Archived on 6/5/2022

Christmas trees

Howdo
7 Dec '19

Any local recommendations for sourcing a tree?
Thanks in anticipation

oakr
7 Dec '19

We’ve used Shannon’s just of the South Circular near the railway telegraph - I think they can deliver as well @Shannonsgc . We’ll use them this year as I just like Shannon’s generally and like to support them.

We’ve also used The Christmas Forest before who use the car park of the Streatham and Marlborough cricket club on the corner of the South Circular where it turns left to head towards Dulwich Park.

Plenty of other places, but these are the only 2 we’ve used, both have friendly, helpful staff and lots of choice of trees.

ChrisR
7 Dec '19

Shannons Garden Centre on Stanstead Road (the part that isn’t the South Circular - next to the new Co-Op) or there is usually someone selling them from the space on Perry Vale (between the station entrance and Forest Hill Cars) but I haven’t been past for a while so can’t guarantee they’re there this year.

starman
7 Dec '19

Thumbs up for Christmas Forest. They have a few different type of trees (e.g. Fraser Fir) and more heights. We’ve got beautiful ones.

Though @Shannonsgc also have beautiful trees. Plus they’re all “unwrapped” for viewing. If you were looking for a standard style they’re probably the best.

Howdo
7 Dec '19

Thanks for the replies. Really helpful. Went to Shannon’s and got a beauty. The place by Forest Hill station was trying to charge £80 for a 6 foot tree! Avoid.

Clair
8 Dec '19

Yep @Shannonsgc too! Bought ours there yesterday lots of lovely trees.

EmmaJ
8 Dec '19

Another vote for Shannons here, went down after lunch on Saturday and they delivered for free in the evening. Good selection including the Frasier pines.

divya_m
8 Dec '19

Does anyone have a phone number for the christmas tree sellers at the Plough. We forgot to get it when ordering the tree and no sign of the tree yet.

Irmani_Smallwood
8 Dec '19

We love Shannon’s. Our sixth tree in a row - love the free delivery and also the fact that we are supporting a brilliant local business. Such nice people! Our 6 foot tree this year was also only £55 so felt like great value too.

maxrocks
9 Dec '19

Shannons are great!
good quality plants and trees and run by lovely people.
give the ones by the station a miss-too expensive AND they’ve stuck an ad on the railings of our FH tree giving the impression they supplied it.
Shannons is jot just a seasonal business and deserve local support

Billie
9 Dec '19

I agree. Shannons are not just for Christmas. They are a great local business with lots of helpful knowledge.

marymck
9 Dec '19

They try the same thing with the sign every year at the Kirkdale tree, which they have no association with. It’s false advertising as well as fly posting and a bloody cheek. They tie wrap the sign quite high up on a lamp post but it’s still quite easily removable.

se23blue
9 Dec '19

And year after year Lewisham Council take no action against them.