Archived on 6/5/2022

CLAIMED: Computer recycling/donations in Forest Hill?

Bolgerp
1 Jun '17

I have a Dell Inspiron One 2320 (link to review below) which I am looking to get rid of as I have a brand new shiny machine. It’s in very decent nick. I have tried to reset it back to a fresh install of Windows but I don’t think that has worked very well. So, it will probably need someone with some IT knowledge to get it running again. However, before I tried to reset it, it was running the latest version of Windows 10 without any issues.

This is NOT a portable device so would be suitable in a school/home/charity/office setting where it would remain static.

First option:
If anyone would like it, you’re more than welcome to it for free. You’d have to come collect it from Sunderland Road and it’s not something you can easily carry by hand for long distances. It will need a keyboard and mouse as I am keeping the wireless ones it came with.

Second Option:
If no one wants it, I will dispose of it through a recycler/disposal firm. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good IT equipment recycling company, locally or some where that will come and collect?

Many thanks in advance!

P.

Foresthillnick
1 Jun '17

Try http://ecocommunities.co.uk if you need to get rid of it but nice of you to offer it for free!

Bolgerp
1 Jun '17

Thanks Nick… tried them… their Computer section of the website is literally blank… which leads me to believe they have stopped the service.

I am struggling to find anyone who takes single/individual items… they’re all geared towards larger collections.

anon51837532
1 Jun '17

Paul

I have the software to make Windows 10 re-install correctly.

I can also see that this model is selling on e-bay today at anything between £200 to £285.

If you are minded - I could make the device work, it could be sold on ebay and you could donate funds to say a local charity or voluntary organisation (local library?)

What processor and RAM has been installed on your model ?

RachaelDunlop
1 Jun '17

Maybe try contacting Ecocommunities through Sydenham Library, which I believe they run? I’ve donated computers and AV equipment to them in the past.

There must be some other charities locally too that could use it.

Edited to say: I like @anon51837532’s suggestion a lot.

starman
1 Jun '17

Or use the money to buy Cirque du Soleil tickets for our holiday in Montreal in July. But this is a good idea too.

Bolgerp
1 Jun '17

Thanks JG… I will give the reset another go this weekend and see where it goes. If it doesn’t work, I think your suggestion is an excellent idea.

Foresthillnick
1 Jun '17

@Simon works with Darren from Ecocommunities in FH library and I know they are always after PCs.
I think the website is brand new and looks like it hasn’t been finished yet - Never launch an incomplete site :sob:

Stephen
1 Jun '17

What he says, definitely worth a reinstall and selling on and donating the proceeds to charity if you like. Good to see no-one tried to take advantage of you giving it away to make a quick buck by slapping it straight on eBay.

Bolgerp
1 Jun '17

I was only going to give it to a charity or organisation that I was comfortable with anyway, so no fear of it getting into the wrong hands, so to speak. :slight_smile:

Toyin
1 Jun '17

Hello
I would like to collect this for my kids homwork if still available.
Thanks in advance

Bolgerp
1 Jun '17

@toyin you only joined 9 minutes ago and posted 6 minutes ago… forgive me if I am a bit skeptical.

Toyin
1 Jun '17

I do understand. I just discovered this website while searching for one on gumtree so i am unsure gow things work here.

Bolgerp
1 Jun '17

No problem… I still need to play around with resetting the machine as I am not comfortable giving it away until I am sure all my personal info has been deleted. Should get to this at the weekend. Will post an update.

Toyin
1 Jun '17

No worries.
Thanks in advance

Mr_Robin_Banks
1 Jun '17

i’ll give ya 20 bones 4 it :sunglasses:

maggie2016
4 Jun '17

Hi Do u still have this computer or has it gone
Please need one for church

Bolgerp
4 Jun '17

Thanks all for your interest. This has now gone.

anon5422159
4 Jun '17
system
3 Aug '17

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.