Archived on 6/5/2022

China House, Dartmouth Road Refurb (now Fu House, same owners)

weepy
18 May '18

Looks like a refurb? Not that I’ve ever seen anyone in there ?!image

jonfrewin
18 May '18

I have a friend who lives near there who is a huge fan of that place. Swears by some secret dishes not on the menu…

starman
18 May '18

… such as?

elvi
18 May '18

Good news! Lovely business owners, decent chinese food ( by London suburb standards), unispiring furnishings inside. We do have dinner there regularly but the decor is very bland and it is always quiet; I think their core business is take- aways and home deliveries.

jonfrewin
18 May '18

I wish I could remember!

RachaelDunlop
18 May '18

We used to order from there a lot when it was Wok Express, but it went downhill a bit and we switch to EXP. Would people recommend giving China House a try?

appletree
19 May '18

EXP?

RachaelDunlop
19 May '18

Also known as The Chinese Experience. It’s in Brokley.

ThorNogson
19 May '18

China House is our go to choice for a home delivery once a month or so. Excellent food and service. All the favourites you’d expect and they have been consistently good. Happy to recommend.

Andy
19 May '18

Chicken madras. I promise. I wouldn’t lie to you.

Hollow
19 May '18

My fav at the moment is Very Nice. Which is on Just Eat. Love their deep fried salt and chilli chicken wings. Although I don’t find any of the Chinese food in the UK particularly great.

anon86223367
19 May '18

House special fried rice is top notch

RachaelDunlop
2 Jun '18

Does anyone know if this has reopened? I noticed the other day the name had changed. I was thinking of ordering tonight, but Just Eat says ‘China House’ is offline.

ThorNogson
5 Jun '18

Was closed when I passed this morning, but the new fascia is unveiled now and it looks as though it is reopening as Fu House, phone no is the same as China House. 020 8699 9111. Can’t see any online menu available yet.

InTheNightGarden
5 Jun '18

It was fantastic as Wok Express, my husband still laments over the spring rolls - they were the size of a glasses case, and packed full of yummy veg. We tried China house a couple of times and did not like it at all. Too greasy, and poor quality ingredients, Meat was gristly. We use Golden Kitchen in Dulwich for delivery. They are superb. And Two Brothers Fish and Kebab shop (who are a few shops along, in Lordship Lane) also deliver delicious food. We will try the new place.

ThorNogson
6 Jun '18

popped in for a chat and to pick up a menu. It is the same owners as China House, a rebrand , addition of new dishes, new menu and refurb of the interior. A very much extended menu vs the China House.

LeeHC
6 Jun '18

I always felt they were missing a trick in terms of the design- they were often looking forlorn out from a empty premises across the road to an (invariably full) Bona pizza. It’s a great location and with the right design (and food!) it could do well.
Matoom thai seems to be doing very well in a less favourable location- its great use of space and modern, welcoming interior must go a long way to drawing in custom.

Pea
6 Jun '18

Interesting. Will give it a try. Does it an eat in option? Nice to see some shops on Dartmouth road updating their store fronts post the work.

We usually use Fortune Inn for takeaway. I’d say it’s the best Chinese I’ve had (takeaway) in the UK. Tasty, not too greasy and really inexpensive. My other half grew up in HK and he’d agree.

ThorNogson
6 Jun '18

yes they have done a make over on the restaurant part. I must confess I didn’t have a particularly good look at it, but my first impression was that it looks quite inviting. Before the refurb we would never eat in because it was usually quite empty (mostly takeaway business I assumed) and also had very bright lighting. Maybe worth another look now. Will also have a look at Fortune inn which sounds excellent.

InTheNightGarden
18 Jun '18

We had a delivery from Fu house. The menu is very complicated, and they are trying to do far too much. Chinese, Thai, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Indian. Quality is average, but portions are laughably mean for the inflated prices. £5.90 for a portion of sweet and sour, Hong Kong style. The dish it came in was about 6 inches wide and 2 inches deep. Not dissimilar to the size of a pot of coleslaw from the supermarket. The chow main was also in a very small container. We will go back to Golden kitchen in Dulwich in the future.