned to be demolished in phases so that new high rise housing and new shops can be built!

oakr
18 Jul '21

I don’t know, if fully pedestrianised maybe not, or maybe there will be some bus only lanes like near Lewisham centre? Or buses will stop just outside meaning you can have more space for in the pdestrianised area

I’m not sure, is it? I’ve not seen a visual or what it would look like after, is there one out there?

Sherwood
18 Jul '21

Actually Tesco will be very happy. They want a much larger store.

ThorNogson
19 Jul '21

This map is in the council papers setting out the plans.