Archived on 6/5/2022

Church Rise Tipping Point

thirstforwine
18 May '16

A question for the local experts (@anon64893700 in particular).

I’ve been living opposite Church Rise for 10+ years and it seems to me that this tree is tipping more than it has before. Is it my imagination, or is it possible that the building work behind has encouraged it to lean towards the road (dangerously)? I don’t recall all those cracks in the pavement before either.

anon64893700
18 May '16

I think the dumping aspect is a sad but common thing found around building sites, and not helped by one of the VERY local residents being an habitual hoarder, and subsequent dumper. It’s certainly not a very pretty sight at all.

As for the tree, I think its more an illusion than anything, it still allows transit vans almost to the kerb, and beheads luton vans haha. The patchy repairs to the pavements nearby make the cracks look worse too. Pretty sure there is some gradual movement all the same though. Hardly a long term sustainable angle, especially if some of its root network was where has just been excavated.

ArthurPint
18 May '16

Looked about the same in 2008:

thirstforwine
18 May '16

maybe - I checked those too - hard to tell. It was the cracks in the pavement that made me concerned - like it was straining more

anon64893700
18 May '16

I think there is definitely some progress since the Google view was done, I will have a proper look and compare tonight while out with the wolves.

Will grab a comparison too.

anon64893700
19 May '16

Hmmm tough to tell now.

anon5422159
19 May '16

Did they just fix it (in the last 24hrs)?! Must be some keen se23.life watchers in the council!

anon64893700
19 May '16

Haha don’t get too carried away just yet @anon5422159 Was started a few days back. New financial year and all, they are out to spend spend spend.
Been out repairing pavements all over the place, except where really needed of course.
On the plus side, any more movement will show clear as day.

Londondrz
26 May '16

If you look at it on Google maps form the street point of view there is a tab that allows you to go back to prior views, as far as 2008 I think. You can compare from there. Plane trees are pretty resilient and judging by the base of the trunk it looks OK. If there is a tree next to it the tree in the shade will grow towards light.